Extreme slow Networkspeed

• Hello Guys!

I am using OMV 2.2.13 with Kernel "Linux 4.4.13-v7+" on an Raspberry Pi 3 B. My Computer have Windows 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1066

Since Friday i only have a network speed under 100KB/s and thats really slow :P Before Friday I had an Speed about 1MB/s which was ok because I have only an 100MB Connection.

Sometimes when I am trying to copy a File, the "Copy-Window" from Win 10 breaks down and i lost the Connection. (But i can open the Server in Explorer)

I have tried this Post "http://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/17673-network-problem/" but it didnt help me.

Have you got furture ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two samba tuning threads on this forum. Try those and report back.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello!

Thanks for your reply.

I have done these two Threads now and a full Network reset on Win10 now.

The speed is now at 300kb/s for the first 30 seconds, then a drop to 0kb/s and after this drop it goes up to 30kb/s until the Copy Window gets freeze again.

Best regards!

#EDIT:

I have on this Nas two Share-Folders. The First called "Daten" for Files who have this Problems i wrote above. The second "Medien" have a Networkspeed between 100kb/s and 450 kb/s but without these Drops and Freezes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you set min and max protocol?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I have put this in the Options at the Samba Tab:

Code
    min protocol = SMB2
    max protocol = SMB2
    max xmit = 65535
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=65535 SO_RCVBUF=65535
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes
    max connections = 65535
    max open files = 65535

Now I get this on Win 10 when I am trying to transfer files :

Code
    Fehler 0x8007003B: Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler

I dont get it why this slow traffic speed happens only since Friday? I havent change anything...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont get it why this slow traffic speed happens only since Friday? I havent change anything...

No idea. I don't have to put any parameters in my extra options box to get full speed with Windows 10. Not sure why some people need to. Is wireless involved anywhere? Have you updated OMV and/or Windows? I wouldn't set min and max protocol to the same thing. Did you try smb3?

• I have got an Win 10 Update, but this was yesterday or today morning.

No, i have from my PC a Ethernet Cat 6 to my Router and then a Ethernet Cat6 from the router to the NAS.

I have also tried new Cables because i thought one is dead...

I have really no idea why this is struggling now :(

I will try smb3 now.

Thank you for Support!

#EDIT

I have tried smb3 now. At beginning it starts with 500kb/s up to 1000 kb/s but then it frezzes at 11,1kb/s after that "Freeze" it ends at 0kb/s (Picture1) and after 30 Seconds The Copy freezes Complete (Picture2). I am starting to think its an Win Problem.

• Hi

Try to copy a smaller amount of Images. I see you want to copy 24GB to the NAS Share. You might wait longer until windows start to send the data to the NAS.

Try to copy first 200MB to the share and give a feedback. Does the same happen?

• I have already turned it off and try to copy files, but this is not the problem.

The transfer time doesnt speed up.

#EDIT

Sorry I have seen your first post now.

24GB is nothing. Bevore friday i already transfered 500GB of Data from this PC on the NAS without a Problem. All these Data were big, and lot of them were small like these Photos.

It´s clear that a copy/write speed is slower with a lot of small files like Photos, but it had already worked with these files.

And for the problem:

It´s indifferent if you copy 1GB or 1MB it´s happend at the first KB´s . I have an "Testfile" next to the pictures too.

This files is 500MB "big" and contains one pic, one movie, one textfile and nothing going to the nas. The NAS only shows the Folder and the files, but you cant open it from the NAS

• How is your network connected? Did you change somewhat in between?
    Did you restart more than once the NAS and test again?

I would propose to open the Debian shell and start a tcpdump to see what happens when you try to copy. Start the tcpdump filtering the ip of your windows client and the SMB Ports.
    Do the same with wireshark on your windows client.

• Hello Joshua,

as written above it´s all wired with Cat6 Ethernet. Of course I started the NAS more than one time. I also tried in the meantime an Samba-Server on Rasbian without OMV, but there is also the same effect.

Thats why i am thinking that the "Problem maker" isnt the Nas, it´s the Client (Win 10) maybe an worth update?

Dont forget: It had already worked fine with an good speed!

• Same here. Windows 10 to a fresh installed OMV3. Starts with 100 MB/s, breaks down to 10 MB/s. Load rises high on OMW, lots of Wait I/O.
    But: Crosschecked to the same NAS with the same file (4 GB ISO), but with MacOS...same behaviour.

Tested with and without changes to smb.conf, doesn´t matter.

I have no clue ;(

@home, with my productive NAS, all the same X(

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Hi

I use Win10 as well as Win7 without having that kind of problems you tell. Maybe a setup of your network settings on Windows. It's hard to give you an hint without having more infos about.

Do you habe the possibility to enable Jumbo frames on your Router/Switch? Maybe this helps.

Cheers Josh

• Tested @home:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
    Running warmup...
    Running a 400MB file write on U: 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 18,05 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 19,10 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 21,00 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 21,66 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 20,63 MB/sec
    -----------------------------
    Average (W): 20,09 MB/sec
    Running a 400MB file read on U: 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 106,86 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 115,95 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 117,94 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 115,78 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 113,25 MB/sec
    Average (R): 113,96 MB/sec

The lousy write speed leads to fu$%&/(ing high I/O wait. And the load rises to 8 and higher. Thats not normal and I think, its there since my upgrade to 3.x

Anyone else?

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

• Tested @home:

NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
    Input invalid. Check drive letter or network path, file size and loops.
    Running warmup...
    Running a 1000MB file write on \\SERVER\Download 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 116,35 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 109,02 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 113,27 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 113,87 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 109,96 MB/sec
    Average (W): 112,49 MB/sec
    Running a 1000MB file read on \\SERVER\Download 5 times...
    Iteration 1: 114,89 MB/sec
    Iteration 2: 114,69 MB/sec
    Iteration 3: 114,69 MB/sec
    Iteration 4: 114,48 MB/sec
    Iteration 5: 114,07 MB/sec
    Average (R): 114,56 MB/sec

System see signature, So I do not think of OMV 3.x

PC: CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WIFI | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB Kit DDR5-6000 CL30 EXPO | KFA² GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall Of Fame, 11GB GDDR5X | 1x Crucial P5 Plus 500GB SSD M.2 | 1x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB SSD M.2B | Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit

• So...dumped everything, got new 3 TB drive, installed Erasmus fresh...testing speed...as mentioned above, really bad.
    Dumped again, installed Stone Burner...speed is fine :D

Maybe smbd is f*cked up in i386 only?

I stay here as long as someone with i386 can confirm good speed with Erasmus...

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I created an i386 OMV 3.x VM and enabled samba with no extra options. Writing a large file from a Windows 10 VM to the i386 OMV VM hit almost 400 MB/s (fast ssd in server :) ). So, I don't think it is i386 samba.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!