Is there a known-working server GUI?

• Ive done a lot of searching, and a lot of people have gone away "To try installing Gnome" or LXDE or any of the other desktops.
    I only want to be able to StartX for one reason, and that's because I dont know my folder layout on some old drives off the top of my head.

I have about 30HDD's to go through, and things like ctrl+click to select folders and cut and paste onto my array would be priceless.

Has anyone confirmed a GUI shell that DOESN'T break OMV when you use it?

I've read about all the risks, now I'm hoping someone had a solution and just didnt report back; I must have been through 300 pages and 50 threads on the topic by now, with no solid answer.

Thanks all!

• Does this not work?

OPENMEDIAVAULT-REMOTEDESKTOP
    LATEST VERSION: 3.6
    REPO: ERASMUS

MAINTAINER: OPENMEDIAVAULT-PLUGIN-DEVELOPERS
    DESCRIPTION:

Remote desktop plugin for OpenMediaVault. Installs xfce4 minimal desktop environment and rdp server.

• Does this not work?

Remote desktop plugin for OpenMediaVault. Installs xfce4 minimal desktop environment and rdp server.

I've never tried that one..... xfce is a desktop I like too....
    I got scared off by all the "it'll break mounts" and what not warnings, I hadn't looked at the offered plugins, I was relying on people custom installing.

Do you use this plugin? Does it work for you?
    Anyone?

• Why not browse your driver folder structure using an already installed file browser/manager?
    ssh into your machine and type "mc". This is midnight commander that is already installed on omv. You will find all your connected hard drive in the /media folder listed with there UUID.
    Hope it was helpful for you, no need to install an desktop environment only for browsing folder structure. :)
    In an terminal session you still have the possibility to copy a path and paste it where you want.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you use this plugin? Does it work for you?
    Anyone?

I use it and it works. Otherwise, I wouldn't have released the plugin :) It doesn't install a full desktop and the gui doesn't run all the time. Therefore, it seems to avoid the full desktop problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!