Fresh install failing with updates

• Has something changed with the repo or files since "yesterday"?

Fresh install this morning of OMV 3 on a spare PC (on which I have installed Debian 8 then OMV3 several times this weekend, all worked fine until today) is throwing this error when trying to install an update to it on the Update Management page. Here is error:

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install linux-image-amd64 2>&1': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-image-amd64 : Depends: linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

Repeated attempts to update this have failed. Tried SSH and "apt-get install linux-image-amd64" but that was similar result:

The following packages have been kept back:
    linux-image-amd64
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a new package update for the 4.9 kernel. The first package was pulled. Try:
    omv-aptclean
    apt-get install linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Well.... in ssh after a fresh install of omv, trying to run omv-aptclean throws this error:

root@debian-pc:~# omv-aptclean
    -bash: omv-aptclean: command not found
    root@debian-pc:~#

(and I did run omv-firstaid to be sure that loaded; it did)

The second command ran without any obvious errors. I saved the output if it's needed.

I then rebooted for good measure.

But back in omv interface, the update is still showing, and trying to install it produces the same error:

>>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" install linux-image-amd64 2>&1': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-image-amd64 : Depends: linux-image-4.9.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

Puzzled.....

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-aptclean: command not found

omv-extras has to be installed for this to work. There also seems to be an issue with some of the Debian repos. Give it a little more time to hopefully fix itself.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to suspect; that this is a Debian issue not an OMV issue.

I've just left that update where it is for now. It doesn't seem to be actually "needed" by anything so will just wait.

• Hello, I am setting up OMV after a fresh install, and noticing some problems (like the webinterface not having anything in it besides user accounts).

I am trying omv-firstaid and finding out that it is not installed. Do I need to install it from the commandline? Should I just start a new forum thread?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, I am setting up OMV after a fresh install, and noticing some problems (like the webinterface not having anything in it besides user accounts).

You need to sign in with the admin user. Default password is: openmediavault

• UPDATE: A second package just showed up on the Management page, one related to the other which wouldn't install. I updated both and it worked fine this time, now that page is empty. Looks like you were right, and Debian got their repos sorted out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just tested and agree :)

• You need to sign in with the admin user. Default password is: openmediavault

Hi Ryecoaaron,
    I tried this, but I get incorrect user/password. If I sign in with the sudo username/password I created when I installed OMV, I can login to an extremely limited webinterface.

Does OMV need to be created with a root account? I didn't create one (providing the installer with an empty root password, going the sudo route)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried this, but I get incorrect user/password.

Login as root and change it with omv-firstaid or passwd admin

If I sign in with the sudo username/password I created when I installed OMV, I can login to an extremely limited webinterface.

All users except for admin will get the limited web interface.

Does OMV need to be created with a root account?

Linux needs a root account.

I didn't create one (providing the installer with an empty root password, going the sudo route)

How did you install Linux/OMV without creating a root account? sudo is an Ubuntu idea. Debian uses root. Why are you not using the OMV ISO?

• How did you install Linux/OMV without creating a root account? sudo is an Ubuntu idea. Debian uses root. Why are you not using the OMV ISO?

Er... just for the record, sudo is way older than Ubuntu and I use it in Debian (and OMV) all the time. It's in fact recommended practice across all Linux distros to NOT use root and instead use sudo.

The difference being, Ubuntu doesn't even have a root password setup by default. The account's there but they go out of their way to avoid using it.

That said, yeah, it sounds like something strange is in use here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Er... just for the record, sudo is way older than Ubuntu and I use it in Debian (and OMV) all the time. It's in fact recommended practice across all Linux distros to NOT use root and instead use sudo.

I know... I used VMS in the early 90s and have been using AIX, HP-UX, Solaris for 2 years and Linux for 19 years. Debian always has you set the root password. I didn't say don't use sudo (obviously OMV installs it and uses it). I was just generalizing for people used to Ubuntu and not having a root password set. A default OMV install has no user to use sudo until you create one.

My real point was that the more people do that is not "normal" to OMV, the more problems we have figuring out what is going wrong.

• I used the OMV ISO.

The Debian Installer lets you set up a root password, but doesn't force you to. You can leave the password blank, in which case it disables root login and instead lets you administer the system with your sudo account. This is documented on their wiki.

That said,
    Has anyone else installed OMV this way?

If you are not supposed to do OMV this way, I'll go ahead and re-install, and add that instruction to my list of wiki edits to make.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Debian Installer lets you set up a root password, but doesn't force you to. You can leave the password blank, in which case it disables root login and instead lets you administer the system with your sudo account. This is documented on their wiki.

That said,

If you are not supposed to do OMV this way, I'll go ahead and re-install, and add that instruction to my list of wiki edits to make.

I know you can but if you leave the root password blank, then you have no way to login to the machine if the web interface isn't working (admin cannot login locally because the shell is set to /usr/sbin/nologin). Yes, I know you could boot a bootable Linux distro and chroot in.

If you are installing using the OMV ISO, the OMV wiki should say set a root password. Once you create a user with sudo privileges, you can disable root's password but I think it is a bad idea to do it from the start. I honestly don't see the problem with setting a root password on a NAS. If you disable root login via ssh, how is anyone going to use the root password? If they have local access, your root password being set or not set makes no difference. On the thousands of VM and physical boxes we have at work, the root password is set on every one of them.

If you installing Debian, follow their wiki. You have the option to create a user with sudo privileges using the Debian ISOs.

No but I am sure it is fine.

If you are not supposed to do OMV this way, I'll go ahead and re-install

You don't have to re-install. If for some strange reason it acts up, just re-enable the root password.

• Thanks ryecoaaron,

I ended up re-installing anyway since I hadn't set anything else up yet. Everything works as it should now, so far.

(Except for the original problem in this thread -- updates from the webgui still failed because of two firmware packages, but I'm not worried about that in the short term).

• [...] if you leave the root password blank, then you have no way to login to the machine if the web interface isn't working (admin cannot login locally because the shell is set to /usr/sbin/nologin

What does this mean exactly? On the fresh install, you can login to the machine locally with root/password after it boots up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!