SOLVED One External USB 8TB Hard Drive

• I have been looking around to see if I can only add one 8TB hard Drive to my Open Media Vault.

I have installed the software onto a Raspberry PI 3 and I have started to configure it, but when I try and create a share, I have discovered that it can't see no mount devices, so
    I have gone to the File system, and formatted the drive /dev/sda1 with a type of ext4,
    it take about 3 hours to format, all the time showing me this

5961753184/5961753207/5961753232/5961753255/5961753278/5961753300/5961753321/59617

finishing with

done
    Creating journal (32768 blocks): done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: 0/59617 26/59617 82/59617 126/59617 244/59617 344/59617 6562/59617 done
    The file system creation has completed successfully.

I did try the RAID management, but as I only have the one Hard Drive at the moment, I didn't see the option for a single HD

but when I refresh the page all I am seeing is

the device path as /dev/sda1 the label , the file type and that it is status is online. and all other information is n/a or

and when I try to mount it I am getting this error
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'

Error #0: exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/sda1' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(725): OMV\System\Process->execute() #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(856): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem->mount() #2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->mount(Array, Array) #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('mount', Array, Array) #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'mount', Array, Array, 1) #6 {main}

can someone please information me on were I am going wrong, and on how I can get Open Media Vault to see my HD.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Update: is there a limit to the max size of a external hard drive

With older PC hardware, there might be BIOS issues with an 8TB drive.

Where a PI is concerned, I don't know (if there's a size limit). However, I've been running a 4TB WD "My Passport" (a USB powered 2.5" drive) with no issues whatsoever. Given its' size, I'm guessing you're running a Seagate "Shingled" 8TB external.

While I'm not sure if it would make a difference, have you tried using GParted to partition and format the drive? What I'm getting at is:

- Plug your 8TB drive into a reasonably modern Intel box and make sure you see the drive (if you do, there shouldn't be any BIOS issues).
    - With the external drive still connected the the PC, boot the box up on a current Gparted ISO disk. - > Gparted Download
    - First, you could try formatting it ext4 (or whatever you like) as an 8TB. Plug it into the PI, boot the PI, and try to mount the drive as a single large partition. If that doesn't work.
    - Second, partition the drive into 2 each, 4TB partitions. Format it, etc., and see if the PI will take the 4TB partitions.

Again, my set up is working fine so I know a 4TB external drive on a PI is not a problem. Perhaps 2 each 4TB partitions may work as well.

• ok, I think why this didn't work, as I have changed two things and got the system to see the full 8TB.

the first is that I have gone back and install a early version of the OMV for the Raspberry PI 3 omv_2.2.5_rpi2_rpi3.img.gz
    the second is that I formatted the 8TB first on a different Linux machine, and this allowed the Raspberry OMV to see the fully size.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok, I think why this didn't work, as I have changed two things and got the system to see the full 8TB.

the first is that I have gone back and install a early version of the OMV for the Raspberry PI 3 omv_2.2.5_rpi2_rpi3.img.gz
    the second is that I formatted the 8TB first on a different Linux machine, and this allowed the Raspberry OMV to see the fully size.

Since you know that the PI will recognize an 8TB, I suspect OMV 3.x would work with the 8TB drive as well. If you have a second SD card, you could try a 3.X image with the formatted 8TB while keeping your working 2.2.5 image off to the side.

(I mention this because OMV 3.x will be the actively maintained distro soon. Development of 2.x is, for all practical purposes, finished.)

In any case, all's well that ends well.

BTW: If you don't have heat sinks on your PI 3, you might want to think about getting them. During sustained file copies, to an 8TB drive, the PI 3 processor is going to get real HOT. (R-PI 3's, with the faster CPU, gets substantially hotter than an R-PI 2.) If it gets hot enough, the CPU will lockup until it cools.

Take a look at the following.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html…+heatsink+copper&_sacat=0
    While you might be waiting awhile to get them, it's hard to go wrong spending an extra $1 or $2.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!