VPN over a VPN

• Hello all,

I am planning to install OMV on an ODROID XU4 that I have laying around and use it as a NAS, PLEX server, and some other things.

But i have a VPN server on my router, and I also want to access my NAS over the web so do I need to setup a second VPN ? If so, does my router not risk to block the connection ? Long story short, how can I access my NAS through my router ?
    I know a bit about networks, but not a lot about VPN's.

I hope you can help me.

Edge

X79 NAS (OMV6)
    Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 - Intel Xeon E5-2609 - 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Samsung 850 EVO 250G SSD OS drive - 6x4TB ( mix of WD red & Seagate Ironwolf ) RAID 6 data pool
    Corsair VS550 PSU - Antec P183 case

Project NAS/Server (OS TBD) :
    Motherboard TBD ( currently MSI B150i Gaming Pro AC ) - CPU TBD ( currently Intel Core i5 6400 ) - 16GB DDR4 RAM
    Samsung 970 Evo 250G SSD OS drive - 4x8TB Seagate Ironwolf PRO RAID 5 data pool
    Seasonic SGX 450 PSU - Cooler Master Elite 130 case

• Hi,

But i have a VPN server on my router, and I also want to access my NAS over the web

that is exactly what you need to access your NAS over the web.
    Or did I misunderstand something?
    Or do you have an VPN-CLIENT on your router?

• I have a VPN server on the router, it's not a client. So I could connect to my NAS by connecting mysef to the VPN server on the router without having to setup a second VPN server on my NAS to access it ?

X79 NAS (OMV6)
    Samsung 850 EVO 250G SSD OS drive - 6x4TB ( mix of WD red & Seagate Ironwolf ) RAID 6 data pool

Motherboard TBD ( currently MSI B150i Gaming Pro AC ) - CPU TBD ( currently Intel Core i5 6400 ) - 16GB DDR4 RAM

• So I could connect to my NAS by connecting mysef to the VPN server on the router without having to setup a second VPN server on my NAS to access it ?

Usually it works exactly this way.
    I say "usually" cause I don't know your setup.
    In my case I have an OpenVPN Server on my router and connect from outside using a "tun" interface.
    And I have firewall rules to allow the traffic between my lan and the VPN network.

• Okay, thanks, I will do some tests on a VM to see if it works.

X79 NAS (OMV6)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!