Installation of GNU screen window manager in OMV3?

• Hi,

I want to use screen as a terminal window manager in OMV. Could someone instruct me how to install? I tried to search in the forum and I got a lot of results regarding the word 'screen'. But nothing seems to be related to the screen utility. I couldn´t believe that no one is using it.

Thanks in advance.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get install screen

I use it on every Linux system I login to :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• frankly I still wonder why it is not just be included in default install on all Linux setups.
    it is very useful and available in all default repos. why the need for the extra step.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

it is very useful and available in all default repos. why the need for the extra step.

You can file a feature request to have Volker add it to the base install. I guess I could make it a dependency of omv-extras as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• hi ,ryecoaaron
    I did not ment making it a part of OMV install, although it would be a nice addition,
    I meant it why it is not a part of any/every Linux distro default setup.
    I mean screen adds a very useful ability to the environment in general, and can also help anyone managing the setup remotely. it should be there when you SSH into the box by default hence it should be installed as part of initial setup, as part of the distro it self. it is 30 years old, it should be part of the kernel by now :)

• I guess I could make it a dependency of omv-extras as well.

in relation to my previous post, I think it should be a dependency when installing SSH.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some people don't like screen and use tmux. That argument is probably why neither is included by default.

• well, i heard about screen, never heard about tmux until today.
    besides, I would take a 30 yo well designed soft over 9yo anytime, providing it have been maintained properly.
    and it seems to me that Screen have been maintained properly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At least with the people I work with, the younger people like tmux and the older people like screen. I guess I am old since I prefer screen :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why should it be included if you can install it manually if needed? Those users that want to use it knew how to install it.

If you are managing a lot of boxes, it is nice to not have to install things when you just expect it to be there. If you just have one or two boxes, install it :) It does only use 930K of disk space though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you are managing a lot of boxes, it is nice to not have to install things when you just expect it to be there. If you just have one or two boxes, install it :) It does only use 930K of disk space though.

You're right, it requires time to prepare your system, but such a tool is not essential to run OMV, either when it does not require too much disk space.

• Thank you guys for all your response.
    I could install screen and it works like desired.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!