Unable to delete missing HDD from filesystems

• Hey guys,

i got a little problem. I want to get a new external hdd running on my omv headless system. By taking a look at the filesystems tab i saw that the last failing external hdd which i connected is still in the list and as soon as i try to mount the new hdd the system tells me: "Failed to get the filesystem implementation for '/dev/disk/by-uuid/C24C1BD34C1BC0D9' or the filesystem does not exist." <- this is the old drive
    So then i tried to delete the old drive just to find that the moment i click apply i get the same error message. So it seems i first have to erase the old hdd. How can i do that if the gui won't let me?
    I found some solution on the web explaining that i would have to change it in the config.xml in /etc/openmediavault/. But i was not able to locate my old hdd in there.
    Does anybody have a solution?

Cheers

• Thx,

i followed your instructions and was able to delete the following part

I rebooted the pi and when i returned to the gui i got the message that i need to aprove some changes. When i try to accept them i get the same error message as before. The detailed version looks like this:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not to muscle in on the exchange between you and The Master,, however;

I found, a while back, that you can't delete the file system or the physical HDD until all references to it (shares, rsync, even SMART monitoring) have been deleted first. Essentially, all HDD operations, plug-in's that reference the file system, etc., that you applied to install the file system and HDD need to be "undone" in reverse order. The following is an example of an earlier post to another OMV user:

1. Delete Samba/CIF shares
    2. Delete the Shared folders
    3. Unmount and Delete the file system
    4. Delete the RAID array
    4.1 And to be sure, go under Storage, S.M.A.R.T, Devices, and turn monitoring off for the physical disk(s) you want to delete. Delete all schedule tests, if any.
    After that's done, under the Settings Tab, you could turn S.M.A.R.T off completely.
    5. Delete the physical disks

The above doesn't directly apply your situation because you've probably done other operations that reference your file system / HDD, but the concept holds true. If something (shares, shared folders, rsync) is referencing the filesystem on the dead HDD, OMV (the GUI) won't release it. (Note: This would apply only if your original config.xml file is in use.)

** Since you've altered your config.xml, this may no longer apply. (And / or) you may have something far more technical going on. Getting down into the Linux nuts and bolts, The Master knows far more than I do. **

• Thx for your reply flmaxey. I figured something like this would be necessary. But then again because the old hdd was faulty i didn't actually use it. I only mounted it and when i tried to copy some files via ssh i found that it was totally unreliable. Therefore there where no shared folders or other entries. At least as far as i know.
    Last night i went crazy and copied the config.xml file a bunch of times and updated the packages on the pi and did a lot of other stuff. For some reason at some point the old hdd was just gone out of the config.xml and gui. I can't really retrace what made it work, but for now it seems fixed.

Thx for all your help guys!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thx for your reply flmaxey. I figured something like this would be necessary. But then again because the old hdd was faulty i didn't actually use it. I only mounted it and when i tried to copy some files via ssh i found that it was totally unreliable. Therefore there where no shared folders or other entries. At least as far as i know.
    Last night i went crazy and copied the config.xml file a bunch of times and updated the packages on the pi and did a lot of other stuff. For some reason at some point the old hdd was just gone out of the config.xml and gui. I can't really retrace what made it work, but for now it seems fixed.

Thx for all your help guys!

For my little 2 cents, you're most welcome.

Just note, in future builds, that the file system / physical disk doesn't need to be installed (attached, powered on, etc.) to be "referenced" by an rsync operation, a grey hole plug-in, a shared folder, a samba share and at the physical disk level, RAID arrays or LVM. Even if the HDD is not physically there, OMV's configuration will retain settings and scripts. (It makes sense if you think about it. You wouldn't want OMV settings and scripts to evaporate simply because a HDD enclosure didn't power up.)

Until all of the top level stuff is deleted - canceled - turned off, the OMV GUI may refuse to release the file system and, in the case of RAID arrays or LVM, the physical disk itself. It only takes one high level reference to a share, etc., to hang things up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!