AFP on OMV3 crashing all system

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron adds simply the path to flashmemory-plugin by default (as I do it currently with the OMV ARM images since random IO performance is magnitudes faster when CNID databases are handled by folder2ram)

I don't have a problem adding that line to the flashmemory plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't have a problem adding that line to the flashmemory plugin.

That's great! Will the plugin also create the directory on its own (thinking about situations where Netatalk isn't already installed)? I'm fine with doing an 'mkdir -p /var/lib/netatalk/CNID/' prior to installation of flashmemory-plugin. Just asking.

• As Apple is not advocating AFP any more (appleinsider.com/articles/13/0…mb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks) I can surely live with SMB(2) only.

Apple declared AFP deprecated a long time ago but at the same time they introduced proprietary SMB extensions only a few SMB servers currently implement (Debian's stock/outdated Samba versions not amongst). Especially handling of many small files and directory enumeration is still a lot faster with AFP and that's the reason I'm happy OMV ships with a Netatalk 3.x plugin and use only AFP for my Mac shares.

We still evaluate switching to Samba 4.6 with the appropriate tweaks at some customers but since we're running in various problems (asking for 'worst case scenarios' with 6 users working on the same set of files trying to trigger locking issues and related stuff) they're still running Netatalk or Helios EtherShare.

The only thing right now I would need Appletalk ist TimeMachine.

AppleTalk is something different than AFP and TM never worked with the old AFP versions that were AppleTalk only ;)

TimeMachine works in the meantime with SMB if the server supports it (not the Samba OMV uses) but I still rely on AFP here too (combined with a bunch of scripts interacting between backup hosts and Macs to avoid data corruption issues due to accidentally disconnecting backup shares)

• Offizieller Beitrag

/var/lib/netatalk/CNID/

You don't need to create it. It fails gracefully. It is failing on /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd if monitoring is disable as well. Maybe I should create both directories to quiet the noise though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @tkaiser

I have to admit, that this OMV install is for home use and testing. Before that I had an Ubuntu 16.04.2 with netatalk and samba together which worked out fine. Never had locking issues or something - but this was only accessed by two simultaneous users.

I currently have 2 options:
    - AFP for all shares with SMB-read-only for the non-mac clients
    - Full SMB with AFP only for Timemachine

Another option is to roll my own Ubuntu VM again... but OMV looks very good and it's a breeze for settings, shares, privileges and so on.

Currently I'm thinking of option 2 with OMV. Do you have any suggestions on which way to go?

• Currently I'm thinking of option 2 with OMV.

Since I would never access the same share with SMB and AFP in parallel (for reasons no one wants to know or at least not wanting to take the time to get familiar with) this is the only option.

BTW: Netatalk and Samba on an Ubuntu Xenial don't play well together too unless you compile both packages from sources and adjust settings :)

I'm no active Netatalk developer any more since ages and so my memory might not serve right, but IIRC Ralph (the last remaining Netatalk dev and now working on macOS integration in Samba at SerNet) told me the only really working interaction between Netatalk and SMB is/was possible on Solaris with ZFS (due to size of extended attributes not limited here and ZFS API support that neither exists on FreeBSD or Linux). Anyway: my definition of 'working' is 'working perfectly' of course ;)

• Ok, absolutely understandable :)
    Then I think my use case is not very complex and thus I never had problems with netatalk an samba together on xenial using ext4.

Going with option 2, the problem of my first posting persists ;) The whole VM is crashing on accessing the AFP-Shares.
    Did not try for TimeMachine explicitely, though.

Any Ideas on that? Or should I try, as already suggested, to update the netatalk Jessie-backport to the current version?

• Any Ideas on that?

As already said: you're talking about sharing the same directories with both Samba and Netatalk. I would never do this so removing all AFP shares and creating a new fresh one and test with this would be the first I would test.

I'm using OMV's Netatalk package extensively for the last 3 months on pretty lame hardware for performance tests. Never encountered a single problem that was related to Netatalk (only due to crappy hardware sometimes)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would prefer this. Two empty directories don't hurt and once a user installs Netatalk or activates monitoring stuff is already handled by folder2ram and doesn't need an additional reboot.

Done. 3.4.4 is in the repo. Change was simple.

• After few moth normal work OMV3 i had a problem. Listing afp share freeeze vm and its reboot after short time.

Linux omv 4.9.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.51-1~bpo8+1 (2017-10-17) x86_64 GNU/Linux

netatalk-3.1.9-1
    openmediavault-3.0.94

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!