Proxmox on top of OMV3

• Hi there,
    I need some sort of virtualization Hypervisor to run VMs on my OMV3.
    VirtualBox isnt working and its not my favorite coice to be honest.

I was looking at installing Proxmox, has anyone ever installed Proxmox on OMV3? is it safe/ok?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was looking at installing Proxmox, has anyone ever installed Proxmox on OMV3? is it safe/ok?

Stop... Don't go down this path. Proxmox and OMV have conflicting dependencies. While I was able to make it work by removing things from OMV's code, this is not maintainable. Just run OMV as a VM in Proxmox.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Stop... Don't go down this path. Proxmox and OMV have conflicting dependencies. While I was able to make it work by removing things from OMV's code, this is not maintainable. Just run OMV as a VM in Proxmox.

yeah I was expecting that, that is why I wanted to confirm.
    Thank you for that.

I cant run OMV as a VM because I cant do passtru of PCI devices and due to that OMV wouldnt have direct access to the drives.

• Maybe just a simple OMV+KVM and virtmgr?
    So u have direct access to io and a virtualizator on top . Depends on what are your requirements..

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• I cant run OMV as a VM because I cant do passtru of PCI devices and due to that OMV wouldnt have direct access to the drives.

You can pass through the drives directly without passing the PCI adapter. You don't even need to mount them on the host.

You will lose spindown and SMART, but those can be handled on the host if you really need them.

• I would think it's not wise to mix omv and proxmox ve within the same system. It's just creates too much complex and will break easily.

I would recommended run omv3 inside a LXC container in Proxmox VE;
    or run omv3 inside a kvm VM in Proxmox VE.

Then pass through the hard drivers to the omv instance.
    Smart was working but recent qemu updates breaks it, so at the moment, smart will not work with passthrough (can be viewed from within Proxmox VE however).

This also took advantage of the ZFS mirror boot drive of the Proxmox VE to provide good backup for the omv system.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!