NAS + HTPC possible?

• So I always build myself custom PCs, and recently put together a personal fourth-generation HTPC system for myself based on the MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 motherboard (http://us.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A75IA-E53.html) and AMD A10-5700 (http://shop.amd.com/US/All/Detail/Processor/AD5700OKHJBOX) Trinity CPU-GPU. It runs Linux Mint with Plex and XBMC well. I have a NAS, but it's old (2007 Synology) and only two bays, so my thought is why not retire the Synology, move the drives to the HTPC, and have it be a combined HTPC-NAS? There are products like this already, such as the QNAP TS-469L-US (http://www.qnap.com/useng/inde…=355&sc=688&t=695&n=13448), but while the QNAP can run XBMC and I think Plex server as well, it doesn't have enough CPU horsepower to do the realtime transcoding of 1080p material that the A10-5700 can (and I already have the A10-5700).

Can I install OpenMediaVault on my HTPC (replacing Linux Mint), set up Xfce, the proprietary AMD drivers, XMBC, and Plex and do it all?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. You would be better off to install Debian Squeeze with desktop then OMV (link) and XBMC.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Yes. You would be better off to install Debian Squeeze with desktop then OMV (link) and XBMC.

Excellent, glad to hear this should work. Thanks for the link to that post... any reason I couldn't add OMV to my existing Linux Mint 14 install (which is Debian based)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, mint 14 is Ubuntu based and too new. Even Debian Mint is based off Wheezy and wouldn't work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Sorry, mint 14 is Ubuntu based and too new. Even Debian Mint is based off Wheezy and wouldn't work.

Ok, good to know... it may put me in a catch-22 situation if Squeeze isn't cutting edge enough for the ATIProprietary drivers I need to run to take advantage of the AMD A10-5700 and it's Radeon HD 7660D GPU, but I'm willing to compile kernel modules and do everything I can to see if I can make it all work.

• Zitat von "ruans"

Squeeze is working with ATIProprietary drivers, but you need update the kernel to 3.2 first

The A10-5700 CPU-GPU with the Radeon HD 7660D is too new for Squeeze, even with the 3.2 kernel and backports, which only gets you the Catalyst 12.3 drivers right now, which came out 3/28/2012 (over a year ago!) and which are too old to support the 7660D. I tried, they don't work...

Looks like I'll have to try installing the downloaded binary drivers straight from AMD...

• Offizieller Beitrag

If that doesn't work, installing on Debian Wheezy seems to be working now (can't guarantee how stable it is). Look here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!