Slow streaming videos over ddns and sftp

• Hi guys,

i have an old pc, dual core 2.2ghz with 2 gb ram, i know its not really fast, but it work great. My vdsl its 80/25 mbit and i try to stream some films over ddns with sftp. I tried to stream some films on lan and everything was good, but if i try to do the same thing with sftp and ddns by my phone, my omv doen't go any faster than 1/2 mbit! ;(;( . So depends on...? Whats the problem? Anyone can help me or suggest any solution? I understand that i can't stream a films with high bitrate, but even a mkv 200mb?

Thank you.

• are you using wifi or mobile network when connecting on your phone? If mobile then the speed could be limited by the mobile connection speed.

I have no trouble with my iPhone on 4G and 3G but you need a good signal.

Have you tested using VPN rather than FTP?

suggest you do a speed test of your mobile connection to see if this is the issue.

• sincerely i connected both on my lan, omv by cable and phone on wifi. so if i connect using ftp, everything is ok, a see my files and doc, but if i start a films 200 mbyte or mkv 11 Gb 8) , the problem don't change. My lan is a 100 Mbit, and my vdsl is 80/25 Mbit so, what is the problem? I saw now that my vpn is 10 Mbit! ;(;(
    I could improve this?

• VPN at 10mb is just a default label for the interface so you can ignore this.

Your vpn should use all of available connection and this will max at 25mb as you are using the upload side of your dsl line.

Maybe the issue is the ftp.

Have you tried using samba? smb://

• What I'm not sure if you are connecting using vpn or if you have the issue on your local network. Can you confirm?

If on local network do not use VPN.

We need to fix issue on local network if you have problem streaming ftp over wifi locally

• On lan i have any problem at all, on sftp and vpn over sftp i cant streaming any videos normally. So, on vpn i think its limited to 10mb, but i connected my phone using sftp, i browse all files and when i started to stream some videos my phone was always buffering. So i cant understand if the problem is my network, or my nas, o what.

• Try just ftp not sftp and see if this is better. Using your android phone on wifi and remote/mobile try these tests.

Use the free app ES explorer as this can be used for samba and ftp

Test 1: ftp on lan/wifi
    Test 2: smb on lan/wifi
    Test 3: ftp on VPN on mobile network
    Test 4: smb on VPN on mobile network

• Ok, this is my value in each situation:

I use my omv just to save my doc, to view films i use raspberry pi b+ through lan and HDMI to Tv.

Test 1: Sftp on lan/wifi ==> 90Mbit/90Mbit
    Test 2: smb on lan/wifi ==> 90Mbit/60Mbit more or less 8o
    Test 3: Sftp on VPN on mobile network 100 Kbyte/s ;(
    Test 4: smb on VPN on mobile network 2.5 Mbyte/s :(

Unfortunately i cannot connect with ftp, just sftp. I try to resolve this problem soon. If i browse my videos from tv everything is ok, also through raspberry.I use ES explorer for android this is a fantastic application, but my settings for lan or remote ftp was incorrect, and i'm still working on it.

• Ok. That's helpful. Main problem is sftp. Smb over vpn is fine for streaming if really 2.5mb/sec x 8 = 20mbit/sec.

You said you had 25mbit upload on your dsl and you are getting 20 so that is good.

Have no idea what the issue is with sftp. You are better using ftp with VPN as the VPN is already encrypted

In ES explorer manually configure the connection and use IP address not dhcp name. Same setup process for both ftp and smb

• After many test some fails some good i was able to connect on ftp my phone through vpn on lan, and vpn on mobile network. So by lan with or without a vpn the streaming was good, obviously i'm in lan ^^ . But when i'm on mobile network, whether i'm on vpn or not, my omv not streaming nothing. I dont know what can i do!
    Any suggestion?

• Not sure sorry. Do the file copy transfer speed test with ftp and smb with vpn on mobile network and see what you get.

Have you deleted the ftp port forward on router? I don't think this will help but worth checking. You only need the port forward for vpn nothing else.

• The vpn work great, i forwarded that port, so i think its my limit, but this is not the end, i'll try again and hope to find a way to stream my video over ftp with o without vpn.
    So i really appreciated your help and specially your time.

Thanks so much 8)8)

After all, Tomorrow is another day

• @Paperino78 hope today is a better day than yesterday. I will try to help you some more.

I did some testing this morning and had no problem direct streaming mp4 files over VPN on mobile (4G) but did have an issue with an avi file that i used for testing. Perhaps this is the same issue you have...

I will share with you my setup and hopefully this helps you.

Media server - macmini 2012 - not very powerful but fine for a media server. this mac has Plex server running on it and is used for all streaming. local and remote. films, tv, music etc. It has local storage but also accesses files on my OMV server

OMV server - Raspberry Pi (v3) - NAS/backup and file server. used for VPN and has some media files (films) that are accessed by the media server / plex. If I need to access files (docs only - not media) then i can use VPN.

Plex (on macmini) - This is the most important service for streaming all of my DVD library that I have converted to mp4 / mkv. You do not need VPN to use this locally or remotely.

VPN (on OMV/RPi) - i use VPN for accessing docs (not media) on my network. I also use VPN when I am overseas so that I can use all of my streaming services such as BBC iplayer, Sky, Netflix as the VPN makes the connection through my home country so no restrictions. This is the most important use for VPN (for me).

Using the setup above, I have access to all my personal media without using VPN, FTP, SFTP so speed is very fast and I never have any problems. Only when I need BBC iPlayer or Sky when I am overseas do I use VPN.

Can you tell me more about your setup. You said you have a RPi but this does not have OMV on it. Correct? what you you use it for? Is it connected to your TV as a media player (HDMI?).

To do more testing on your network, you need a network monitoring/analyser. I use an app called Network Analyser (iOS) but there is a version for Android. Can you install this and run a speed test when VPN connected?

Hope this can help you think about how to setup without needing to use ftp, sftp or VPN to stream video.

• HI, today seems to be a good day man. Probably I didn't know what could I do on my vpn, so I can't imagine that just vpn was a system to connect on my network.

So after this, I tried to watch some videos on 4g over vpn and finally I got it. The speed was not so high, 400-500 kbyte, a half mbit but without sftp and ftp I see what I'm working for.

This is my network and nas.
    I have a old raspberry b+ 512 mb ram, I use it to watch my films. It is connected by hdmi at my TV and I installed on raspy the better movie player, kodi. Is connected on lan, it's a better way to stream all my stuff.

Then I have a PC ( it should be better rpi 3, but this is another things) dual core 2 gb ram, and omv. Inside there's 3 HD, with transmission I find and download everything I need, so by rpi I browse my files and watch them on TV on lan.

Now, I watched my films on my phone on vpn, it should be better may I have some speed again. My upload is 25mbit, nor so bad.
    On my omv (PC) there's a plex server, a plug-in of omv, so I can use this method to watch some videos.

I will try again, see you soon.

P.s
    Rpi3 like a nas with omv, it's possible? There's no problem like bottleneck with lan/USB?

• HI, today seems to be a good day man. Probably I didn't know what could I do on my vpn, so I can't imagine that just vpn was a system to connect on my network.

So after this, I tried to watch some videos on 4g over vpn and finally I got it. The speed was not so high, 400-500 kbyte, a half mbit but without sftp and ftp I see what I'm working for.

This is my network and nas.
    I have a old raspberry b+ 512 mb ram, I use it to watch my films. It is connected by hdmi at my TV and I installed on raspy the better movie player, kodi. Is connected on lan, it's a better way to stream all my stuff.

Then I have a PC ( it should be better rpi 3, but this is another things) dual core 2 gb ram, and omv. Inside there's 3 HD, with transmission I find and download everything I need, so by rpi I browse my files and watch them on TV on lan.

Now, I watched my films on my phone on vpn, it should be better may I have some speed again. My upload is 25mbit, nor so bad.
    On my omv (PC) there's a plex server, a plug-in of omv, so I can use this method to watch some videos.

I will try again, see you soon.

P.s
    Rpi3 like a nas with omv, it's possible? There's no problem like bottleneck with lan/USB?

• Happy you had more luck today.

kodi and plex are similar - actually plex is a fork of XBMC which is now named kodi. I have used both plex and kodi but i prefer plex because it is easier and works really well when you are remote. Plex has excellent client apps that connect to the plex server without any VPN etc.

I run Plex on my mac so i don't know anything about the plex plug-in from OMV.

I have no problem with using RPi as a NAS. You are correct that RPi has a 100mbit network adapter and this is a limit but it works fine for me (2-3 streams simultaneous is fine). If it had faster network, it would be perfect as a low powered NAS for storage not as a streaming/transcoding server.

Given the equipment you have, I would suggest that you look at running Plex server on the PC with OMV. It might struggle with transcoding but worth checking it out. as long as your media files are mp4 - these will play direct so no need to transcode.

On the RPi, you should be able to install a plex client that connects to your TV (but I'm not sure of this). I use Apple TV and the Plex client on this is amazing. There are other cheap streaming boxes - Roku are really good and this also has a plex client.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

• I bought rpi b+ 2-3 years ago, I was curious and I liked me. Now I'm running kodi because is the only system, maybe there are anothers around, where can I put player and server web, is always Linux Debian, so on rpi I run a Web server and I can't change it for plex or similar. Maybe if I buy rpi 3, can I set this like a plex player.
    I'd like to shutdown my pc with omv and find something cheap like rpi3, where to install omv but I can't, I don't know where put my doc, films, etc, I.have 3 hdd totally 2,5tb.

I tried to stream something with vpn today and it was good, not so much, but good. I was on vpn, but if I want to do a same thing, I need a ftp or plex system, or sftp right, with or without vpn.

You use rpi to create a vpn? Your files, films for example, do you download it? With rpi or Mac, and if you use rpi use at the same time an external hard drive?

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!