Unable to install iscsi plugin

• I am trying to install iscsi plugin and it keep giving me this error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

iscsi doesn't work with the latest backports kernel. You will have to disable the backports repo:

Add OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS="NO" to /etc/default/openmediavault
    Then install the 3.16 kernel and headers. Reboot and remove the 4.x kernel.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Then install the 3.16 kernel and headers. Reboot and remove the 4.x kernel.

Hello!

I had bought an Odroid XU4 to build an ISCSI NAS. That it does not work with the Kernel 4.X, ok. Now I've put Armbian with Kernel 3.10 and OMV 3.0.95 (Erasmus) into operation,

Code
    root@odroidxu4:~# uname -r
    3.10.106-odroidxu4

unfortunately, the ISCSI Target PlugIn still can not be installed.

For the system suitable Linux headers are on it.

Code
    root@odroidxu4:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-headers
    ii  linux-headers-odroidxu4   5.35    armhf   Linux kernel headers for 3.10.106-odroidxu4 on armhf

Is there a chance to integrate ISCSI-target for Odroid XU4?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had bought an Odroid XU4 to build an ISCSI NAS

Hopefully just for testing...

For the system suitable Linux headers are on it.

Is there a chance to integrate ISCSI-target for Odroid XU4?

The name of the headers used by the xu4 is not in the dependency list. You will have to file a request on bugtracker to have them added. Just to warn you that there is not iscsi-target plugin in OMV 4.x since the iscsi-target package does not exist in Debian Stretch.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The name of the headers used by the xu4 is not in the dependency list. You will have to file a request on bugtracker to have them added

Maybe a better idea is to limit the openmediavault-iscsitarget plugin to x86/amd64 platform instead so users do not even try to use it on ARM?

I don't believe anyone over at Armbian cares about networking config details with smelly legacy kernel (3.10) and current next kernel will soon be switched from 4.9 to 4.14 which might break such stuff that only exists on a single installation on this planet (if it works with 4.9)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe a better idea is to limit the openmediavault-iscsitarget plugin to x86/amd64 platform instead so users do not even try to use it on ARM?

I have no problem with that and pretty much the reason I made the testing comment. But it isn't my decision since it is a core OMV plugin.

• Hopefully just for testing...

Hi ryecoaaron,

Thanks for the feedback. I planned to use it for backup purposes. What concerns are there with the OdroidXU4?Hardware not stable?Operating system not reliable?ISCSI not performing?

Happy New Year!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What concerns are there with the OdroidXU4?Hardware not stable?Operating system not reliable?ISCSI not performing?

It uses usb storage. Most people who are using iSCSI are using it for important things. I would not use an arm board for important things. iSCSI on an XU4 is also a pain since it will not compile on the supported 4.9 kernel. The iscsi-target plugin won't be able available for OMV 4.x at all. The plugin needs to be replaced with a newer implementation of iSCSI.

Why would you need iSCSI for backup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is that planned soon?

That is a core OMV plugin and Volker mentioned re-writing it for OMV 5. So, I would say no.

• Any good docker version alternative that can be used instead? What about something like this guy has done, is it sufficient?

https://github.com/meghait/docker-iscsi

EDIT: Actually, wouldn't this suffice in OMV 4.x until a plugin is ready?
    https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Debian_9&p=iscsi

I'm happy to stay on Stoneburner as mentioned before, but now that my other OMVs are on 4.x and working well, I would consider upgrading if LIO would be as simple as shown in the last link above.

• is there anyway to use iscsi plugin now in version 3.0.98? it uses kernel 4.9 and after downgrading to 3.16.0-7 version i get an error

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there anyway to use iscsi plugin now in version 3.0.98? it uses kernel 4.9 and after downgrading to 3.16.0-7 version i get an error

You have to disable backports. There is setting in /etc/default/openmediavault for that. Search the forum for it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!