vbox plugin, phpvbox, access denied when creating VMs.

    • OMV 3.x
    • vbox plugin, phpvbox, access denied when creating VMs.

      My system:

      debian 8.7 jessie+ LXDE
      OMV 3.0.65 Erasmus
      virtualbox plugin 3.06 + virtralbox 5.14 + phpvirtualbox 5.05

      All of the above are freshly installed. No error during the installation.

      When I tried to create a new VM, I got the information as below:

      VirtualBox error: rc=0x80bb0004 Invalid machine settings file name'/media/ed0d686d-6027-4b87-a124-c66d32ebe341/vms/a/a.vbox'(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED) (0x80bb0004)

      I checked that the folder vms is owned by vbox and r/w for vboxusers, I manually added user admin to vboxusers group when I found it was initially in users only. But didn't work out.
      I tried set he folder vms r/w to anyone but still didn't work out.
      I also tried login to phpvirtralbox with another username and tried to save the VMS to another folder which under the responding home, nothing good happened.

      I am confused.
      1. It seems that the phpvirtualbox is an indepent part from virtualbox plugin and just a link in the latter. The username to login in phpvirtualbox should has nothing to do with the admin used in OMV webUI. Am I right?
      2. How should I have this problem resolved to enjoy my VMs?
      3. May I still be able to use virtualbox under Desktop environment? If yes, am I able to manage the VMs created under desktop environment in the virtualbox plugin?

      I am new in this forum and Linux world.
      Looking for your help and any hint would be appreciated!Thousands of thanks!
    • 1 - phpvirtualbox is a separate php app that connects to virtualbox's web service. The openmediavault-virtualbox plugin just installs and configures it. The admin user in phpvirtualbox is the same admin user (and password) as OMV's admin user. If you change the admin password in the OMV web interface, you will need to use that password for the admin user in phpvirtualbox.

      2 - Not sure why you are getting that error. I was able to create a VM with the name 'a'. What type of filesystem is your shared folder?

      3 - I wouldn't install a desktop environment on OMV but the VMs created anywhere are the same VMs. The plugin doesn't create any VMs. phpvirtualbox talks to the virtualbox server to create VMs. The desktop client talks to the virtualbox server just like phpvirtualbox.
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Thank you, ryecoaaron.
      My filesystem is ext4.

      I did some more test.
      I can create users and make directories in OMV (the directory 'test' can be seen when I log as root via puffy).
      I can log in with the user I created to ftp service too.
      But the users I created can't upload files to the server. Permission denied....


      My settings are showed as below.
      I found that I can't make Recursive Apply permissions to files and subfolders selected. Though it's selced before I click Apply, it's unselected whenever I reopen this dialog box.






      The post was edited 1 time, last by yudouxie ().

    • Sorry to dig out this old fred but I have exactly the same problem when I try to create a virtual machine with my freshly installed OMV4

      yudouxie wrote:

      When I tried to create a new VM, I got the information as below:

      VirtualBox error: rc=0x80bb0004 Invalid machine settings file name'/media/ed0d686d-6027-4b87-a124-c66d32ebe341/vms/a/a.vbox'(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED) (0x80bb0004)
      Looks like it can't write in the shared folder (ext 4) but all permissions are set as I think.
      read/write for vbox (user) and vboxusers (group). Also vbox is the owner of the share?

      ?(
      MOGA
      Make OMV great again!
      Make Virtual Box running!
    • R2D2 wrote:

      Sorry to dig out this old fred but I have exactly the same problem when I try to create a virtual machine with my freshly installed OMV4

      yudouxie wrote:

      When I tried to create a new VM, I got the information as below:

      VirtualBox error: rc=0x80bb0004 Invalid machine settings file name'/media/ed0d686d-6027-4b87-a124-c66d32ebe341/vms/a/a.vbox'(VERR_ACCESS_DENIED) (0x80bb0004)
      Looks like it can't write in the shared folder (ext 4) but all permissions are set as I think.read/write for vbox (user) and vboxusers (group). Also vbox is the owner of the share?

      ?(

      R2D2 wrote:

      Do I need to give "admin" user rights to write in the vm folder because I use this account to log in to phpvirtualbox?
      It has something to do with the encryption! I used LUKS - now I gave a try without and it worked right away... :S

      But we need encryption!
      MOGA
      Make OMV great again!
      Make Virtual Box running!
    • R2D2 wrote:

      But we need encryption!
      Encrypt the VM at the guest level.

      R2D2 wrote:

      It has something to do with the encryption! I used LUKS - now I gave a try without and it worked right away.
      LUKS didn't cause this unless the luks device was not unlocked. LUKS has nothing to do with filesystem permissions.

      By default, a shared folder is owner by the users group. The vbox user is not in the users group. So, you need to either make the shared folder world writable when creating it or change the group ownership to vboxusers.
      omv 4.1.13 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!