Odd/Broken login screen

• Hi,

I'm having some problems with the login screen, if I enter the correct username/password, the box resets itself to empty fields and I can't get in.
    I can get in via ssh ok, but the login screen won't let me in.

I seem to have problems whenever there is an error with a configuration that I'm trying to achieve....ie if I set something up and it goes wrong, despite doing a 'revert', the system becomes unstable from that point.
    Yesterday I was trying to set up an rsync job between a local share and a share on a remote nas, I tried setting up the external nas on the Remote Mount plugin and also as a remote job in rsync - both of these failed to save down and I had to 'revert' and delete everything. I also tried to set up email notifications, this doesn't work either. Since then I've had the login problems.

Is there a way to fix the system via ssh? ...it's not a huge issue as I take an image of my SD (Rpi3) before any updates, so I can get back ok if I need to.

• ....so I googled OMV-firstaid.

I've ran all of the options with the exception of 'clean apt' as, I'm guessing, this will do a clean instal?

I've re-booted via ssh and refreshed the web browser, but I'm still getting the same problem.

Incidentally, if I enter an incorrect password, I get the 'incorrect password' message. It's only when I enter the correct password that it cycles back to a login prompt.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clean apt cleans up the apt repository and clears the server side javascript cache. Both would probably help you. It sounds like your OS drive is full. Post the output of: df -h

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Clean apt cleans up the apt repository and clears the server side javascript cache. Both would probably help you. It sounds like your OS drive is full. Post the output of: df -h

Yep, I think you are right!

I ran 'clean apt' and now I can get in.

Here's results of df -h...

I guess 98% isn't great!

It's only an 8GB card - I'll pick up a bigger one!

Thanks for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would try to figure out why it is filling though. My backup OMV system only has an 8 gb os drive and doesn't use more than 2gb after 2 years.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes, I have been trying to figure out why this is happening. An hour after I fixed the problem, the disk was full again.

I'm not that great with command line (but I am learning!), if I do [tt]cd /[\tt]to get to the folder and then do [tt]ls -lah[\tt]I get this...

...which is only 116k.

Incidentally, I don't know if this is related at all, but when I run 'Clear out local repository of uploaded package files', I get the following error...

Code
    W: Failed to fetch copy:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives/Packages  Invalid file format

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    ERROR: Command '['apt-get', 'update']' returned non-zero exit status 100
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You changed to the root directory and the ls command just listed the size of all of those directories not the files in it. You don't need to change to the directory to get a listing of it.

ls -alh / will do the same thing.

du -d1 -h / will show you how much is being used in the first level of directories.

• You changed to the root directory and the ls command just listed the size of all of those directories not the files in it. You don't need to change to the directory to get a listing of it.

ls -alh / will do the same thing.

du -d1 -h / will show you how much is being used in the first level of directories.

Thanks for your help again!

I decided to rebuild OMV from scratch again as I couldn't figure out the problem - and also, none of my backup images seemed to work!
    I've been using Apple Pi Baker to to create an image of the SD, but when I restore an image, the Pi won't boot.

Is there a plugin that will backup the system? ...I can see that there are a few in the plugins, is there a recommended one?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backup plugin isn't easy to restore. If you are using OSX, dd is a good option. No idea what Apple Pi Baker is.

• This has happened again!
    Just over a month after the last rebuild.

The main sd is full and I can't get in through the front end.

I only use Plex - the database is located on an external HDD share (or at least it says it is).
    I'm using it to store ripped CDs. The audio files are definitely on the HDD - is it possible that plex is storing something on the SD?

This is baffling!

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible that plex is storing something on the SD?

Probably but I don't use plex. Did you execute the du -d1 -h / command again and figure out where the space is being used? You might have to use a larger OS partition to prevent this.

• I ran OMV-firstaid and did options 8 and 9 (8 gave me an error about not being able to download files).

This allowed me to get back in the front end.

I took a screen shot of the file system...

...I realise now that this is where all the OMV content is and that it gets smaller every time I check for updates and install new features (doh!).
    I'm not sure why there's a partition with no name that's not being used?? ...how can I reclaim that space for the OMV partition?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure why there's a partition with no name that's not being used?? ...how can I reclaim that space for the OMV partition?

That was added because people didn't need all of the space for the OS. Seems like there is no good option. Unmount the partition in the OMV web interface if it is mounted. Then boot gparted-live on machine with an SD card slot. Delete the third partition and resize the partitions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had the same problem you're having. (Couldn't log into the Web GUI. SSH only.)In my case, I used OMV-firstaid which appeared to fix the problem, but it was temporary. (Because that action just freed up a bit more space on the partition.)

ryecoaaron
    clued me into the possibility that I had a full OMV partition. After than, I watched the progress of my OMV partition growing until I couldn't log into WEB GUI. (Again..) As it turned out, it was my UrBackup plugin. After it was first installed, it tried to save backups onto my SD boot media. Of course, I redirected client backup data to my data drive. But I failed to notice that UrBackup was also using the OMV drive for logs and other temp files. While they are temporary in nature, at times the space requirement can be large.

I imaged my 8Gig boot SD card back into a .img file and wrote the .img file onto a larger 16Gig card. As ryecoaaron suggested to you; I booted a regular PC with a GParted boot CD, with an SD card slot, and resized the omv partition to use some of the extra unallocated space. I moved one partiton to the end of the newly available unallocated space and expanded the OMV ext4 partition to use the rest. It works fine.

If there's unallocated space available on your SD card, you might be able to use GParted to simply resize and enlarge your OMV boot partition.

After that, you need to look at where your plug-in's are storing data, logs, and temp files. In my case, I went to the UrBackup web site for this information.

• Back to this!

So I replaced the 8gb SD card with a 32gb card thinking that it would fix the space problem.

I started from scratch, a clean install - literally all I've done is added Plex and this is what I get...

This is before I even pointed Plex at my library so the problem is definitely with the Plex plugin and it gets worse as the database expands.

The option to move the database location is greyed out on the OMV Plex page - if the Plex database could be moved out of the OMV partition, it would solve the problem.

Surely I cant be the only one that's had this problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Look closer at your partitions on your 32GB card. The 3rd partition, without a label, is where all the extra space of your card is allocated and it's not needed there. ((The moderators could explain the unlabeled partition better, but I believe it's a swap partition. If it is a swap partition and the flash media plugin is installed, per the instructions for the plugin, it should be disabled by commenting it out in /etc/fstab. ))
    Your OMV partition is a mere 3.18GB (of your 32GB card) and this is where nearly all OMV file activity takes place. If Plex needs a bit more room for metadata or something like that, by enlarging the OMV partition, this problem would be resolved. While I mentioned the process in this thread before, this issue has cropped up so many times, I wrote a detailed guide for reallocating partitions on flash media.

The instructions below are for a 16GB card. Adjust your partitions accordingly, giving the bulk of the room to the the partition labeled OMV. (The link below has other info bits on Plex, filling the OMV partition, file locations, etc. BTW: If you're not backing up your flash media, how to do that is mentioned as well.)

Enlarge OMV partition

Lastly, if you're not using the flash media plugin, install it ASAP.
    Per the instructions on the flash media plugin page, some manual editing of etc/fstab is required.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the problem is definitely with the Plex plugin

I disagree. It isn't the plugin's fault that Plex doesn't put the database in the application directory specified. The plugin can't really do anything that I consider a good solution to fix this. Plus, the OS partition is too small. This wouldn't be an issue if there was no data partition on the SD card (which is what OMV recommends).

• Lastly, if you're not using the flash media plugin, install it ASAP.
    Per the instructions on the flash media plugin page, some manual editing of etc/fstab is required.

I've done a search in the plugins listing, the only thing that come up for 'flash' is folder2ram - is this the plugin I need?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!