Not even sure where to start - some services failing to run on 3.0.64

• Put together an offsite backup NAS and got it mostly working, then took the machine to my parents' house 4 hours away and put it in place. It's a Core i3-530 with 8GB ECC RAM and 3x1TB drives in ZFS RAIDZ1. I was able to do a zfs send/receive to get a baseline on the server for the data, with the intent to be using syncthing via a custom tinc VPN install to sync data between this and my main NAS at my house. Note, I've been doing this for some time, but the reason for the change was to upgrade to 3.x so the ZFS plugin functions with snapshots, and to get some better hardware in there - the old one was an Atom D525 with 4GB RAM.

Now, the Tinc VPN setup is working. I can SSH into the server just fine, web UI is working great, Dashboard page shows all services that have been activated as green (in this case, Syncthing, Samba, TFTP, and SSH). The only one that works is SSH. Samba, Syncthing, and TFTP (mostly activated to just see if it worked) all show, after "systemctl restart xxxxx" that everything started, but it's "Active (Exited)" in status:

Note, "systemctl start syncthing" did not do anything - it was showing "Active (Exited)" then timestamped 27 hours previous even after the "start". Issuing "restart" re-runs it, but the web interface isn't accessible. Same with SMB, start does nothing, restart reloads it, there's no errors I can find anywhere, but the system is completely unreachable via SMB/CIFS.

Even better, if I just run syncthing from a bash prompt, not only does it run, but the web interface is accessible. I've not attempted something similar with SMB, because I can't quite see how that would work out, and I'm now 4 hours away over mildly slow internet connection.

I even tried rebooting. Really can't figure out what the heck is going on here, so if anyone's got any ideas, I'm willing to try them. I've attached the Report file from the System Information tab in case that provides something useful.

Thanks!

• Oh, forgot to add, I had installed openmediavault-remotedesktop - more for when I'm at my parents' place so I can access web UIs at home over the VPN - and was unable to connect via RDP to it either. I'm assuming something similar has caused that to not work as well; xrdp is also showing active (exited).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any errors in syslog or syncthing in the log viewer?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not that I can see. A search for error in the syslog pulls up nothing worth mentioning (SMART completed without error, etc.), and searching syncthing comes up with this, and nothing else:

Code
    Mar  6 20:19:20 mjolnir systemd[1]: Started LSB: syncthing.
    Mar  6 20:19:32 mjolnir systemd[1]: Stopping LSB: syncthing...
    Mar  6 20:19:32 mjolnir systemd[1]: Starting LSB: syncthing...
    Mar  6 20:19:32 mjolnir syncthing[16682]: Starting Syncthing for user root
    Mar  6 20:19:32 mjolnir systemd[1]: Started LSB: syncthing.
    M

The Syncthing logs are empty, which since it doesn't actually run at all, isn't overly surprising.

• Looking in daemon.log, I do see this a couple of times from yesterday:

Code
    Mar  5 16:44:43 mjolnir systemd[1]: Stopping LSB: syncthing...
    Mar  5 16:44:43 mjolnir systemd[1]: Failed to reset devices.list on /system.slice: Invalid argument
    Mar  5 16:44:43 mjolnir systemd[1]: Starting LSB: syncthing...
    Mar  5 16:44:43 mjolnir syncthing[4241]: Starting Syncthing for user thing
    Mar  5 16:44:43 mjolnir systemd[1]: Started LSB: syncthing.
    M

I was assuming that that's because it's stopping services that aren't actually running, and that's what was causing the error, but I'm including it for completeness' sake.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just installed the virtualbox, syncthing, remotedesktop, and zfs plugins and enabled samba and tftp as well. Everything is working. Very strange. Is this on an ssd?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I just installed the virtualbox, syncthing, remotedesktop, and zfs plugins and enabled samba and tftp as well. Everything is working. Very strange. Is this on an ssd?

No it isn't, it's on a 2.5" 60GB 5400RPM drive. I did check the SMART data and there's no reallocs, no pendings, nothing that would indicate any real issues whatsoever. There IS an error listed, but I had it in a 2.5" portable eSATA enclosure at one point that was seriously flaked out and I know that's when the error happened. It's an older drive sir, but it checks out. :)

I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the Syncthing plugin, but I haven't tried uninstalling anything else or adding any additional ones. I just can't figure out why the heck existing services seem to work (SSH) but these three won't and why they aren't apparently throwing errors when whatever it is happening actually happens.

• Something else screwy going on. I went into my main NAS to check for updates, saw there was updates for something related to Mono, the latest omv-extras package (3.4.22), and the latest Syncthing (0.14.24). Ran the updates, all good.

Went in to the problem box and checked for updates because I hadn't had any since I installed it, which was bothering me for some reason, and I wanted to make sure it was working right. Only thing waiting was Syncthing. Mono isn't enabled, but still should have 3.4.22 of omv-extras. Did a Check, no change.

SSH into the box, do an apt-get update, goes through everything, get to the end and see:

Code
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: Conflicting distribution: https://downloads.plex.tv public InRelease (expected public but got )
    W: GPG error: https://dl.bintray.com jessie Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7B9C5D187860A018
    W: GPG error: https://dl.bintray.com jessie Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7B9C5D187860A018

Alright, something weird there too, not sure how to deal with that or if it's even related. Then I do an apt-get upgrade, and I see a WHOLE bunch of stuff that isn't coming up:

Doing a dist-upgrade now to get all the kept-back packages; will see where things stand afterwards. I'll probably need to do a reboot, which I'm leery of with the box 4 hours away and two elderly parents as the only remote hands available on a headless box, but we'll see.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the reboot doesn't help, I might suspect a bad dimm? I can't think of any other reason all of these services wouldn't start especially since they aren't really related. Syncthing might have a problem if storage (zfs) isn't ready but samba shouldn't care.

The bintray key is the old omv-extras signing key. There is still packages in the repos signed with that key. I will have to add it back to omv-extras. Until then, it is just a warning.

As for the upgrades, I don't see any real dangerous upgrades in the list.

• Syncthing isn't even configured - the only time I got it to run was running it on the command line.

Update went all Hulk on my VPN connection (TINC SMASH!) and I had to back door into it via port forwarding on my parents' router (thank goodness for "Linksys Smart Wifi"). Reboot restored that, and SSH never stopped working or I'd really be hosed, but the reboot did not start up SMB, Syncthing, TFTP, or XRDP.

Just to try it, I'm going through and removing plugins I don't really need. In this case, it's Sensors (which didn't work anyhow; errors every time I try and apply configs - sensors command in shell works just fine though), Remote-mount, remotedesktop, and locate.

Nope, still won't run. I was kind of hoping this would get somewhere since the update included a change from Systemd 215 to 230, but doesn't look like it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think we should figure the samba issue out and maybe the other services will have a similar fix. What is the output of:

systemctl status smbd.service
    systemctl status nmbd.service

• Works for me. As a note - and I have no idea why this is - I was able to do "systemctl enable syncthing@user.service" and "systemctl start syncthing@user.service" and syncthing is functioning now. I did NOT need to do that on my main NAS, and trying to do systemctl status syncthing@user.service" comes back with the result that it's dead, despite that being the user it's running as, so clearly something weird going on here.

On to SMB, here's the output for smbd.service:

And here's nmbd.service:

Note in both cases the "active (exited)" is in green text.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: ls -al /var/log/

• Here you go:

On the assumption you'd want it as well, there's nothing in /var/log/samba:

Code
    wolfstar@mjolnir:/var/log/samba$ ls -al
    total 8
    drwxr-x---  2 root adm  4096 Dec 17 16:20 .
    drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Mar  6 07:35 ..
    wolfstar@mjolnir:/var/log/samba$

Confirmed, JUST in case, that it's also empty for root (sudo).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Longer posts sometimes trigger the spam filter. I approved it.

Didn't find anything odd in your output. How about dpkg -l | grep samba

• Longer posts sometimes trigger the spam filter. I approved it.

Didn't find anything odd in your output. How about dpkg -l | grep samba

Here we go; heading home now (had a night maintenance) so won't be able to reply until much later, if at all tonight.

Code
    wolfstar@mjolnir:~$ dpkg -l | grep samba
    ii  python-samba                       2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Python bindings for Samba
    ii  samba                              2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
    ii  samba-common                       2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     all          common files used by both the Samba server and client
    ii  samba-common-bin                   2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba common files used by both the server and the client
    ii  samba-dsdb-modules                 2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba Directory Services Database
    ii  samba-libs:amd64                   2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba core libraries
    ii  samba-vfs-modules                  2:4.2.14+dfsg-0+deb8u2     amd64        Samba Virtual FileSystem plugins
    wolfstar@mjolnir:~$

Thanks Ryecoaaron!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, that didn't show me any problems. I guess I am back to maybe bad ram?

• Unfortunately, that didn't show me any problems. I guess I am back to maybe bad ram?

Two 4GB ECC UDIMMs in the box. I guess it COULD be, but it was running in my main NAS without issues. Unfortunately, running memtest86 on it is non-trivial. On the other hand, Samba is a nice-to-have in this situation, so as long as I can get syncthing running. I'll track it down eventually.

Thanks for the help!

• So, poking around some more, not really trying to "solve" the issue, but just because I can't leave it alone, I tried to figure out why manually doing systemctl start syncthing@root.service worked where systemctl start syncthing.service didn't, I discovered that the former is Syncthing's native systemd setup, whereas the latter is a sysvinit wrapper that systemd uses.

So, looking into it, tftpd-hpa, smbd, and probably xrdp are all using sysvinit scripts and systemd-sysv-install as a wrapper to let systemd control it.

I have no idea WHY sysvinit scripts aren't properly running, but that's what looks like is going on. Any thoughts?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!