[GUIDE] Syncthing -- Installation and Usage

• Please note that this guide is based on OMV 3.0.70 and Syncthing 3.9 and the settings I used(Syncthing can do way more stuff but I don't need it at the moment). If you are using a different version of OMV or the Syncthing plugin your menu structure might be slightly different. Also be aware that OMV 3.X is still under development!

Requirements

- OMV 3.X
    - OMV-Extras.org Plugin
    - Windows / MacOS client for Syncthing

Description

The "Syncthing" plugin replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet. (Quote from https://syncthing.net)
    For me its the best plugin to synchronize files to all devices connected to my server. If you go abroad, edit some documents and come home all devices will get the new version in no time. You can activate a versioning option as well to keep all the old stuff for a certain amount of time(explained below)

Installation

Follow these steps to install and pre-config the Syncthing plugin:
    1.) Install and activate the "omv-extras.org" plugin as written in the thread mentioned above
    2.) Choose the Syncthing plugin (System -> Plugins -> Backup -> openmediavault-syncthing X.X), install and activate it
    3.) Click on the Syncthing menu link on the left and choose "Add"

Define a user and in case you would like to access the WebGUI from another computer within the network change "127.0.0.1" to "0.0.0.0". (normally you don't have to change the GUI port but feel free to do so :) )

Add.JPG

4.) Install the client on your local machine (see requirements)

General settings / Add a synchronized folder / Advanced folder settings

General settings
    You can access the WebGUI by using the IP from OMV and add the port (i.e. :8384). First at all I recommend to create a specific WebGUI user to prevent anyone else from access the WebGUI. To do so click on Actions on the upper right Corner and choose "settings"

Settings.JPG

Define a "GUI Authentication User" and "GUI Authentication Password" -- if you clear the cache and reload the WebGUI you should be asked for a username and a password. All the other options I kept default (except the "Dark Theme"). If you open "Actions" again you will find "Show ID". In case you want to synchronize a mobile device (Android app is available - not tested yet) there is a QR code to simplify the connection process. There are more settings but I did not checked them yet. Before we start and add a folder we have to add a remote device you want to share the data with. Click on "Add Remote Device" on the bottom right

Device.JPG

The necessary "Device ID" you can find within the local client (the Windows client has the same interface). Please define a "Device Name" as it makes things easier! :) (If you did not add any Folders yet the "Share Folders with Devices" part might be empty!)
    That's it, let's go to the next step

Add a synchronized folder
    This is pretty easy, click on "Add Folder" and fill in the information:

Add folder.JPG

The "Folder ID" is an identification string but you don't have to write it down. (If you did not add any other devices yet the "Share with Devices" part might be empty!) After clicking on "Save" the local client should now come up with a message

Add folder 2.JPG

If you click on "Add" you can add the information explained above (as you see, the client will automatically set the "Folder ID" correctly. If you have done this, Syncthing should synchronize the folder within 60 seconds (default value). For example, my local client looks like this

Windows Client.JPG

Advanced folder settings
    You might have noticed the "Advanced settings" section on the "Add folder" panel. These settings are folder specific! (i.e. settings I make within the WebGUI are only valid for the OMV folder and you have to set this stuff for every folder again). Most of them are self-explanatory, just want to mention the "Versioning" stuff as I find it very useful. I set up a "Versioning" option on my OMV folder "Documents" (Trash Can File Versioning) to prevent documents from beeing deleted accidentally. So let's say I deleted a file on my notebook and I don't get it (empty the trash can as well) the file will be moved to a hidden folder called ".stversions" within the documents folder on the server (remember changes are synchronised all 60 seconds by default). After XX days (can be set individually) the file will be deleted on my server but until then I am able to recover it

Versioning.JPG

If you want more information about this please check this link

Questions / Problems / Discussions
    There is no discussion thread right now but feel free to create one! You can also visit Syncthings's documentation to get more detailed information. In case I missed something important please drop me a line.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!