Synology DiskStation DS1515+

• Hello guys. I am new to this NAS build system, a very close friend of mine has recently purchased this system and was asking for a help with OpenMediaVault Installation.

Basically, I and my friend does not know more about OMV. So please feel free to guide us through.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't find any evidence that you can install another OS on this unit. If you can't install Debian on the unit, you can't install OMV.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't the original OS be replaced with OMV?

OMV isn't an OS. It is a package running on Debian. There is no prebuilt image or installer for this machine. So, you need to be able to install Debian on the machine

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can't the original OS be replaced with OMV? I need to ask him what he's running this machine on.

Most of the time, these machines use proprietary hardware and software. They are designed to run the manufacturer's OS and hacking it use something else will invalidate the guarantee.

• Basics first:
    Synology’s DSM (Synology’s custom-made OS, it’s awesome, most of the time), is actually a Linux kernel based OS. It lacks many packages that are considered as "standard default built-in packages" in common Linux distributions.
    It also have many Synology-made packages (and custom-made drivers). There are articles out there telling people how to install the "missing packages" to DSM and I knew a few guys who successfully "enhanced" their DSM in that way.

But that's that, I would be surprised if OP actually manages to get a full set of Debian packages running on DSM.
    Given that, without a fully functional Debian, there is no way to run OMV, I think OP you and your friend is done here.

If you want to build your own NAS and run OMV on it, you'd have to start from... picking up parts from computer DIY parts vendors.
    There are words around that you can install basically any Linux distribution on a QNAP NAS, but that's still too troublesome for me so I didn't look into it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!