NextCloud Installation Q & A

• Hey,
    Thank you in advance for your guide. I've read it would also be possible with php 7(.2).
    I would like to install nc13 on my odroid hc2 with omv4. My plan is to install nc12 first and then update to 13, but unfortunately I am a beginner with linux,php an omv.
    I would be very happy if someone could give me the commands to run it with php7 and I could then upgrade to nc13 (Pre-Installation Steps 1a and if more customization is necessary)
    Many thanks in advance

• Hey,
    Thank you in advance for your guide. I've read it would also be possible with php 7(.2).
    I would like to install nc13 on my odroid hc2 with omv4. My plan is to install nc12 first and then update to 13, but unfortunately I am a beginner with linux,php an omv.
    I would be very happy if someone could give me the commands to run it with php7 and I could then upgrade to nc13 (Pre-Installation Steps 1a and if more customization is necessary)
    Many thanks in advance

Why would you want to install NC12 first? You could as well install NC13 directly (link). Botch support PHP 5.6 & 7.x
    As I remember these steps are quite acurate for later versions as well.
    I'm planning to install OMV4 on an odroid (XU4q) as well in the coming weeks so maybe I can help later on.

• Thanks for the quick answer. That sounds good. To be honest, I have to read myself a little bit, as the guide assumes more basic knowledge than I expected at first^^.
    Maybe I will simply get nextcloudplus(pi) via docker. I was already enthusiastic about the ncp panel. Do you think this would run on our h2/XU4q: ownyourbits/nextcloudplus-armhf or must it be special for arm64?^^

• Maybe I will simply get nextcloudplus(pi) via docker.

I had several problems with with the installation, letsencrypt and php7. Finally I used the official docker compose and it was the easiest way so far. It consists of four containers: Database. Nextcloud, nginx proxy and letsencrypt-companion. But I don't know if it works with the Odroid board.

• Thanks for the warning and tip. That's what I'll do then. Now I just need to know if it works with arm64.?
    Unfortunately this is my first contact with docker, too bad that there is no guide yet. Where do I write all the config/variables?

and sry for my stupid questions

• I hope it's ok if I post this here because I don't want to hijack this thread.

This was my first try with docker too and I'm not sure if I can help you with that.
    Docker should run on ARM64 but as far as I know the docker images are not cross platform compatible.

The Nextcloud GitHub has a directory .examples where the compose configs and a manual are located. I just downloaded the whole example directory, decided that I want an nginx proxy with apache, changed the necessary parts in the config files and executed the commands docker-compose build --pull and docker-compose up -d. Here are my configs. Maybe they will help you.

Code: db.env
    MYSQL_PASSWORD=secret
    MYSQL_DATABASE=nextcloud
    MYSQL_USER=nextcloud

It is a good idea to remove all docker compose parts that are left with docker-compose down --rmi all -v if you want to start from scratch. And please take my advice with a grain of salt as I don't really know what I'm doing. :D

• Thanks for the quick answer. That sounds good. To be honest, I have to read myself a little bit, as the guide assumes more basic knowledge than I expected at first^^.
    Maybe I will simply get nextcloudplus(pi) via docker. I was already enthusiastic about the ncp panel. Do you think this would run on our h2/XU4q: ownyourbits/nextcloudplus-armhf or must it be special for arm64?^^

I really doubt this will work for odroid. This sit ementions it's compiled for rpi. So most probably this will not run on odroid because it's not compiled for this soc.

You can try the 'normal' way. It sounds difficult at first, but once you understand the logic behind a LAMP/LEMP you can do many nice projects in the future.

• Hallo zusammen,

leider finde ich keine Lösung für mein Problem aber evtl. kann mir ja jemand helfen.

Ausgangssituation:
    OMV 3 [192.168.178.31]
    mysql per plugin [192.168.178.31/mysql]
    NC per Docker [192.168.178.31:81]

Ich kann mich im der DB verbinden wenn die NC installation lokal ist, bei einer Installation über Docker bekomme ich immer folgende Fehlermeldung von NC zurück:

Fehler Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] Connection refused

was mache ich falsch?

Danke schonmal vorab für die Unterstützung.

• I migrated from OMV3 to OMV4 with some challenges, but everything works like it is supposed to be, except the point, that I get this warning from nextcloud:

Code
    The test with getenv(\"PATH\") only returns an empty response

a configuration problem in php.ini or php-pool?

seems to occur after setting

Code
    fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock;

in server config to avoid 502 Bad Gateway

Nextcloud security check gives me

Code
    Rating A+

Running Nextcloud 13.0.0.14

NOT on latest patch level

but I installed latest 13.0.2 already?!

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• the getenv is fixable.
    Look in the config pool that I've posted in the tutorial
    and check your /etc/php-fpm.d/www.conf

Code
    env[HOSTNAME] = $HOSTNAME
    env[PATH] = /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
    env[TMP] = /tmp
    env[TMPDIR] = /tmp
    env[TEMP] = /tmp

However, I recommend do a new installation since you're migrated from OMV3 to OMV4.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• What way would you recommend to migrate all data, calendar, kontacts, users and so on?

I have round about 200 GB in my cloud, lots of pictures and videos made by mobile devices and auto-uploaded through nextcloud app from 15 users. They sync to their stationary devices, so if timestamp changes, all clients would redownload all the stuff. I have a good connection (40 Mbit up), but it would still take quite a while. Most important would be calendar settings, my wife would panic when she looses all of her appointments. :/

Edit:
    I use exact your provided

Code
    env[HOSTNAME] = $HOSTNAME
    env[PATH] = /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
    env[TMP] = /tmp
    env[TMPDIR] = /tmp
    env[TEMP] = /tmp

to define my php-pool in nginx-settings.

Terry Pratchett

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• You should back up your data before you do a clean installation.

Try this:

1. Put NC in Maintenance mode.
    2. rename your NC folder to Nextcloud-old
    3. Download the current NC
    4. Extract the downloaded file
    5. Copy the config.php, apps, and data folder to the new NC directory.
    6. Test NC.

FYI: I'm not responsible for data loss.

Your path may be different.

I did a few times in the path, there is no re-download data like you mentioned.

The data folder is in : /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/www/nextcloud/data

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I extracted my /nextcloud/data to a different location, my shares are

/Storage/nextcloud/nextcloud
    /Storage/nextcloud/nextcloud_data

Is it neccessary to install nc fresh or just unzip the package, since all relevant installation information such as database access, data dir, user is already set in my backuped config.php?

Since both folders are on ZFS and daily snapshots are done, easy to set back if something goes wrong. I have daily backups of SQL as well.

Terry Pratchett

• Hello awesome people,

I'm trying to install NC on OMV and I've followed the guide step-by-step but when I try to access the server trough 192.168.1.75:90 I'm getting Error 404.

Sorry, I've tried some things from the previous pages but didn't resolve. I'm no expert :(

I'm getting this erro on log.

Any help? Thanks

• Just unzip the package, and copy all your necessary settings to the new directory. It should be enough.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• I did a fresh install, copied my config.php to the dir and deleted data (since i specified another path for that), works, but gave me a data integrity error. Rechecking solved the problem (mainly app data was wrong)

I managed to get rid of the

Code
    The test with getenv(\"PATH\") only returns an empty response

message by uncommenting

Code
    clear_env = no

in

Code
    /etc/php/7.0/fpm/pool.d/www.conf

I still have the issue with security scan detecting wrong version

Terry Pratchett

• Hey there!

I'm new to Docker and upgraded just a day ago from OMV 2.0 to OMV 4.0 (new installation). So I pulled the official NextCloud-Image, that worked. But when I click on "run image" - I got no clue what to select. Everything I tried (which was logical to me), failed.

Can anybody please take a screenshot for me? I want to have it "bridged", if possible.

And what about Watchtower? Should I use it? Help would be also nice. :)

Thank you in advance!

Mark

- Meine Kenntnisse in der englischen Sprache sind leider sehr begrenzt. -

• I tried installing the newest version 13.0.3 of NC on my fresh OMV install (4.1.7) and I also ran into the "permission denied" error with Nginx when trying to open http://192.168.0.xx:90/. Turns out that you need to set every folder in the entire path to +x for Nginx to work...

Also, can someone tell me why NC should be installed on the shared folder/drive of the storage disk(s) instead of the OS drive? Everything else is installed on the OS drive so why not NC?

• Because many people use a small SSD or even a flash drive for OMV OS with small capacity. NC data dir is placed within web root (but can be moved). So when your NC users up a lot of files, your OS drive will flood. For example, my NC users consume >100 GB of space.

Terry Pratchett

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!