rsync full access and ftp read-only access possible?

• I want an user to have full access via rsync, but read-only access via ftp, is that possible to set up? Eventually it could be two users, one with rsync access only, and another with ftp read-only access.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sure. Two users would be easy. Create a shared folder, give userA full access to that shared folder, and give userB read only access to that shared folder. Then setup rsync and ftp with that folder. userA would have full access via rsync and ftp and userB would have read only access via rsync and ftp though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use ftp but there is probably an option you can put in the ftp share's extra option box to make it read only.

Otherwise, create a shared folder with full access for userA called sharedfolderA with a path of files/
    Then create shared folder with read only access for userB called sharedfolderB with a path of files/files/

Use sharedfolderA for rsync and just rsync to files/files/. Use sharedfolderB and it should be read only.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Looks like there's no elegant way to do that.
    How about allowing/disallowing protocol access for an user? So userA has rsync access only and userB has FTP access only?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like there's no elegant way to do that.

That was elegant to me. Just need to add a directory when rsyncing.

How about allowing/disallowing protocol access for an user?

Neither rsync or ftp require the user to be in a group. So, hard to restrict a user to a service.

The problem is you want different permission by service and on the same shared folder. With OMV 2.x, you could create shared folders pointing to the same location. Then this was easy. With OMV 3.x, you cannot create shared folders pointing to the same location. So, this is difficult.

@votdev In my opinion, lines 280-293 should be removed to allow situations like this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@votdev In my opinion, lines 280-293 should be removed to allow situations like this.

This might be an solution, but on the other side this will confuse the user because the ACL settings are related to the physical directory. Maybe some users do not understand the difference between ACL of the file system and the privileges used to configure the access to the share by the services.

If this issue should be more discussed please open a new bug-/feature report.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If this issue should be more discussed please open a new bug-/feature report.

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1695

• I vaguely remember 0.x versions to have protocol ACLs... I'm on v1 here but if you say that on v2 I could create two shares of the same catalog then perhaps I could upgrade, it's a small and safe upgrade from v1 to v2 IIRC?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I vaguely remember 0.x versions to have protocol ACLs...

All versions have the ACL dialog for shared folders.

I'm on v1 here

I thought you were on OMV 3.x. My mistake.

if you say that on v2 I could create two shares of the same catalog then perhaps I could upgrade, it's a small and safe upgrade from v1 to v2 IIRC?

OMV 1.x can create multiple shared folders on the same path/volume. I would still upgrade. 1.x to 2.x is an easy upgrade.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!