Deleted Folder - please help

• Hi, I made a mistake and deleted all files on one of the volumes - which is a new HD there was nothing else there. The directory is called Media and I wanted to copy all subfolders to a different volume using rsync. So first in the media directory I created a subfolder called NEW and moved all the other subfolders there. Later on playing with the rsync (I'm not always 100% sure with it) I made that mistake and deleted this NEW folder.
    I have to admit that I'm quite dumb as far as the LINUX file system is concerned...
    Can you please help me to recover the files. Or perhaps could I take the drive to my windows PC and recover it the there?

• Hi WastlJ- thank you for your answer.

I don't know how to download the "openmediavault-backup" plugin. There is only "openmediavault-usbbackup" which I dwnloaded and installed but I can't see any Photorec...

• WastlJ please, I'm unable to find the "openmediavault-backup" plugin, or where to download it from...

Please let me know how to get it.

Does it exist for OMV 2.x at all?

• Thank you WastlJ, I did not know I need to install the OMV-extras... So I did install it, then I installed the backup plugin and as you said "there is not much what I can do wrong there".
    So now the Photorec is running for about 13 hours - it is a 4Tib HD after all!

Thank you again this for openmediavault-backup plugin - it seems to be very useful!

• WastlJ, the PhotoRec created hundreds of folders with perhaps thousands of files... I don't think I will have time to access and check them...

So I thought that I will to try Extundelate to see how that one works. But there is nothing in the Source - I can't "Select a drive". Actually when I click the Source for the first time something written flashes there, but too fast to read it... Is there any solution to it? Any update?

• I´ve never used extundelete in another way than command line.

At first, I hope you remounted your drive as read only? OR just make sure you and no one else can write on that drive in the meantime.

It is as simple as that: (sd? - where ? stands for your correct drive letter)extundelete /dev/[b]sd?[/b] --restore-all

by the way - when photorec already restored something, I´d backup the data. No matter if it is sorted or not.

• Hi, thanks for your answer. It's only me who can add anything in the NAS, and I will make sure that I don't put anything on that volume, until I am happy with the recovery. Actually most of the files, like family pictures, my music etc. are on my back up drives, so I only need to find some music videos which I did not back up.

So again thanks WastlJ for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ou could also try to search for a file or folder. Best if it is a unique file/foldername.

cd / then do a find -name "FILENAME.EXT" or find -name "FOLDERNAME"

Photorec doesn't restore filenames.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

My reply was referring to a previous version of his post (he edited) - I thought, maybe he just rsynced onto another folder and doesn´t know where.

Oh. My mistake. Still good for people to know that photorec doesn't recover filenames though :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry guys I apologise for editing my post. I had to edit that post because I realized that I was wrong with the size of the drive I was referring to. I did not know that you are already answering it. My mistake.

• Hi WasstlJ, reycoaaron or anybody else - I was able to recover what I needed. At the beginning my mistake was trying to recover all files. Later on I realized that I need to configure the PhotoRec to recover only the files I'm looking for (e.g. mkv) and then it all became quite simple.

However, the first recovery attempt, when I tried to recover everything, created almost 2000 folders on the volume I specified. Now I would like to remove them but the only way I know how to do it is first to enable them using the OMV Access Rights Management and then deleting them. But it would take a lot of time to enable every single folder...

So please, is there any simple way how to get rid of them?

One more question: there is this extplorer plugin for OMV– does it work?

• Where have you recovered the files to? Is it a folder you can share with OMV or a system folder?

Could you give me the path, where all the folders are you want to delete?

(You can switch folders by using cd / then cd FOLDERNAME ...)

• Hi WastlJ - I've installed eXtplorer to see what it does...
    Attached here is a picture from the eXtplorer showing the folders which were created on one of my volumes- dev/sdc1 - I don't know why there is a different volume name in the eXtplorer as compared with the OMV.
    Since the PhotoRec is asking where to put the files, before going to the PhotoRec I created a folder called Media on dev/sdc1, which I then specified in the PhotoRec Destination.
    However, since I was trying to recover ALL files, I believe that the folder I specified became full quickly and then I think the PhotRec started creating more "Media" folders (as you can see on the picture). There is altogether 1756 folders each containing about 500 recovered files...
    I can share these folders but there si 1756 of them and that's my problem - I only now how to do it one-by-one in the OMV Access Rights Management - Shared Folders + Add.

Thanks for your help WastlJ

Regards - George

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!