New user question on updates to plugins (Plex, VirtualBox, etc...)

• Hey all,

New to OMV and liking it -- but have a couple simple questions (if someone could point to a more detailed Wiki page than the one that covers plugins, that'd be fabulous...)

Essentially my question is this:

Example: I've installed the VirtualBox plugin which comes with VBox 4.x - I'd like to run 5.0.32 (specifically) to match other systems I have running 5.0.x

I've downloaded the .deb file from Vbox downloads page -- but when I try to upload it to my OMV server, I get an error saying the file is too big.

ok -- so I can copy to a local drive and run the appropriate install commands locally....

BUT -- (and here's the question) -- Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? or am I supposed to keep things more automated?

This also applies to Plex as I want to get more friends running a Plex server and OMV seems to be a great way to get them there.

Should I be applying Plex updates the same way? (upload install - which may not work, OR copy to local drive and then commandline install?)

Thanks!

-Ben

• No on both counts
    What you should be doing is installing omv-extras plug-in
    And using that to install and setup virtual box and plex plug-ins.
    Doing so will ensure you are using appropriate vesion of both apps.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• No on both counts
    What you should be doing is installing omv-extras plug-in
    And using that to install and setup virtual box and plex plug-ins.
    Doing so will ensure you are using appropriate vesion of both apps.

Well, one system is not OMV... but yes, I've already installed the plugins as per the OMV-extras.

I was concerned that for my purpose of experimenting with Vbox Teleporting, that it would be a good thing to have both VBox systems running the same version.

My CentOS server is running 5.0.32 while OMV is running 4.x.

(Plex I'm not as worried about since there's no "teleportation" monkey business going on.)

But I think you've answered the question where there the update path IS to use the plugin mechanisms which leaves VBOX on OMV stuck at 4.x

(unless I'm re-stating that incorrectly.)

Thanks,

-Ben

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!