OMV a solution?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well all up...2 raids, a few shares created, all I have to do is to copy the files back....I'm impressed....even the case looks tidy complete with Xeon :D install Emby reconfigure the Pi and were done, then just the cardboard and duct tape ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The UK? Well,,, I don't know,, Is there a Wal-Mart over there?

Wait,,, do u'all have "duck" tape over there?

(Without cardboard, duck tape, bubble gum, popsicle sticks and baling wire,, you know,, "proper construction materials",, I couldn't live there...) :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know,, Is there a Wal-Mart over there?

Well sort of....Walmart bought out a supermarket chain Asda....but not quite the same.....I have been in a Wal-Mart each time I have over the pond, that's because the wife has some friends there and when we go over it's not the norm of a break, this year we're getting the visit.

We don't have "duck" tape old chap, we have 'duct' tape....but in a nutshell it's the same stuff.... :D:D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I learned recently that soft boiled eggs are unheard-of in the Americas, which is why you don't have egg cups.
    This is how the civilized world eats eggs:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/sit…a/cs-soft-boiled-eggs.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-A520F en utilisant Tapatalk

'Dippy Eggs' with soldiers of toast :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I learned recently that soft boiled eggs are unheard-of in the Americas, which is why you don't have egg cups.
    This is how the civilized world eats eggs:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/sit…a/cs-soft-boiled-eggs.jpg

- Eggcup - You know, there's nothing like that at McDonalds, and I thought they were the authority on breakfast items!

Well, you know, we were a colony and it takes a while to,, umm,, "civilize". I guess real civilization might take a bit longer here, when compared to the rest of the world.... (I'm going to blame the Brit's for that.) ^^

• Offizieller Beitrag

When we boil an egg on this side of the pond, it doesn't come out that way. (Maybe it's cooking temperature, the distance, cloud cover or something? :- ) What I saw in the Eggcup -, looked a bit on the raw side. Therefore, many of us on this side of the pond would call that a "raw egg". I used to eat them completely raw in my teens, but those days are long over.

On the colony thing (geaves), you can't get off that easy. When anything goes wrong in the colony, Britain is responsible. After all, you started it! We can't help it if you didn't raise us right.

When I was in India (New Delhi), during their Indian independence day, I'd have a beer after work. I used to threaten the Indian Bar Keep; "I'm going to the British Embassy to protest! - Come back! - we need someone to run this place!"

(Pat, the Bar Keeper was a really good guy. It was all in good fun.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

With a little repartitioning using GParted it is possible to use the disk that OMV is installed on as storage space. I do it.

That was something I did on my last setup only because I had a spare HDD which was way too large for just the os, OMV runs on a flash drive so I have no problem leaving that to the os only.

• That was something I did on my last setup only because I had a spare HDD which was way too large for just the os,

That's the case for me. I didn't like the idea of a 500gb drive getting wasted on OMV. I still don't have much on the drive, but I can use it if I want to.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the case for me. I didn't like the idea of a 500gb drive getting wasted on OMV. I still don't have much on the drive, but I can use it if I want to.

Folks are spending big bucks on SSD's for the OMV boot drive!! After the server boots, nearly all of OMV (the NAS stuff) is in memory. At that point, after boot up, there's little to no difference in performance between fast or slow boot media. And let's be realistic - even with a programmed (once a week) maintenance reboot, who cares if the boot time is 2 minutes or 30 seconds?

I'm building a new server and I'm dedicating a whole 16GB USB3.0 thumbdrive to OMV, as a boot drive. ($14 USD!) If everything (plugins and the like) is properly configured, there are very few good reasons to use anything larger.

• Well, I prefer small SSDs over HDD or USB thumbdrives as boot media. SSDs are more energy efficient as HDDs and show less boot problems as USB drives ... I spent 28 bucks on an 32 GB SSD on sale ... not that much more as your USB drive.

Disadvantage: I have to sacifice a SATA port.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

• I'm building a new server and I'm dedicating a whole 16GB USB3.0 thumbdrive to OMV, as a boot drive. ($14 USD!) If everything (plugins and the like) is properly configured, there are very few good reasons to use anything larger.

Well the hard drive that I'm using for my OMV server was not purchased specifically for use with OMV. It was a hard drive from another computer that I upgraded to an SSD, so I reused the hard drive for OMV instead of buying a separate drive for OMV after I decided to switch from a Raspberry Pi. I would have been fine with continuing to use the Pi if it weren't for the fact that I wanted gigabit speeds.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was a hard drive from another computer that I upgraded to an SSD, so I reused the hard drive for OMV instead of buying a separate drive for OMV after I decided to switch from a Raspberry Pi. I would have been fine with continuing to use the Pi if it weren't for the fact that I wanted gigabit speeds.

(I got a detail in my post above wrong. It's not a 16GB USB drive. It's 32GB. While it's not really needed, that's extra room for temp and log files.)

"Reusing" is good. My first experiments with OMV started with a Raspberry PI that I wasn't using, an 8GB SD card, and a used 1TB drive that was laying around. Now, with a 4TB drive for data, that experiment evolved into a full server and data backup.

On the other hand, like you, I needed a 1G network interface mostly for imagining clients. The PI will do it, but at 100mbs it's too slow to do more than one client at time. (And even at that, it's still like watching grass grow.) The PI will serve files just fine, but it's limited beyond that particular function.

I'm building an i3 server right now. Man, so far, this rig is flying! When one is used to an R-PI, an i3 with 12GB ram feels like WARP speed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I prefer small SSDs over HDD or USB thumbdrives as boot media. SSDs are more energy efficient as HDDs and show less boot problems as USB drives ... I spent 28 bucks on an 32 GB SSD on sale ... not that much more as your USB drive.

Disadvantage: I have to sacifice a SATA port.

You know, I've been booting with flash media (SD cards) for a few years now and I had one (1) problem. That was early on and I suspect it was because I wasn't using the wear leveling plug in. (I learned a lesson in that event.) After that, again with the flash media plugin installed, there hasn't be one problem. Along other lines, it's super easy to clone a flash drive of any type. And given the minimal cost, I have a spare ready to go.

But, you're right - there's nothing wrong with a $28 SSD. Where do you get 32GB SSD's? (For my info, are you using the flash media plugin?)

• I don't use the flash media plugin since it is for USB drives. I use Transcend SSD370 as OS drive, works like a charm. My ITX-Board offers 4 SATA ports, I use 1 for SSD, 3 for 6 TB Reds in Raid 5.

Backup 2x 3 TB WD Essential. I skip music and movies in backup. Not important enough ...

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!