SMB Shares copy over network workaround suggestions

• Hi there guys,

I'm looking for some suggestions to improve my shares speed.
    I have many SMB shares and each of them point to a different drive.

What happens is when I copy files from Share A (pointing to drive A) to Share B (pointing to drive B) Windows is stupid and doesn't realize they are in the same machine causing the data to go over the network.
    Due to that, although my NAS has 4 Gbit connection (4 ports in 802.3ad) I'm limited to the client computer with a maxed out Gbit connection and in turn limit my copy speed between shares to around 50MB/s.

Is there a way to configure SMB so the file operations happen on the NAS when Im copying stuff between disks instead of over the network?

Thanks,
    Ralms

• Offizieller Beitrag

Samba will do a local copy if you copy to the same physical disk/array. Otherwise, it will happen over the network. Nothing I know of can change this. That is why I use the ssh or WinSCP.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Samba will do a local copy if you copy to the same physical disk/array. Otherwise, it will happen over the network. Nothing I know of can change this. That is why I use the ssh or WinSCP.

I dont feel comfortable yet doing that on SSH :S
    And I was looking for some solution due to convenience.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't used an actual Windows fileserver in a long time but I don't even think Windows can copy local across disks.

Did you try WinSCP? It is just like Windows Explorer.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I haven't used an actual Windows fileserver in a long time but I don't even think Windows can copy local across disks.

Are your clients Windows? If yes, what are you using than?

Did you try WinSCP? It is just like Windows Explorer.

That is a good point, didnt think of that. Since on my previous setups I never configure FTP, I didnt though of it but OMV has it by default.
    Will give it a try for now.

Thanks-

• I dont feel comfortable yet doing that on SSH :S And I was looking for some solution due to convenience.

If below image looks familiar to you then you can use Midnight Commander to copy files locally, over ssh. And the speed will be the speed of your disks.

• If below image looks familiar to you then you can use Midnight Commander to copy files locally, over ssh. And the speed will be the speed of your disks.

Hi there,

Its the first time seeing that image, does it support folder merging?

I tried WinSCP last night and it works although I have 0 feedback on the transfer and doesnt seem to support folder merging because it tries to create a folder that already exists (kinda stupid).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are your clients Windows? If yes, what are you using than?

My laptops are Windows 10. Everything is Linux.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!