Active Directory / LDAP Revisited

• OMV 3.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ryecoaaron wrote:

donh wrote:

Does anyone care about this feature? Has anyone tested other ldap or active directory servers?
      Looks interesting. Now that I know more about ldap and sssd, I could look into a bit more. If you could create a list of fields you would like to see in the plugin with their data type and default value (optional), that would help me greatly.
      Just a warning... I have no way to test AD nor do I want to mess with anything Windows related. Just ldap on my end :) If it works with AD, great.
      I looked for the existing ldap plugins. I thought there was an extras version but I could not find it. The official 3.1.6 version should have enough fields to get any directory service working. I would be willing to write a script to try and prefill some of the fields if they are available from dns. :)
      Images
      • Directory Plugin.png

84.93 kB, 637×557, viewed 69 times
      If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.
    • donh wrote:

The official 3.1.6 version should have enough fields to get any directory service working. I would be willing to write a script to try and prefill some of the fields if they are available from dns.
      So, should we fork that plugin to create a new one? The script would help.
      omv 3.0.80 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.9 backport kernel | omvextrasorg 3.4.25
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I think a new one would be better but you know the code better than I. SSSD has many features built in to it and only needs to manipulate 2 files, sssd.conf and smb.conf. sssd.conf is not used in the base system so no problems with that. smb.conf is used so it will be a bit more complicated. It will need to be integrated into the way smb.conf is now handled.

A switch to fix nsswitch.conf would be good too. A simple text edit to move dns up in the search order.

Getting ahead of things, maybe a button for some specific types of directory services.

I doubt if you could do this now but in 4.0 it would be best to add this to the bottom of the smb/cifs page so the settings would be in the same place.

Thanks!

PS: I am sure I over simplified this. Does your ldap use things other than I have shown? AD relies heavily on dns being correctly setup, that may have shielded me from some difficulties.

The post was edited 1 time, last by donh ().

• donh wrote:

I doubt if you could do this now but in 4.0 it would be best to add this to the bottom of the smb/cifs page so the settings would be in the same place.
      This isn't a problem. samba on OMV uses a runparts directory. So, it can be added to smb.conf the correct way without changing the samba plugin itself. The only issue we might run into is if it sets a setting that is already set by the samba plugin. But, samba uses the last setting parsed when there is more than one of the same settings.

donh wrote:

I think a new one would be better but you know the code better than I
      Do you want to call it openmediavault-sssd?
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

• "This isn't a problem. samba on OMV uses a runparts directory. So, it can be added to smb.conf the correct way without changing the samba plugin itself. The only issue we might run into is if it sets a setting that is already set by the samba plugin. But, samba uses the last setting parsed when there is more than one of the same settings."

Cool, if it is on the same page and you add something to the smb extras section would that be good enough? The name should probably be something like "Directory Service SSSd" or something. Use your judgement.
    • donh wrote:

Cool, if it is on the same page and you add something to the smb extras section would that be good enough?
      The plugin can do the equivalent of adding to the extras section but you won't see it in the extras section of the samba plugin.

donh wrote:

The name should probably be something like "Directory Service SSSd" or something. Use your judgement.
      Ok.

• New

bigfatme2000 wrote:

This looks really promising! I'd love to see this in a plugin format, as all my OMV installations hook into the same AD integration.
      You should be able to do it now and when the plugin comes out just backup your /etc/sssd/sssd.conf file and restore it. Maybe /etc/samba/smb.conf also. That's the only files effected.

I did a clean install with the 3 release over the weekend and all worked fine. It also works on 4.0 so the future looks good.
    • Users Online 2

2 Guests