Downloader plugin - How to control file format with youtube dl (.mp4 instead of .webm)?

• Hi guys,

I am using the Downloader plugin for the first time and did several tries to download some videos with the youtube-dl.

Although I gave the filename the extension '.mp4', some files were downloaded as '.webm' file and not as '.mp4'. Also it seems the .webm files are much bigger then .mp4.

But I know there are other (web) tools which allows to set the resoluton and the file type of a youtube download

Is something similar possible in the Downloader plugin?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is something similar possible in the Downloader plugin?

Not sure if every video has a mp4 uploaded. There is a way to list all available formats with youtube-dl but I haven't done it a long time. If you figure out what the command line options are, I could modify the plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you figure out what the command line options are, I could modify the plugin.

Hello @ryecoaaron, thank you for your response. I did some research about the command line options of the youtube-dl. Most of the information I found here: https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/youtube-dl/
    Unfortunately this site is in German language.

youtube-dl -F YOUTUBE_URL returns a list of available video- and audio-formats, each with a certain format code.
    Example:

A certain video/audio format can be downloaded by
    youtube-dl -f FORMAT_CODE YOUTUBE_URL, eg.
     youtube-dl -f 22 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8, which in this case is mp4 1280x720 hd720 , avc1.64001F, mp4a.40.2@192k.
    The problem is that the format codes are different for any of the videos.

There is an option in youtube-dl to always download the best audio and best video format:
    youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio YOUTUBE_URL

I think this is the default setting in the Downloader plugin. Maybe therefore the .webm format is loaded although a .mp4 file extension is added to the file name.

There is another option to be independant of any format code and load the best audio and video format for a certain file format nevertheless:
     youtube-dl -f bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a] YOUTUBE_URL
    That means: Load the best mp4-video format with the best m4a-audio format. Then a separate video and audio file are downloaded and afterwards merged with ffmpeg at the end. The original files then are deleted.

I discovered one drawback: It is necessary to define a video AND an audio format together. I tried it with [ext=mp4] only. In this case an .mkv file was created with video only and no audio.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Maybe an option could be added to select the desired video and audio format.

If you think about enhancing the downloader plugin may I express a second request?
    Is there any possibility to download more than one file at a time without using a playlist? Maybe there could be another plugin enhancement to be able to define a list of URLs in the plugin instead of the playlist and in this case using the default name which is provided by the youtube-dl, instead of defining a name in the Filename field. Just an idea.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the info. That should make it easy to modify.

Is there any possibility to download more than one file at a time without using a playlist?

I've actually wanted this myself but never looked into it. I will look at ways to do this.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you think about enhancing the downloader plugin may I express a second request?

New version in repo. You can download multiple urls in one request now.

• omv-downloader plugin 3.5
    Hi @ryecoaaron, the new plugin version is great! Many thanks for that.

I think during playing with it, I may have found two very small bugs or inconsistencies. If you have added a multiple download and then try to edit it afterwards you get this window, where the Download type "multiple" is selected.

If you then open the dropdown dialog you get a list only with aria2, curl and youtube-dl. If you ever change to one of them, you never can select 'multiple' again, because it´s missing in the list.

And the second case is if Download Type 'multiple' is selected, the line 'Filename' doesn´t make quite sense. I would suggest to hide it.

Greetings
    cabrio_leo

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fixed in 3.6. It was opening the wrong window for editing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!