Can't get virtualbox plugin to work

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's one of the threads I linked.

So if I understood correctly - virtualbox plugin doesn't work on 4.9 kernel. Is the only way to get this to work to downgrade to 4.8?
    Will this plugin ever work for 4.9, or is it 'abandoned' and we are on our own?

Thanks again

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will this plugin ever work for 4.9, or is it 'abandoned' and we are on our own?

This isn't a plugin problem. It can't fix this. I did add the packages to the omv-extras repo and upgraded omv-extras to pin them higher. The 5.1.14 packages do work with the 4.9 kernel. You need to purge everything including the vbox user and try again.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's one of the threads I linked.

I didn't see your link. Dim screen.

• Could you be so kind to show me how? I'm still relatively noob when it comes to fixing packages.

I did the following:

But I still see openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.6 showing under Plugins. I would have expected to see a newer version

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't update the plugin because it doesn't need it. Do the following:

apt-get purge openmediavault-virtualbox
    omv-update
    apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox

• The first time around I did this I saw that the Plugins finally showed a newer version of virtualbox was installed, but the VirtualBox service did not appear.
    Looking at the console I saw this afer a apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox (see attached image).

Unfortunately I decided to uninstall everything over again to try to reinstall... this time around I got same error but with 3.0.6 version showing up in Plugins.

Should I be manually installing the other packages as well as implied?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't have to manually install other packages. Not sure what went wrong this time. Try: apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms

• Plugins reports openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.6 every time now which i'm not sure if I should be concerned. But important is that VirtualBox is now working! :)

Thank you so much for your support! I will mark this thread as resolved.

In phpVirtualBox i get this message which i presume one can safely ignore:
    This version of phpVirtualBox (5.0-5) is incompatible with VirtualBox 5.1.14_Debian. You probably need to download the latest phpVirtualBox 5.1-x.

For future reference. Do I need to be worried with how I use OMV's updates? Do I need to be careful of not do any specific updates going forward, or anything I should be cautious of?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plugins reports openmediavault-virtualbox 3.0.6 every time now which i'm not sure if I should be concerned.

That is the most recent version of the plugin.

In phpVirtualBox i get this message which i presume one can safely ignore:

Yes, you can ignore. There is no phpvirtualbox 5.1-x release.

Do I need to be worried with how I use OMV's updates?

Newer kernel versions (not updates) can cause problems with programs that compile their modules (zfs, virtualbox, iscsi, etc). I normally install all updates though. I don't think the kernel version will be changed though. If you are worried about an update, make a backup (clonezilla is good) before doing the update.

• Newer kernel versions (not updates) can cause problems with programs that compile their modules (zfs, virtualbox, iscsi, etc). I normally install all updates though. I don't think the kernel version will be changed though. If you are worried about an update, make a backup (clonezilla is good) before doing the update.

When does the kernel get updated through the GUI, if not through the updates? Might be worth turning kernel updates off somehow

I used to clone the entire drive to another physical drive using dd from a livedisc, but that's very time consuming. I will explore clonezilla since I'm sure that will be more convenient.

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

When does the kernel get updated through the GUI, if not through the updates? Might be worth turning kernel updates off somehow

You want kernel updates (same major and minor version ie 4.9) but should be more cautious of upgrades (4.10 would be an upgrade). That said, I don't think Jessie Backports is going to get an kernel upgrade since it uses the standard Debian Stretch kernel which is now frozen (should stay 4.9).

• hello I have followed the above and now I receive this error thanks

Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start virtualbox-web 2>&1' with exit code '1': A dependency job for virtualbox-web.service failed. See 'journalctl -xn' for details.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(83): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(101): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/virtualbox.inc(107): OMV\System\SystemCtl->enable(true)
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMV\Engined\Module\VirtualBox->startService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(150): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(528): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatus38...', '/tmp/bgoutputGY...')
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(151): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(208): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #14 {main}

• I'm not sure how to help. but here are the commands I went though before I got it to work.

151 apt-get purge openmediavault-virtualbox
    152 apt-get purge virtualbox
    153 apt-get purge virtualbox-source
    154 rm -rf /etc/default/openmediavault-virtualbox
    155 rm -rf /etc/default/virtualbox
    156 userdel vbox
    157 rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
    158 apt-get install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms
    159 apt-get purge openmediavault-virtualbox
    160 omv-update
    161 apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
    162 history

Also note that it works perfectly when starting with a fresh OMV install

• Hello,

just did a fresh install of OMV 3 with the lastest release and virtualbox is not starting.

I just posted here:
    Virtualbox 5.1.8 and kernel 4.9 error

(please check, there is screenshots)

I also followed the procedure you just put above but not ok....

What can I do?

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
    Module: virtualbox
    Version: 5.1.26
    Kernel: 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 (x86_64)
    -------------------------------------

DKMS: install completed.
    Setting up virtualbox (5.1.26-dfsg-2) ...
    Setting up phpvirtualbox (5.0-5-2) ...
    Setting up virtualbox-ext-pack-installer (5.1.26) ...

0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%
    Successfully installed "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".
    Setting up openmediavault-virtualbox (3.0.8) ...
    useradd: warning: the home directory already exists.
    Not copying any file from skel directory into it.
    Updating configuration database ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (3.0.94) ...
    Updating locale files ...
    Updating file permissions ...
    Purging internal cache ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    root@omv:/tmp#

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!