SMB to SMB performance

• Hello

I've recently installed OMV, i like it a lot.

I've got a machine set up with 2 disks in it, each disk is shared via SMB.

Transfer to/from either disk is around 50mb/sek, which seems reasonable for these disks (older sata disks). This is measured when copying to my windows workstation.

However if i try to move data from one SMB share to the other (meaning from disk to disk). The performance drops to around 5-7/mb sec. This seems a bit slow. By moving I mean copy files between the SMB shares using my windows workstation.

Is this normal? It's a bit tiresome to work with such low speed if/when i have to move data from one disk to the other.

• Yeah it's certainly possible to move the files via SSH, but the whole idea with OMV is to have such a nice package for handling disk stuff :)
    Even if it's not a solution it's good to hear that I'm not alone.

• Actually, when testing some more it's not only between disks, it seems any copying between SMB shares at all is this slow. So even if the shares are on the same disk it's still this slow.

I'm suspecting that the data is actually going over my client PC.

• Yeah it's gigabit all of it, I can copy data to/from my windows pc from the OVM machine with 50-100megabytes/sec. It's the ovm share->ovm share copying thats slow. I can google a bit that it seems to be common for smb setups - something about the data actually being copied to the client and then back to the SMB server.

Gigabit nics in everything, Gigabit switch (gigabit router too but we're only doing LAN here).

• Are the nics the same in both OMV machines? Do you have virtualbox installed on both? Put a vm on the virtualbox plugin and test each machine against it's own vm, do with bridged adapters (not NAT). Also, do you have a spare cable. Change out cable going to each machine and see if that helps. If you find machine making the problem via the vm testing it may be a nic/driver issue. If changing cable fixes issue you know it was bad cable. Just some ideas.

• Aah, to clarify. I am talking about shares on the _same_ OMV machine and installation.

OMV install with:
    Disk 1 shared as Share A
    Disk 2 shared as Share B
    Disk 2 another share configured as Share C.

If i copy, from the windows explorer, from Share A to share B i see the slowdown. If i copy, from windows, from Share B to Share C i also see the slowdown.

If i copy from either share straight to the windows client it works fine at top speed.

I've also got another ubuntu machine, if i mount the OVM machine here via NFS and copy it works at top speed also. It seems to be a windows/SMB thing.

• You said, "If i copy, from the windows explorer, from Share A to share B i see the slowdown. If i copy, from windows, from Share B to Share C i also see the slowdown"

On these 2 examples your windows machine is a monkey in the middle. You are taking data from share A to your windows machine and then to share B. It is slow because it is going between 3 machines. If you did copy via command line on the OMV machine from share a to b this would not happen.

Same is true the way you do share b to c. Copy from OMV share B to your windows machine then to share C... SLOW. Try in command line to copy b to c right on the OMV.

You will especially see slowness in this type of copy if you are on laptop due to copy from share b then wireless to laptop and lastly wireless back to share c. It's crazy. If you moving data on same machine just use cp command

e.g.
    cp /media/uuid of disk1/sharea/filex /media/uuid of disk2/shareb/filex
    or
    cp /media/uuid of disk2/shareb/filex /media/uuid of disk2/sharec/filex

you get idea and make correct paths. No monkey in the middle to slow you down. If you do things the way you did with 3rd pc in the mix expect it to be slow. What you did pc in the middle I never do. Why would you go thru LAN when you can copy via internal SATA to SATA. What do you think is fastest????

halp..............

• Zitat von "simonp2"

Actually, when testing some more it's not only between disks, it seems any copying between SMB shares at all is this slow. So even if the shares are on the same disk it's still this slow.

I'm suspecting that the data is actually going over my client PC.

Of course it is going over your PC. But still, the drop in speed is enormous...

• Oh well, it's manageable, I'll have to make sure the data gets written to the right share in the first place, alternatively move things via the shell. Thanks for all the input.

• There is an ajaxplorer .deb file somewhere people are using for omv. I use webmin's file explorer or command line. You can also "apt-get install mc" for Midnight Commander. If you search forum you can find how to install webmin.

• The whole point of my comments was that you should not have the pc your on be in the middle of the transfer Tom. Figure out how to get data going from pc to pc, or share to share, with nothing in the middle. Do not use SAMBA to transfer from share to share on same OMV. Do not use SAMBA while on PC X to transfer from share A on OMV 1 to share B on OMV 2. You want direct as possible transfer.

In share A to share B on same OMV:
    use cp command
    or
    use a filemanager on that OMV

In share A on OMV 1 to share B on OMV2:
    I have vnc installed and vnc into desktop on receiving OMV2, browse network, copy from OMV1 and paste.
    or
    vnc to desktop of receiving OMV2 and use chrome and webmin to download from OMV1.
    or
    you could setup ftp on OMV1 and ftp in command line on OMV2 to get file (alternative vnc to desktop and use Filezilla to get file)
    or
    you can get files via SSH from OMV1 to OMV2. You can use sftp, or scp, while in SSH session. This is your best bet. Just Google and you'll see how to do it.

I don't have time to teach all this stuff. VNC is hard to setup for beginner. I use SSH tunnel for my VNC sessions too.

This gives you some ideas. For some people if they have their OMV at a desktop, and not in the basement like me, perhaps it is good idea to do full install of Debian then add OMV on top. Then they would could use Filezilla easily or just copy and paste via network browsing.

• Sorry to bring up this old thread again. I also encountered this issue as simonp2. I then realized that the SMB TO SMB copy was actually gone through my laptop. It seems to me that this is a typical SMB implementation, that is, copy everything via NIC even if those SMB sharefolders are on the same disk.

I have a early model of Netgear NAS. I remember that Netgear actually implemented the SMB-to-SMB copy to bypass NIC if sharefolders are actually on the same disk(or same computer) but you have to log in the SMB using admin account. If you log in as guest, the NAS still handle SMB-to-SMB copy via NIC.

I just wonder if Volker can implement this feature in the future!

• Zitat von "yugn"

[...]that is, copy everything via NIC even if those SMB sharefolders are on the same disk.

That is why I have an extra share for this kind of administration things to move stuff around on the same disk.

Zitat von "yugn"

I have a early model of Netgear NAS. I remember that Netgear actually implemented the SMB-to-SMB copy to bypass NIC if sharefolders are actually on the same disk(or same computer) but you have to log in the SMB using admin account. If you log in as guest, the NAS still handle SMB-to-SMB copy via NIC.

I just wonder if Volker can implement this feature in the future!

If I remember correctly to my old "I set up my own network share with a debian server" times, debian already handled it that way! But I just tested, OMV doesn't...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "yugn"

What netgear NAS? I can't find anything about this. I would think you would have to modify samba itself to do this.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

What netgear NAS? I can't find anything about this. I would think you would have to modify samba itself to do this.

It is Netgear Readynas duo. I can't recall where is the thread now. You have to log into SMB using admin account. And you will see extra folder "c" which is the root folder. You have to double click into "c" folder to navigate various folders,then perform copy-and-paste to enable local disk copy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still don't get how that enables local disk copy. I wish netgear told more on how it works.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!