Remote share mount Permission denied

• Hi, I configured e remote share mount but when I ssh on omv machine if I try to access this folder I receive a "Permission denied"; why?
    I need to perform some bash operation on files.

Another question: where smb share or mountign point in general should be placed in a linux system?

Code
    aaa@raspberrypi /srv $ ll
    total 20
    drwx------   2 root root    4096 Apr 13 07:44 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264
    drwxrwsrwx+ 16 1000 users   4096 Apr 12 23:59 dev-disk-by-label-ScreenPlayHD
    drwxr-xr-x   2 ftp  nogroup 4096 Jun 30  2014 ftp
    drwxr-xr-x   2 1000 users   4096 Apr 13 00:05 vodafone_smb
    aaa@raspberrypi /srv $ cd 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264/
    -bash: cd: 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264/: Permission denied
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I configured e remote share mount but when I ssh on omv machine if I try to access this folder I receive a "Permission denied"; why?

Permissions on mount allow for root access only according to this: drwx------ Did you try creating a shared folder using it?

where smb share or mountign point in general should be placed in a linux system?

Not sure I understand your question.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Permissions on mount allow for root access only according to this: drwx------ Did you try creating a shared folder using it?

I only added the remote share entry in omv gui, the folder was created automatically by omv.

Not sure I understand your question.

In a linux system, were is recommended to put mount folder? under /mnt? under /media? under /srv?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I only added the remote share entry in omv gui, the folder was created automatically by omv.

It has to mount the remote share somewhere and that is the folder it creates. If you create a shared folder using the remote share, it will create another folder in /media or /srv that you should be able to access with a non-root user if you give that user privileges.

In a linux system, were is recommended to put mount folder? under /mnt? under /media? under /srv?

OMV's new default is /srv but if you are manually creating a mount, it is up to you. On non-OMV systems, I typically use /mnt for remote mounts or usb devices and /srv for samba shares.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Not sure I understand your question.

Ok, I get it.
    But when I create e Shared Folder in "Device" I can see only the usb hdd attached and a partition of the raspberry microSD but I cannot choose the remote smb mounted under /srv/584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264

• Offizieller Beitrag

But when I create e Shared Folder in "Device" I can see only the usb hdd attached and a partition of the raspberry microSD but I cannot choose the remote smb mounted under /srv/584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264

Something must not have been created correctly.

• Hi, I configured e remote share mount but when I ssh on omv machine if I try to access this folder I receive a "Permission denied"; why?
    I need to perform some bash operation on files.

Another question: where smb share or mountign point in general should be placed in a linux system?

Code
    aaa@raspberrypi /srv $ ll
    total 20
    drwx------   2 root root    4096 Apr 13 07:44 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264
    drwxrwsrwx+ 16 1000 users   4096 Apr 12 23:59 dev-disk-by-label-ScreenPlayHD
    drwxr-xr-x   2 ftp  nogroup 4096 Jun 30  2014 ftp
    drwxr-xr-x   2 1000 users   4096 Apr 13 00:05 vodafone_smb
    aaa@raspberrypi /srv $ cd 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264/
    -bash: cd: 584caf66-fd3c-4814-892a-1a7eb0bd7264/: Permission denied

Hello,

Linux Mountpoint /mnt and /media are a good choice.
    /mnt for commandline
    /media for Desktop
    Media is automatic shown at Desktop mnt not.

How do you mount your share?
    I create a Folder in mnt with sudo or sudo su and then i mount the share with:
    sudo mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt/share -o sec=ntlmssp,uid=1000,gid=1000,user=username

uid and gid from your User.

With Kernelhave your Linux Server and Client.

At 3.8 samba switch the Auth method and you must set the sec.

regards
    ThomasDr

• Thanks.

The right way to use a Remote SMB Share in OMV is:

• define a remote mount;
    • define a shared folder using as "drive" the remote mount defined above;
    • give proper permissions for user to the shared folder created;

Is it right?
    Now I rebooted omv and I see the remote mount as "drive" selectable in new Share Folder view.

Before I made a mess mounting "things" manually, now I'm trying to use almost always the omv gui.
    But thanks for the suggestion about mounting points!

At 3.8 samba switch the Auth method and you must set the sec.

you mean that starting from samba 3.8 I cannot set username and password "inline" in the command but use sec file approach?

• you mean that starting from samba 3.8 I cannot set username and password "inline" in the command but use sec file approach?

Hello,

not the Samba Version, the Linux Kernel Version. The newer Kernel change the security and if you try to connect to a old Samba Server you got a Permission denied (13). The differend is only, if you not set the sec option the old kernel use sec=ntlm and the new sec=ntlmssp.

A good GUI for mounting is smb4k just like the Explorer Network section in Windows.

regards
    ThomasDr

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!