CPU suggestions

• Hi there guys,

Due to a lot of headaches in the past with my home server handling a lot of stuff in a single machine, Ive been trying to separate everything.
    One of the main reasons being that normally if something went wrong, even with an app, could cause the system not to boot or whatever making my storage unavailable.
    On top of that is power savings, If I separate everything, I can have a server dedicated for applications that turns off during the night, saving power.

So Im looking to have a machine dedicated to just storage and my requirements are the following:

As low power as possible, I mean around 20w iddle + disks.
    Have at least dual Gb lan, although I can always put a Network card on it, but wanted to avoid it to save power.
    At least 8 Sata ports, although I can always put a raid card on it, but wanted to avoid it to save power lol.
    ECC Ram (than I use either a normal i3 CPU or a Xeon)
    If possible, small form factor.
    Cheap, I just need MB, CPU and RAM, and Im looking into spending absolute max 400€

Here is what I was considering buying:
    AsRock C236 WSI (ECC support DDR4, 1*PCIe 3.0 x16, 2*Intel Gbit Lan, Mini ITX)
    Intel i3-6300T ( 2 cores, 4 threads. 3.3Ghz, 35W TDP, ECC support) Some people in this Intel Forum are claming between 10 to 15watts on iddle for CPUs like 6700T or 6100T, that is amazing.
    1x4GB DDR4, most likely 2133Mhz ECC

Im just worried if that CPU is not strong enough.

Do you guys have any better sugestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unless you are doing virtualization or transcoding, you don't even need an i3. My backup server is a Celeron J1800 (QNAP TS-451 running OMV 3.x) and it can saturate gigabit.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Unless you are doing virtualization or transcoding, you don't even need an i3. My backup server is a Celeron J1800 (QNAP TS-451 running OMV 3.x) and it can saturate gigabit.

When you saturate a Gigabit line, is from a Raid 5 array?

I want it to be able to saturate 2 to 3 Gbits, handle Raid 5 with 5 disks and some checksumming on a Raid 1 :S

From what Ive seem compared with what I have now, this i3 should be more than enough, although if I could find something cheaper, would be great.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you saturate a Gigabit line, is from a Raid 5 array?

No. It has four 4TB WD Red Pros in it and uses unionfilesystem plugin to pool the drives. So, one drive is saturating gigabit.

Look at the Pentium G4560 ($65). Dual core but hyper threaded. Supports ECC. So, it should be able to do what you want. I don't think you the motherboard you picked supports it though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No. It has four 4TB WD Red Pros in it and uses unionfilesystem plugin to pool the drives. So, one drive is saturating gigabit.
    Look at the Pentium G4560 ($65). Dual core but hyper threaded. Supports ECC. So, it should be able to do what you want. I don't think you the motherboard you picked supports it though.

I dont see why wouldnt support it and it seem a really good CPU.
    It has as much performance as the i3 at a much lower price.

On top of that the T processors are pretty much impossible to get since Intel in their special way, only sells them in trays.

That might be the one.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!