OMV 3 won't start xserver (for kodi use) - newbie seeking help

• Greeting everyone,
    it's been over a month i'm trying to set up my new PC as a NAS+Kodi media center.

Started with OVM and switched multiple times between debian, ubuntu (both server and desktop) and again to OVM with no luck.

Sticking to OVM my main problems is: I can't start xserver. Running xinit kodi (both as root and user) gives a "No Display" error that I don't know how to overcome.
    As an example Ive been able to start xinit kodi on an ubuntu server, so I'm guessing something is wrong with configuration files and not hardware.

Is there anyone in here willing to help?

My linux knowledge is limited to google search and copy/paste commands which, in most cases, I don't even understand, but they seem relevant.

As of now I came to the point where nothing helps and I feel like im the only one in the entire web with this problem :)

For starters my hardware is:

mobo: GA b250M-DS3H
    cpu: intel G4650 (kabylake)
    8gb ram

currently running a ubuntu 16.10 server with working kodi but I dont wont this to be my final choice. ;(

• I'd suggest you to install plain debian with any Desktop Environment to your liking. Then install OMV from sources (See Installation Subforum Sticky on how to do that.)

This should make your Kodi install work.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'd suggest you to install plain debian with any Desktop Environment to your liking. Then install OMV from sources (See Installation Subforum Sticky on how to do that.)

This should make your Kodi install work.

Greetings
    David

Ok, I've installed debian with xfce4.
    Successfully installed OMV (logged in via web, so even I, with my limited linux knowledge know it's there and running).
    Then I installed kodi - from jessie-backports repo via apt-get.

At the moment, when I try to run kodi (point and click) while being logged into xfce4, my screen blinks once and returns to default desktop.
    Nothing more happens.

May I count for further hints?
    Much appreciated. Thank you,

• What does it say when you try to run Kodi from a commandline window in the xfce4 desktop?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu-kodi/kodi-xrandr: Failed to get siex of gamma for output default
    LLVM ERROR: Cannot select: intrinsic %llvm.x86.sse41.pblendvb Segmentation fault
    Crach report avaible at /root/kodi_crashlog....

(sorry for typos is any)

• Can you open up the crashlog (via ssh) and post it here?

Greetings
    David

• Here goes my log:

ps. i have no idea where code title came from.
    pps. thanks for willing to help! much appreciated.

best regards

• Can you tell me which kernel you are running? uname -a shows it.

Also which videocard are you using?

Greetings
    David

• Greetings,

I managed to make some progress but I think it's a temporary solution.

As descibed here i updated the following from jessie-backports:

With those drivers / packages updated I'm able to open kodi from debian desktop or from shell with `DISPLAY=:0 kodi`.
    Problem is, it's very heavy on CPU.

In kodi, GPU is recognized as:
    GALLIUM 0.4 on llvmpipe(LLVM 3.8, 128bits)
    OpenGL vendor: VMware
    OpenGL version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.5

With the above, while kodi is running CPU load averages at 30-45% on standby.

As a second step I also updated linux-kernel from backports to

Linux nas 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1~bpo8+1 (2017-02-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux

using this newer kernel gives even higher CPU loads (averaging around 70%)

Anything else I can try?

Regards,
    blazko

• UPDATE:
    I updated all available packages from jessie-backports, rebooted and it solved the heavy CPU load problem.

GPU is properly recognized as: Mesa DRI Interl(R) Kabylake GT1
    load on stanby is 0-1%.

My last questions before calling this problem solved would be more linux general:

• How can skip loading XFCE4 (or remove it completly) as default and preferably load kodi instead? In the current state, I need to specifically log into xfce4 (which is hard in long term as this PC should stay headless/keyboardless with only TV connected via HDMI) and only then I can fire up kodi (via ssh or point-and-click).
    • Can I assume, that following the whole update package path I took here, kodi would run on plain OMV without debian initially installed? I can skip this step and leave my system in current state as long as a no attached phisical keyboard operation is possible.

Things are starting to look good.
    Once again thanks for all the help and hints.

EDIT:

updating all packadges from backports was probably not the smartest move. Some things got messed up.

• In OMV webGUI all performance metrics stopped working
    • openvpn (installed via apt) connects to my VPN (nordVPN) but blocks internet connection completly. Might have something to do with DNS as i'm able to traceroute ip adresses but nothing else (also I lack knowledge how to fix it) SOLVED

If anyone would be kind enough to make a list of packadges needed only for the kodi problem I would set up a fresh install without making a full dist-upgrade from backports (so that omv can work as it normally would)

• I've tried a new approach - installed debian jessie form scratch,
    made a distr-upgrade from backports.

Kodi worked out of the box.

New problem is - OMV wont install now.

Apt says that php5-pam protoftpd-mod-vroot php5-proctile are needed but "won't be installed".

• Are you sure you set the correct version of OMV in your openmediavault.list?

Greetings
    David

• Damn, you are right!
    I used

from here: Howto install OpenMediaVault on Debian 7.x (Wheezy)

I already reinstalled debian so I will add these:

EDIT: or maybe I should use these: echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" ?

Just to be sure: is it OK, to make a distr-upgrade from backports first, and then install OMV?

EDIT2: I'll answer myself. After correcting OMV repo to erasmus all went fine.
    debian is working
    omv is working
    kodi 16.1 is working

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von b1azk0 () aus folgendem Grund: add echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main"

• Getting Kodi on a TV is pretty cheap and simple these days. I would recommend setting up your media share drives as normal on OMV then buy a fire stick and use Kodi thorough that. Hell u could even install Envy on the server and stick and bypass Kodi entirely.... But that's no fun. I'm a Kodi user myself through the fire stick

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!