Setting Vpn to access from outside

• In vpn client. Select the certificate you have imported and select connect.

Ok so, i just install my client for my pc or phone o other, i import my certificate and select connect to use tunnel connection? everything i use after this is always crypted or protected?

Openvpn or Openvpnas? which is better? vpnas is limited its true (2 users)?

• Sweet. People talking crazy stuff at home so happy to help.

When overseas and you connect via vpn you will understand how good it is.

You need good internet connection at home as upload speed is max download speed when connecting over vpn

• I installed openvpn gui on win10, and it works. I tried to test on my android with openvpn client and everything its good. I just understand what is the different for me, and test to stream my doc over vpn from remote client. I opened a new thread for this.

your software is a client on win10? right?

• good stuff.

So everything working when you connect using VPN when remote? you can access server/services/files and also open web pages ok using chrome or another browser on the remote client when you have VPN connected?

If so you are good to go!

I don't really use windows but I have a gaming pc for my son so I installed a VPN client (see above post) and tested to see if i could make it work. I think you have installed a VPN client (openVPN gui) and if that is working for you then that is all you need.

• I need to understand what you want/need from the VPN solution/service. Installing VPN on OMV creates a local VPN server (totally free) and this is different to a VPN service that are usually designed to do 2 things:

1. hide your internet IP for security
    2. provide access to services outside of your 'home' country from within your 'home' country (e.g. US streaming services not available in europe)

I use the OMV VPN plug-in for 2 main reasons.

1. remote access to my home network / computers when away from home
    2. access to my home country streaming services when out of the country (e.g. access sky, BBC iplayer when on holiday)

For the 2 purposes above, OMV works great but this is not the same as what commercial VPN services do.

In regard to your specific question around dedicated (fixed IP), I do not think this will change the cost of a commercial VPN service but you can ask a VPN service provider.

good luck!

• Hello,
    I installed OpenVPN plug-in and when I want to change settings every time I click save i get this message:

: Missing 'required' attribute 'gateway_interface'.

What is going vrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks

• Well, i need a vpn for the first two things, hiding ip for security reasons and accessing services outside of home country. Thanks for suggestion. Any good vpn you recommend?

• HI, I can suggest you to read this, I had the same problem like you, and I get the solution setting the plug-in in this way

quote='jata1'

I'm assuming you are going to use an FTP client on the device to connect to the FTP server. If not, please let me know how you are going to connect via FTP. you can use a web browser for example.

• turn on FTP on OMV and test you can access shared folder via FTP while on local network
    • on your router, setup a port forward rule that that forwards TCP port 20021 to local IP of OMV on TCP port 21
    • create a FTP connection on the client by using the following settings:

• IP address for FTP server = IP of internet address (DDNS)
      • port for FTP server = port 20021 (or what ever you used for external port to forward on your router

If above is working, the port forwarding rule will forward your FTP connection to the FTP server on OMV

that's the basic process to make this work.

you should know that different router's have different ways of setting up port forwarding but you can google this![/quote]

• HI, I can suggest you to read this, I had the same problem like you, and I get the solution setting the plug-in in this way

• my take on the poster's question is that they are looking for a commercial VPN service and not a local VPN server on their OMV.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful but my answer is that I don't know which is the best value/performance VPN service. I would try googling 'best VPN service' and have a look at the prices and performance/restrictions. You will probably find some that have a free trial and this will be a good way to find a good one.

Good luck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!