Omv and mac osx

• Hello everybody
    First of all thank you everybody for the lot of information I found on this nice forum with all the tutorials and explanations... I couldn't find the exact answer of what I would like to do...so I create this topic sorry if it has already been done !
    I would like to build a sever for those purposes
    - backup easily files
    -access distant to my files like owncloud
    -centralise all my data
    -access to a vpn
    -maybe bittorent
    -whynot plex in the future
    - host my database which is on FileMaker pro ( want to install filemaker server later) which runs on mac osx, possible to run on windows server but don t want to go back to windows....

What i understood....
    If i run ESXI and patch it I can have a virtual machine for mac osx and my database

My main concern and question are
    -is it better to install omv then virtualize from it mac osx ( if it is possible) to run filemaker pro or server or
    -install ESXI on the server and having 2 virtual machines on it one for omv and one for mac osx and filemaker pro? Is it recommended or not to run omv as a virtual machine? I may lost S.M.A.R.T and not be abble to have the software RAID ? I heard some people telling the RAID hardware is not good and risky...
    I am quiet new to the NAS world, I used to build PC when I was a teenager but then... nothing. First I wanted to buy a Qnap but when I realized and discovered about omv I decided to give it a try....
    If anyone could advise me and tell me what is the best option....?
    Then after that I will look for the hardware ( I take advice on that part too)
    I am photographer so I don t want to loose data, now I have 3 hdd ( 1 is a raid 1) i basically clone with super duper each time i make a change, so it would make my life easier...
    Thank you very much and I wish you a good day
    :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!