• as you can see freeze will get fix and sec updates and No new features...that's the point..

Yep. Let's have a look at AFP and SMB services OMV provides for example.

SMB is provided by Debian's Samba packages (so all security fixes come from upstream Debian team/repo) while AFP is OMV (so once Ralph provides a Netatalk security fix, Volker will update the openmediavault-netatalk package). I don't see the point once upstream Debian Jessie support stops and therefore many of essential packages don't receive any more updates to further provide support for OMV's 'own' packages since at least I would consider such a situation simply highly confusing. But maybe that's just me.

But that's why I would consider upstream Debian release life cycles currently somewhat related to OMV release lifecycle policy (especially since votdev obviously got tired answering the same questions over and over again -- same with 'When is OMV $n+1 ready' :) )

• Yep. Let's have a look at AFP and SMB services OMV provides for example.
    SMB is provided by Debian's Samba packages (so all security fixes come from upstream Debian team/repo) while AFP is OMV (so once Ralph provides a Netatalk security fix, Volker will update the openmediavault-netatalk package). I don't see the point once upstream Debian Jessie support stops and therefore many of essential packages don't receive any more updates to further provide support for OMV's 'own' packages since at least I would consider such a situation simply highly confusing. But maybe that's just me.

But that's why I would consider upstream Debian release life cycles currently somewhat related to OMV release lifecycle policy (especially since votdev obviously got tired answering the same questions over and over again -- same with 'When is OMV $n+1 ready' :) )

Maybe It's too much late here..:°D and I don't follow you properly...but...If I'm correctly understanding you...you are seeing the problem at the opposite direction..

I mean...I'm concerned about the opposite not debian jessie be terminated before omv3 (of which I don't see the point either to mantain omv after jessie eol), but omv3 been not supported for the whole jessie cycle

that was my point O.o

I hope I understood you and I'm not mistaken your words..I do agree omv project shouldn't give support after debian dropped support for the same base os, I couldn't see a reason in doing so..

Then again, I wasn't asking for when omv4 will be out :°D I was asking for a suggestion about other users experience on the same matter as @molnart stated, AND if there were some more precise eol info about omv3, that maybe I missed out THAT'S IT.

I hope you understood me now, why are you bring this whole thing up is beyond me...I stated in my first message "I KNOW the philosophy about it's ready when it's done" and I'm totally fine with this too O.o...again I'm not understanding your point...

I'm sorry if it seems I came up a bit rude, it's not my intention, but it seems you are putting words on my mouth that I didn't say, or to make me appear like I make pressure to votdev or anyone of the team asking about an exact date or be disrespectful of votdev and others work which I'm not, or probably I completely misunderstood you, because my brain is totally f*cked up at this time :°D so in that case I apologize, it's a bit late here.

• for the record, it does not really matter to me if i set up my NAS using OMV 3 or OMV 4. what matters to me is that i am using the latest debian distro instead of the outdated jessie repos. stretch is already outdated as well but sadly, that's what you get with debian. heck, i would even upgrade to sid. i wish omv was based on archlinux or at least ubuntu...

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• @molnart why do you need all that bleeding edge for a server?! It doesn't make much sense, I mean it's far better be with rock solid debian than arch and the bleeding edge side..but maybe you are using your server in a weird situation don't know, I would definitely pick debian oldstable\stable 10 times better than any single distro out there bleeding edge.

I think @ryecoaaron explained it better some posts before if you need some particular bleeding edge package just use docker for it and that's it

Heck I even use debian stable on my everyday desktop without any need for any more bleeding edge :) but I guess that's just preference (and software needed of course), also it's worth noting that debian backports already get a lot of "new" packages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

for the record, it does not really matter to me if i set up my NAS using OMV 3 or OMV 4. what matters to me is that i am using the latest debian distro instead of the outdated jessie repos. stretch is already outdated as well but sadly, that's what you get with debian. heck, i would even upgrade to sid. i wish omv was based on archlinux or at least ubuntu...

With OMV 4, you can get the 4.12 kernel. That is newer than Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (and I would never run a server on a non-LTS release). What packages do you need that are outdated on stretch? You can't always go by the version number since fixes are backported.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What packages do you need that are outdated on stretch?

In my case I want to have the latest i965-va-driver (vaapi-intel-driver v1.8.3) which is good for hardware transcoding) and under stretch the driver is v1.7.3 and under SID is the latest one (v1.8.3). I know that I can install all the packages from SID manually (which I already did) but than OMV shows me some packages to update (from the stretch-repo) but can't because some are newer than from the stretch-repo. If I want to install other packages it's not possible because of the interfere of the "missing" old package.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• @Huberer is never a good idea to mix match stable\unstable repos especially without proper configuration, it will lead to problems during updates like you are experiencing, most of them are mitigated by correct apt pinning configuration, may I ask you how did you add unstable repo and installed your package through omv, more over are you using apt pinning at all?

May I suggest you to read this official debian document on the matter:

Apt Preferences

I'm pretty sure will solve all your problems, and maybe install the repo\package through omv-extras repos and omv apt-tool (the last suggestion is not really necessary if you know how to properly handle the terminal, but I don't know your level of knowledge in general, so I just thought to put that as well if you needed, I guess you don't anyway)

Also because we are on the matter, I will suggest to download and read (also support if you can) this "official" debian ebook, to you if you are curious about debian administration in general and all the others that don't really know how to properly handle this awesome os:

The Debian Administrator's Handbook

Actually I think moderators should stick that book link on the homepage :D, so newcomers that install omv and don't really know what is happening under the hood and would like to or want to troubleshoot problems and get dirty hands could read\learn how to do things the proper way

• @Wek

No, no, I didn't add an unstable repo. Maybe I wrote something wrong (sorry, I'm not an English native speaker). What I did was, I've downloaded the appropriate packages from packages.debian.org (like this one from the SID-repo) and installed the package by hand (with dpkg -i xxx.deb) via CLI. But it wasn't possible because of missing or older other package (dependencies). So what I did next, was to download the missing packages from the debian.org-side and installed theses packages by hand too. It was enough to drive me up to the wall....
    Everything run fine till a package in the update folder showed up and couldn't update because of a dependence which was too new. It expected an older (original-stretch)-version.

Thanks also for the links. Will read them for sure :thumbup:

Edit: it was just a test to see if such a thing is working. It was till the problem with the "update-package" showed up. Now I'm back to the official stretch versions.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Huberer ()

• @Huberer what you want to achive is feasible, the problem is you are doing it totally the wrong way, you NEVER download package like that from another distro (doesn't matter if it's unsable testing or stable vs oldstable) what you will achive is breaking packages updates\upgrades and possibly your whole system :D.

In debian almost all packages depends on others packages, called dependencies, so basically you are installing something without dependencies and hope that works. (actually is more complex than that, but you got what I meant I think).

To achive what you want you should understand how to backport packages from testing\unstable to stable the proper way, search on google "debian backport packages the correct way" you'll find tons of information.

If I remember correctly it should be also present how to do it properly in the handbook I just linked to you.

If you want some help with it maybe open another thread and me and other users will be willing to help you out with your issue (actually I don't know if you should open a thread here or on the proper debian forum for this).

Anyway the way you are doing is basically wrong and will put you in trouble with your system :) with the right way you could achieve what you are looking for without problems and without the need of the latest\bleeding edge os :) .
    Keep in mind though that apt pinning is not really sponsored\suggested from debian and you could fall into trouble none the less, maybe I would consider the backporting way it's easier and less risky if you know what you are doing of course, the choice is yours, the only thing I would suggest you is basically never download packages and install them like you did :°D is not windows :D .

I'm glad that helped you out, have a good read pal! :)

Little EDIT:

More over before all of this...have you tried to look into stretch-backports repos? I mean you are looking for a vga driver this kind of packages are almost always backported already, so you basically don't need to do anything of what we were discussing and just install it through apt like any other package

• I tried updating OMV3 -> OMV4, but I got some issues:

- /var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and /var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock are not valid anymore. The new ones are php-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock. I had to correct this in /etc/nginx/openmediavault-webgui.d/openmediavault-mysql-management-site.conf and /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui. Without that neither the Web-GUI nor phpmyadmin was working (502 Bad Gateway...).

- Since the mysql version changed, my datadir set in /etc/mysql/conf.d/openmediavault-mysql.cnf was overwritten due to including /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/ after /etc/mysql/conf.d/

- Though all is working fine now the GUI status of mysql and nfs is red. I have no idea how I can fix this?

EDIT: After "apt-get update" I get the following:

Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7fdcb2330598>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7fdcb2330598>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

• Offizieller Beitrag

/var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and /var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock are not valid anymore. The new ones are php-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock. I had to correct this in /etc/nginx/openmediavault-webgui.d/openmediavault-mysql-management-site.conf and /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui. Without that neither the Web-GUI nor phpmyadmin was working (502 Bad Gateway...).

Fixed in OMV 4.0.6 when it is released.

Since the mysql version changed, my datadir set in /etc/mysql/conf.d/openmediavault-mysql.cnf was overwritten due to including /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/ after /etc/mysql/conf.d/

I will have to look at this. I already have another issue to look at with mysql.

Though all is working fine now the GUI status of mysql and nfs is red. I have no idea how I can fix this?

I will check that out as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Upgraded to OMV4 yesterday and encountered same issues as many others here:

- /var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and /var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock are not valid anymore. The new ones are php-fpm-openmediavault-mysql.sock and php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock. I had to correct this in /etc/nginx/openmediavault-webgui.d/openmediavault-mysql-management-site.conf and /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui. Without that neither the Web-GUI nor phpmyadmin was working (502 Bad Gateway...).

Don't have MySQL, but OMV's web GUI also gave me a "502 Bad Gateway". Solved as follows:

• nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui
    • Replace

Code
      fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php5-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock;

by

Code
      fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/php-fpm-openmediavault-webgui.sock;
    • reboot

- Though all is working fine now the GUI status of mysql and nfs is red. I have no idea how I can fix this?

Same here. NFS shares do work. I notice the following line in my syslog:
    Oct 7 10:03:56 Sirius nfsdcltrack[1033]: Failed to init database: -13
    Hope that helps.

Solved as follows:

• nano /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py
    • Replace

Code
      def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self)):

by

Code
      def remove(wr, selfref=ref(self), _atomic_removal=_remove_dead_weakref):
    • Replace

Code
      _remove_dead_weakref(d, wr.key)

by

Code
      _atomic_removal(d, wr.key)
    • reboot

Several of these RRDCacheD errors in syslog when booting:

Oct 7 10:03:56 Sirius collectd[983]: rrdcached plugin: Failed to connect to RRDCacheD at unix:/var/run/rrdcached.sock: Unable to connect to rrdcached: No such file or directory (status=2)

Tried, this:
    omv-mkconf collectd
    omv-mkconf rrdcached
    reboot

No luck. Then tried the following:
    rm -r /var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost
    rm /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/*
    service collectd restart
    service rrdcached restart
    reboot

... no joy either :(

Also noticed the plugin "openmediavault-autoshutdown 4.0" plugin no longer detects active IPs in the "IP-Range" I specified. System shuts down after the specified "inactivity timeout": means , at least, the plugin has started.
    It definitely worked as expected with OMV3 (so I know the settings should be correct to achieve what I'd want).
    Not sure this is the proper forum to post plugin-related issues, though.

NAS: Celeron G1840T | ASUS H87I-Plus | Samsung SSD 850Pro 256 GB | 5xWD40EFRX | OMV6

• I can second the rrdcached plugin error.

SImilar error messages come up continuously in parts of seconds - as long as the server shuts completely down without further notice after approx. 10 min.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• Offizieller Beitrag

nano /etc/nginx/sites-available/openmediavault-webgui

The following is easier.
    omv-mkconf nginx
    systemctl restart nginx

-or-
    omv-firstaid

Also noticed the plugin "openmediavault-autoshutdown 4.0" plugin no longer detects active IPs in the "IP-Range" I specified. System shuts down after the specified "inactivity timeout": means , at least, the plugin has started.

I just fixed a bug. I don't know if this was causing your issue though.

Several of these RRDCacheD errors in syslog when booting:

Did you try disabling and then re-enabling Monitoring in the Monitoring tab?

• I just fixed a bug. I don't know if this was causing your issue though.

Just upgraded the plugin.
    Doesn't look good:

Code
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius systemd[1]: Started autoshutdown.
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius autoshutdown.sh[9053]: /usr/sbin/autoshutdown.sh: line 1155: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius autoshutdown.sh[9053]: /usr/sbin/autoshutdown.sh: line 1155: `#011#011#011#011[[ "$FORCE_NIC" =~ ^([a-z]{3,}[0-9]{1}\.{0,1}[0-9]{0,}|[a-z]{3,}[0-9]{1}\.{0,1}[0-9]{0,})+( [a-z]{3,}[0-9]{1}\.{0,1}[0-9]{0,})*$ ]]|| {'
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Oct  7 15:27:00 Sirius systemd[1]: autoshutdown.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Did you try disabling and then re-enabling Monitoring in the Monitoring tab?

I did (I forgot to mention that before): it made no difference.

NAS: Celeron G1840T | ASUS H87I-Plus | Samsung SSD 850Pro 256 GB | 5xWD40EFRX | OMV6

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just upgraded the plugin.
    Doesn't look good:

I will look at it again. I am going to remove the non-stretch code since it is for OMV 4.x only.

• Offizieller Beitrag

4.0.2 in repo now.

• 4.0.2 in repo now.

Errors in syslog are gone.
    No shutdown after specified idle time-out while there are devices active in the configured IP range. Looking good so far.
    I'll have to check whether it does shut down when the devices in the IP range are inactive: will report later on that.

• I'll have to check whether it does shut down when the devices in the IP range are inactive: will report later on that.

Autoshutdown plugin seems to work correctly now: shuts down as expected and stays online while devices in the IP range are online.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!