VDR - etodi's repository, openmediavault-vdr plugin or docker?

• Hello guys,

at the moment I am considering how to install vdr at my fresh openmdiavault3 installation. Round about one year ago I installed the openmediavault-vdr plugin, but it used an outdated vdr version 2.0.3. So I decided to install vdr 2.2.0 at the command line from etobi's repository with the loss of the plugin gui.

Which version of vdr is used by the plugin today? Is it still using the default/stable debian jessie packages?

If I have a look at the version of the debian vdr packages, I still see the old vdr, but maybe the openmediavault plugin integrates another repo like etobi's repo nowadays. If this is the case, it would be an alternative for me to install the openmediavault-vdr plugin.

Code
    root@omv:~# apt-cache madison vdr
           vdr |    2.0.3-3 | http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
           vdr |    2.0.3-3 | http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main Sources

Otherwise I am fiddeling around with docker. I think it would be an ideal solution to encapsulate the vdr and its complete configuration files. But in the docker images repo we don't have an image for the vdr and I am completely new to docker.

Before I start I want to find out if it is possible to create a completely new container with the following packages from etobi's repo and git and if it is possible to give the container the needed access rights?

• vdr 2.2.0 from etobi's repo
    • vdradmin-am from etobi's repo
    • vdr-plugin-vnsiserver from git (so I also need the git packages in the docker container to compile)
    • the docker container needs access to my dvb device (digital devices cine s2)
    • the docker container needs access to a zfs filesystem to store recordings
    • the docker container needs access to a separate hdd for timeshift

Is all this possible with the openemediavault-docker plugin gui or at least with the docker command line? If so, is there any good (maybe comparable) howto which describes the creation of such a docker container?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hello @twix,

It would be great, if you share your config here.

Thanks Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• It is not perfect, but it works :)

I am using a dual dvb-s card.

I used existing config and ran:

docker run -d --name NEWVDR --device=/dev/dvb:/dev/dvb -p 8008:8008 -p 3000:3000 -p 6419:6419 -p 34890:34890 -p 37890:37890 dominicboettger/vdr

Worked for me (OMV 2).

HTH

• Hi!

I am facing the same issue here because I think it is about time to upgrade my OMV to v3 and Debian 8 VDR is still 2.0.3.

Does anyone have some expirience what might be the best solution from the following:

• directly upgrae OMV v3 to v4 and use the Debian VDR packages with the VDR plugin (if the plugin acutally works in OMV v4)
    • use eTobis VDR packages with OMV v3 without the VDR plugin in OMV
    • use a Docker container (anyone want to builde an AiO Docker package? - I am willing to donate 100€

I am really a bit stuck here and from searching the forum it looks like not so many people here use OMV + VDR.

best reagrds

• At the moment I use OMV3 and installed the packages (vdr 2.2.0) from etobis repository. Everything works as expected.

Greetings Hoppel

• At the moment I use OMV3 and installed the packages (vdr 2.2.0) from etobis repository. Everything works as expected.

Greetings Hoppel

OK.
    That's good to hear. Which VNSI version do you use (in case u use it) and how did u install it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• I use a self complied version of fernetmenta’s vnsi from github. The rest is from etobi's repo.

Code
    root@omv:~# vdr -V
    vdr (2.2.0/2.2.0) - The Video Disk Recorder
    epgsearch (1.0.1.beta5) - search the EPG for repeats and more
    vnsiserver (1.5.2) - VDR-Network-Streaming-Interface (VNSI) Server
    epgsearchonly (0.0.1) - Direct access to epgsearch's search menu
    conflictcheckonly (0.0.1) - Direct access to epgsearch's conflict check menu
    live (0.3.0) - Live Interactive VDR Environment
    quickepgsearch (0.0.1) - Quick search for broadcasts
    Code
    root@omvusr/src/vdr/vdr-plugin-vnsiserver# git log
    commit 2c42df3cf1ba37184e9106091f383ea6009490da
    Author: Rainer Hochecker <fernetmenta@online.de>
    Date:   Thu Jun 15 08:19:21 2017 +0200

This combination of packages works absolutely stable.

The omv vdr plugin isn't ported to omv4 at the moment. And I don't think that the omv vdr plugin works without adaption to omv4 (debian stretch). Debian stretch seems to bring vdr 2.2.0 by default. But there were some changes from vdr 2.0.3 (debian jessie) to vdr 2.2.0 (debian stretch), especially for the path where the recording directory has to be set.

Greetings Hoppel

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Hi Hoppel!

I decided to go straight up to OMV 4 since much hasn't changed yet and just use the debian VDR packages.

After I endlessly tried to change the recording directory I finally figured that the config files had changed. After that everything went smoothly.

thx for your help!

• Great! You can also have a look at this thread in the Kodi forum, where I described how to configure timeshift and the recording directory under vdr 2.2.0:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthre…73&pid=2631858#pid2631858

Keep us updated about the stability of your vdr system. ;)

Greetings Hoppel

• @blublub Any news here? Can you show us the ouput of the following command?

Code
    vdr-V

Thanks and greetings Hoppel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!