Not even sure where to start - some services failing to run on 3.0.64

• Hello,
    I had the same problem until yesterday, on a clean install of openmediavault with the latest ISO from December 2016. Services like samba wouldn't start when using systemd or the init.d script. The binary itself could be run without any problems.
    I noticed that there are two start-stop-daemons: /sbin/start-stop-daemon and /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL
    I fixed the problem by moving /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL to /sbin/start-stop-daemon. Now everything works fine.

Oh wow. That's... really funky. Time to go check.

I don't have two start-stop-daemon files on any of my systems. No idea what creates it but it would interesting to know.

It was definitely the same image I used, I think 3.0.58 or something like that - I'd have to dig it out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was definitely the same image I used, I think 3.0.58 or something like that - I'd have to dig it out.

I've installed with that ISO. It is the most current on sourceforge. Still never had that issue. It must be a package or update causing it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yep, same thing on mine. Interestingly, /sbin/start-stop-daemon is a zero-byte file.

Code
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root         0 Mar  2 00:15 start-stop-daemon
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root     32392 May  2  2016 start-stop-daemon.REAL

Deleted the zero-byte file, moved the .REAL to /sbin/start-stop-daemon, and Samba's working now just fine. @hensur, I have no idea how you found that, but thank you so much for doing it. It's been bugging the hell out of me for days. :D

Just to play it safe, I created a symlink pointing to /sbin/start-stop-daemon from /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL though.

• I've installed with that ISO. It is the most current on sourceforge. Still never had that issue. It must be a package or update causing it.

Google to the rescue. This is from WAAAAAY back in 2001, but basically, debootstrap crashing during install causes it.

I don't remember a crash during install, but it appears there was one. File that one away, but it definitely isn't the ISO. Or rather, not a problem with the ISO.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good to know. I've install Debian hundreds if not thousands of times and never seen this. Wonder what causes the debootstrap to fail.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!