Possible to migrate existing configurations onto a fresh install?

• I have a drive that I think is failing.
    I've built a new OMV install with a new drivce and it's just a default system.

I know there's not yet a config backup/restore function in OMV....but since I *do* have a copy of the existing drive and its contents...would it be possible to just copy certain config/xml files onto the new default system? Or not that simple?

OMV 2.2.13 (Stone burner) Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 omvextrasorg 1.34
    Case: U-NAS NSC-200 , Power Supply: picoPSU-80, 80w , Mainboard: ASRock C2550D4I , CPU: INTEL Atom Quad Core 2.40 Ghz , DDR3:Crucial 4GB (1x CT51272BD160B) , OS: SSD Crucial MX100 128 GB , DATA: 2x WD Red WD30EFRX - 3 TB RAID-1 , NIC: (2x INTEL i210) , USB: Vantec USB3 UGT-PC312 PCI-e

• Offizieller Beitrag

That could be a proposal for a new feature. I think a lot of OMV users would agree.

It actually was a feature of OMV 0.2. It was removed because it didn't work well with the current "database" system that OMV uses. It requires a significant rewrite to implement.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Okay...so, I'm looking for what I thought was to be a config.xml file. I found two. One is marked as a template, so not expecting anything to be in there. The other one though doesn't appear to have any of my configurations in it. I can't even find any of my user accounts in the xml file.

So.....where exactly should I be looking to find all of my existing settings (as far as a configuration file) ?

Case: U-NAS NSC-200 , Power Supply: picoPSU-80, 80w , Mainboard: ASRock C2550D4I , CPU: INTEL Atom Quad Core 2.40 Ghz , DDR3:Crucial 4GB (1x CT51272BD160B) , OS: SSD Crucial MX100 128 GB , DATA: 2x WD Red WD30EFRX - 3 TB RAID-1 , NIC: (2x INTEL i210) , USB: Vantec USB3 UGT-PC312 PCI-e

• Only file in that folder is: php.ini

Going to load up the system with the original hard if I can and check again.

[EDIT] Original drive has the config. Never mind.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ck42 ()

• Both are in there on the original drive.
    Looks like the original drive though starts failing after it has been powered up for....30 min, maybe?

Wondering...as far as a kludged restore (vs trying to clone the drive), which directories need to be copied to a default install to make it work?
    the reason I ask is that I've considered trying to clone the drive, but I'm not sure if the cloning process could complete in time before the drive starts failing again. (This is all in an attempt to avoid having to manually re-build the default system using the config.xml file)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously, cloning would work. If you use a utility like clonezilla, ignoring empty space, cloning wouldn't be any slower than a directory copy.
    If you think you have a heat related problem, you could put the drive in a static bag and refrigerate it for awhile, before you start. It might buy you some more time. (Just a thought.)

On the file and directory copy:
    Attempting manual partitioning, along with a batch of piece meal file and directory copies, may result in still more issues. (I'm thinking of incomplete or potentially corrupt file copies.)

You might want to consider installing OMV on, and booting from, a USB flash drive. Decent sized USB drives are reasonably priced these days, so you could have a fully configured system backup, cloned, on the cheap. (I've found this to be indispensabile if something goes wrong with boot media, something happens during an upgrade, etc.)
    With the flash plug-in installed, to reduce unnecessary writes, I'm finding that flash media lasts a long time. (BTW: It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the plugin with SSD's as well.)

Out of curiosity; is it the Crucial MX 100 SSD that's failing? How long did it last? Was it on 24x7?

• Zitat

It actually was a feature of OMV 0.2. It was removed because it didn't work well with the current "database" system that OMV uses. It requires a significant rewrite to implement.

I understand.
    Is there none option to only save the config file planned insteay of doing a full backup of OMV? In my opinion would this be enough. Just to have a config backup of the settings. In case of a new install the config can be uploaded and the main settings can be reloaded again.
    If you find a solution -> great!

Cheers Josh

• So looks like the cloning process went a lot faster than I thought. Only took about 3min.
    Had a spare drive around that was the exact same model/size.

Regarding the original drive though - Never updated my configuration signature. I had meant to install the MX100 originally, but there was a delay in getting it so I simply grabbed what I had laying around, which was a WD black 320GB 2.5" drive.
    I now have an SSD, but it's only 120GB. I've tried using the resizing function in several different utilities, but none work. The problem is the resizing of the partition. Gives an error when attempting to shrink.

In any case, a replacement drive is in place and everything is working again. Ultimately though, I'd like to migrate/clone this over to the SSD, but that's apparently a different issue I need to work out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since your situation sparked a bit of curiosity on my part, I put a question out for a moderator (or other forum Linux expert) regarding the boot drive performance question.

Herewith; The-type-of-boot-media-used

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think you're getting much of a performance edge in using an SSD, or even a spinning drive for that matter, as boot media. After boot up, I think the majority of OMV's working programs are in RAM so, after the boot process is complete, nothing much is gained by using an SSD. In my case, using a Raspberry PI, I can get to the Web log-in about 15 - 20 seconds after power on, and that's using an SD card as the boot / system media on a low powered platform.

A speedy CPU, a decent amount of RAM (4 gig or so), and a 1gig network interface would be good for running system performance but the boot drive is not much of a factor.

I mention this because it's dirt simple to image and / or clone USB drives, and they're cheap so you can maintain a few without breaking the bank. I have three perconfigured OMV boot drives (all SD cards), starting in 2.2.6 with a 1 TB data drive (I use this setup for backing up another file server) and 3.0.68 with a 4TB data drive (this is used for backing up the file server and for imaging a few clients) While it's working fine, 3.0.68 and UrBackup are still an experiment at this point.

We'll see what the forum community thinks about the above post, regarding the performance issue. On the other hand, I've found that having completely configured backup is real useful. I call them "punt positions". It's save me at least once (dead SD card) and allowed me to gracefully back out of an upgrade, that went wrong, on another occasion.

Since you just dodged a bullet, it's something to think about.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One of the forum moderators and plug-in programmer verified my suspicions, as outlined above.

- > The-type-of-boot-media-used(Fast boot media doesn't gain much in performance, if anything at all.)

You could use the SSD elsewhere, like a Windows or Linux desktop client, where there's a lot of OS IO, and get more bang for the buck. OMV will work fine on USB flash drives which, given the minimal expense for 16GB drives and ease of duplication, allows for multiple layers of backup.

Just food for thought.

Regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've tried using the resizing function in several different utilities, but none work. The problem is the resizing of the partition. Gives an error when attempting to shrink.

Have you tried GParted? It can be used via OMV (see OMV-Extras Menue in Kernel Tab)

• I've tried a GParted Live CD on a different computer, and I've also tried GParted on a Linux box. The only option I haven't tried is using GParted that is a boot load option on the OMV system. Somehow I doubt that it will operate any differently.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!