• It's actually fairly easy to build your own on Debian... Note this is NOT supported by OMV Devs, Backup your data, it might eat your children etc etc.

There might already by a .deb floating around but hey since it's fairly easy to build it directly from the kernel source (if not a bit time consuming) why the hell not.

Might be an idea to test it in a Virtual machine first just to make sure you are comfortable with the process

This is probably not the best way to do i by any means but it worked for me. (Also pretty sure I didn't actually need need linux-source as that would have been the source for the default kernel from the repo)

note it might just be

Code
    fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image --initrd binary

This worked on my last attempt according to my bash history, but it may have changed at somepoint because when compiling kernel 4.13 just now I had to use binary-arch to get it to do anything.

or if you are using SSH and worried about getting disconnected

Code
    screen fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image --initrd binary-arch

(You may need to apt install screen)

Now go grab a coffee, lunch, walk the dog.etc as depending on your CPU it's going to take a while... No really it could be a case of a slower system it could be a case of come back in a few hours, hence the suggestion to use screen above.

If everything went well you should find a .deb in /usr/src called linux-image_version_string.deb which can be installed with dpkg

dpkg -i linux-image-x.xx-xxx.deb

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you provide us an upgrade manual from OMV3 (with omvextras) to OMV4?

omv-release-upgrade

That't it. Works very well now in my testing. Not all plugins from OMV 3.x are ported to OMV 4.x. Please check omv-extras.org for the plugins that are ported. If a 3.x works on 4.x, let me know.

• Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is it good to upgrade to OMV v4?
    The reason I'm asking is that I posted a bug at bugtracker.openmediavault.org and @votdev wrote on the first answer that he is very busy with OMV5.

Is this a typo or does it mean that the work on OMV4 will be stopped soon and OMV5 will be released instead? Now I'm a little bit surprised and don't know if I should go the OMVv4 route or wait till OMV v5 come out.

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Thanks for the info. No, I will go the OMV4-route and hopefully the development will also be on it ;)

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• OMV4 is still in development, so you should keep that in mind if you are using it. And yes, i'm in the planning and testing phase for OMV5. You can wait for it, but i think it will take 1 or 1.5 years until release :)

Wow! If you're already working on OMV5, does that mean that you're expecting OMV4 to take less time than OMV3 did?

• If anyone is interested, I took the plunge to Arrakis 4.0.5 ("The spice must flow...") for the simple reason of getting my USB tuner to work with Plex. I'm still using the linux-hwe-edge 4.11.0-14 kernels, but it's working better than ever.

With the exception of a Docker error when upgrading (purely my own damn fault ... two NICs in one switch for no good reason is never a good idea) it worked flawlessly!

Great job!

• @votdev Which Debian will be the basis for OMV5, Debian 9 or Debian 10?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have a question in this regard,

I need to build a small office server in few weeks, so I was wondering how much time roughly will require to omv 4 to be stable? (I know it's ready when it's ready philosophy :D) I mean are we talking about month\s maybe or are we talking a year?

I'm asking this because I don't want to go omv3 route and have to start from scratch to install for om4 after some weeks or a month.
    Especially because I will not have easy physical access to the office after have deployed it.

At the same time in the past I already had some issues going from omv3 beta to omv3 in one of my box ( though probably was a plugin issue, I don't remember exactly).
    So I'm looking for the best thing to do in this moment to have as much support in a long run, going omv3 route or omv4 beta now -> omv4 stable when it will be out.

Keep in mind that the server will need just omv core and I guess rsnapshot plugin, for backup, that's it (that I saw is already into omv-extras repos for omv4).
    I guess omv4 is pretty secure right now because of the debian stretch base am I wrong?

In case you think the best way is still go with omv3, for how long will omv3 be supported? has it same life cycle of oldstable debian jessie for support (roughly another year at least from now if I'm not mistaken, am I right)?

Thank you in advance for your help\suggestion

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's ready when it's done.

• @votdev I am fine with the informations you gave us. Thanks, for the great nas software and all the work you investigate.

Einen schönen freien Tag morgen! ;) Gruß

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Still didn't understand what you suggest would be the right path ...but thanks anyway :) and thanks for this awesome distro
    Could somebody tell me at least for how long omv3 will be supported? I mean what is its EOL? I can't find any info on this, that would be very helpful thanks.

• You can’t find infos for an EOL, because there is no announced EOL at the moment. ;)

The question is when will omv4 be ready. But who can say this in it‘s early stage of development...

In my opinion it is the best to use omv3 for a productive system. When omv4 is ready it is maybe possible to upgrade from omv3 easily. At least it seems so at the moment.

Greetings Hoppel

• That's what I suspected, was worth a try, I was hoping for some more "clear" life cycle of the distro, but that's ok, I guess I have no other alternatives then to go like you said, omv3 to omv4, hoping everything will be good with the upgrade furhter in the line :)

Thank you @hoppel118

• That's what I suspected, was worth a try, I was hoping for some more "clear" life cycle of the distro

OMV 3.x is in maintenance mode now (feature freeze). It's running on Debian Jessie (so called 'oldstable' release). So everything known or at least searchable as soon as you start to fill the three characters 'EOL' with life. Since there are no new features to be expected you could define 'EOL' as the period of time the underlying Debian release is provided with updates (especially security related ones). Or are other definitions possible too?

omv3 to omv4, hoping everything will be good with the upgrade furhter in the line

If the result of such an upgrade is important to you investing some time/efforts into fail-safe upgrade strategies might be a better alternative to 'hope' :)

• it seems that publishing a simple roadmap on the web with general milestones for OMV4 & 5 would solve a lot of questions on the forum...

@Wek, i am in a similar situation than you, planning to migrate my windows server to OMV in the next week. I am decided to go already with 4.x. What I like about OMV is that the user data and the system are separated, so later on i could even remove OMV and go with just plain debian or ubuntu

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID