2.2.4: update to 2.2.12 or upgrade to 3.x? and is there a recomended procedure for NOT breaking OMV on that way?

• Hi Folks,

im still on a verry old version of 2.x. 2.2.4 to be exact. Back then I did an update and broke the system, since thene I have not installed any updates or upgrades, simply because everything was fine and working. And I didnt had the time to fix our server while I had so much else to do. I just followed the rule: dont touch a running system.

Code
    ii  openmediavault                     2.2.4                              all          Open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-downloader          2.1                                all          OpenMediaVault downloader plugin
    ii  openmediavault-extplorer           1.2                                all          OpenMediaVault eXtplorer plugin
    ii  openmediavault-forkeddaapd         2.0                                all          OpenMediaVault forked-daapd (DAAP server) plugin
    ii  openmediavault-keyring             0.4                                all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg        2.13.2                             all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-openvpn             1.1                                all          OpenVPN plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-remoteshare         1.1                                all          remote share plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-virtualbox          1.3                                all          VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.

Now, since OMV3 is rated stabel, Im not sure what to do. Upgrade to 2.2.12 or go to 3.x And is there a recomended procedure for updateing to the lates OMV2 vs OMV3?

What I need working is: VirtualBox, SSH and SMB, all other stuff is nice to have, but not needed for production.

On my machine are several VMs (Win7x64 and Debian Wheezy/MySQL4 and the current beta FreePBX 14/14). Also I have an DYNS Updater at work, and multible SSH file collection processes from several remote locations. As well as hosting a big buch of fiels for my companies.

So what to choose?

I konow this section of the Forum is basically for broken updates, but I thought I rather ask first, and avoid to have a broken OMV later on.

Do I upgrade via GUI Aktualisierungsverwaltung or do I upgrade via apt-get update && apt-get upgrade? Or should I first do a dist-upgrade?

I also suggest to pin a thread with a step by step how to for an update/upgrade to this section. Just to help us dummies to NOT breake our NAS and then consume lots of time of the experts for fixing stuff that would not be broken if done right the first time.

I gladly would document my update process here for others to follow, if I get a hint in what order to do which task.

Thanks
    Regards and Schöne Ostern
    Manne

• Offizieller Beitrag

Upgrading to 2.2.12 should be relatively risk-free. Upgrading to OMV 3.x on your system is going to be work. To start, extplorer does not exist on OMV 3.x. Next, remoteshare was not ported to OMV 3.x because it was re-written and called remotemount but has no upgrade path. Finally, the virtualbox plugin has changed a lot as well and it is recommended to uninstall before upgrading.

I also suggest to pin a thread with a step by step how to for an update/upgrade to this section.

Depending on the plugins you are using, omv-release-upgrade is all you need. But as I mentioned about your system, there are other items that need to be done. It would be very difficult to write a guide that works for everyone.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Thanks for your input.

I think I did unterstand what your statment meant for my situation: right now I go for .12 and while I got some spare time I rebuild my OMV with a free 2,5" HDD in OMV3 and with a bunch of old HDDs and then after the new OMV3 prooved to work ilL integrate my old raid.

So how do I go from 2.2.4 to 2.2.12?

Code
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

this way?

Manne

• I've never ever got the cli upgrade to work.

Always ends up trashing the previous install. 3 times on 3 different systems.!!
    Now I have to do a clean install onto my spare boot drive and reinstall/reset everything manually. Takes ages but it does work.

• turns out, for me it was lik you steeley: that an upgrad via WebUI or CLI left me with a broken system, wont finish booting. I dindt invest into troubleshooting. (later discovered that the omv3 does have a total different tree on the os-disc, so it might was a good idea to do a clean install)

I did go back to OMV2 Kernel in GRUB, booting up, everything was fine again, so this WE I did pull my 5TB Data off the Machine and after testing last week on an old Server Test Enviroment (and by that test i managed to kill my last copy of my privat ssh root key to my hetzner host, I seriously considered kicking my own but, at least for a few seconds, then I opend a beer), I did set up OMV3 and am currently pushing my data back onto it.

Im just left with a few funny things:

1.: I activated home dirs for the useres, and pointed it to a created share "homes" on the data drive

then activated SMB and told it to export home dir. now on SMB I see 2 identical dir one named like the user, one named homes

I would have expected to see only the "named like user" dir, because I usually also export homes so that teams could acces the home of the other guy next machine for files if someone is on leave or sick.

what did I do wrong here?

and if I set some symlinks, I cant follwo them in SMB while they work in putty. so google found this one
    Using sym links in samba
    but I would supect that placing those entries into the extennded SMB conf in the WebUI would be the apropriate way to do this? either in the global or in the single share section. no?

edit

so the user/homes thing is, it seems a funny OMV thing. I just uses the "username" now. a bit uncomforting, but that way I have only SMB exporting the users dir for the current authenticated user.

the sym links do work in samba if the settings from the link above is set in the WebUI smb section in the lowest entry box either for each respecitve smb share or, in my case due to the the exported users, in the global settings.

cheers
    also sometimes OMV is a bit quirky, I realy like this NAS system. it works out of the box almost perfect. Its maintained. i love it. thanks Volker and all the rest of the maintainers and devs.

I also am able to confirm, that on the same hardware, the NAS is now faster. Also all the VMs are much faster.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mannebk () aus folgendem Grund: extensions

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!