My 64TB build

• Hello all. I've been kinda carefully planning my 64TB build and it is as follows :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WCydf8

I require it to be able to transcode 2 streams comfortably, which is why I chose this processor. Bearing this in mind, is there anything about this build that anyone would change? If so, why?

Also, I plan on installing OMV onto the 64GB SSD drive. The motherboard has a USB 3.0 port onto it, which I plan on using for the OS drive via a USB 3.0 -> Sata 3 cable. This will leave the 8 sata slots available for the storage drives. Will this work? I've read (albeit the posts were old) that people had problems booting off of USB 3.0 devices and had to use USB 2.0 ports.

Thanks in advance!

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• Offizieller Beitrag

64TB? 8 Slots...This is a Raid0 with 8TB Drives...
    Is is this, what you really want

Unless they are pooled with the unionfilesystems plugin. Hope there is a backup planned for this...

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

His point of using raid 0 is still valid. If you lost one drive, everything would be gone. With unionfilesystems, you only lose data from the failed drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Ah. Going to jbod the discs. Would unionfilesystems be better? I've never heard of this before.

• If you are going jbod, I would look into stuff like SnapRAID to add some parity.

Thank you, I will read up on it.

Can anyone tell me if using a USB 3.0 SSD will work as a boot drive when connected to a USB 3.0 port?

• His point of using raid 0 is still valid. If you lost one drive, everything would be gone. With unionfilesystems, you only lose data from the failed drive.

Could you explain how to do it? Actually, when I had experienced 1 hdd failure with unionfilesystem(mergerfs), I had no idea how to revive the lost data from the failed drive. So I returned back to omv 2.0 from 3.0.

• Offizieller Beitrag

when I had experienced 1 hdd failure with unionfilesystem(mergerfs), I had no idea how to revive the lost data from the failed drive

You have to restore from backup or like Niemand said, use snapraid. The unionfilesystems aren't backup or redundancy.

• While OMV can simplify some of the setup you may want to read some tutorials to get an idea of what's going under the hood.

https://github.com/trapexit/backup-and-recovery-howtos
    http://zackreed.me/setting-up-snapraid-on-ubuntu/
    http://zackreed.me/mergerfs-an…pool-your-snapraid-disks/

Union filesystems tend to just literally create a union of several filesystems. That's it. RAID{1,5,6,Z} like redundancy requires another solution. SnapRaid is popular one. Some people even use a software RAID solution and create a few smaller arrays of drives and then union them so they can do more targeted upgrades of drives.

Regardless of local redundancy you should always have a proper backup solution if the data is important. Some use CrashPlan. Some a cloud provider like Google GDrive or Amazon + some backup or mirroring software.

Due to my years of data hoarding and my search to close random usability gaps I've found myself doing all of the above except the small RAID pools.

• Could you explain how to do it? Actually, when I had experienced 1 hdd failure with unionfilesystem(mergerfs), I had no idea how to revive the lost data from the failed drive. So I returned back to omv 2.0 from 3.0.

As far as I understood it, the unionfs simply pool together different filesystems from different phyisical disk to act like they're one disk.
    If you take away one disk from the NAS the data in it will still be readable. So if one of the hdd fails, you will lose only those data while the others hdd and data will remain intact.
    Clearly, unless you have cold backups or some kind of parity, the data of the failed hdd is lost.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I understood it, the unionfs simply pool together different filesystems from different phyisical disk to act like they're one disk.
    If you take away one disk from the NAS the data in it will still be readable. So if one of the hdd fails, you will lose only those data while the others hdd and data will remain intact.
    Clearly, unless you have cold backups or some kind of parity, the data of the failed hdd is lost.

You are correct.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!