The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still haven't worked out why my particular Emby install has a problem with music media. Again, why I hit play, the song is over (less than a second). When I play a mix, the titles flow by at speed as if songs where 1 second long. I haven't had time to mess around with it but it's definitely strange. (It probably has something to do with the way I'm trying to play files from a remote net location.) In any case.

I had that if I attempted to play music locally say through Chrome....I ended up removing Emby and reinstalling and that solved the problem...TBH I've never found Emby that great to play music from, hence with the latest Pi installed with Kodi I have pointed Kodi to the SMB music share, this works seamlessly and it shuffles :) I have a PS3 which also works well for playing music, it picks up the share on Emby via dlna.

EmbyCon? Frankly, I wouldn't even be interested in a media player / manager if it didn't do music. Video is OK but, after a movie is seen a few times, it becomes old news. In my view, TV shows have an even shorter lifespan. (I'll exempt the various Star Trek series' episodes from the general rule. ) On the other hand, and with a bit of variety, I'll listen to my favorite music tracks more than a few times.

I'm the same, but Emby has proved to be a useful way of coordinating everything and it's centrally managed.....I like to watch an old movie occasionally particularly if what's on TV is a load of rubbish.

On the Rsync thing: (This assumes that you'll continue to use the R-PI is a backup "file server".)
    I noticed when I Rsync shares (when new files or changes are copied over) that permissions are reset, at the destination, to the default create mask. root:root.

I have to re look at this, things seem to have settled down a little and I've got some time to go back over what you posted, but all in all I'm happy that Pi2 is proving what I hoped it would.

I read the article and, I have to say, it's interesting. Since I have more than a few unused hard drives laying around, I might build the media server as project.

Good, must admit it caught my interest, I've got some drives but I got rid of the 2 server cases :( the Intel one would have been ideal to give it a try, both from the article and from using omv to do the same.

In other topics - awhile back you said something about "crossing a line" to vote against Theresa May?

I take it you are (were) a Tory? So what's your, um,, beef with the PM?

I don't like the woman...neither do I trust her....I have voted Tory since I could vote and the last election was the first time I did not vote Tory....Cameron ran away when he lost EU vote, that's just not cricket!! Just because you lost some of toys doesn't mean you should push the pram into the first ditch you find!!
    I admire Nicola Sturgeon but she's all me me me.....she could be a Scottish Thatcher hahahaha that wouldn't go down well either.

What we need is a billionaire actor who thinks twitter is his personal messaging service...now I wonder who that could be a clone of :)

Donald Schwarzenegger rides again...'I'll be back' :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't like the woman...neither do I trust her....I have voted Tory since I could vote and the last election was the first time I did not vote Tory....Cameron ran away when he lost EU vote, that's just not cricket!! Just because you lost some of toys doesn't mean you should push the pram into the first ditch you findI admire Nicola Sturgeon but she's all me me me.....she could be a Scottish Thatcher hahahaha that wouldn't go down well either.

What we need is a billionaire actor who thinks twitter is his personal messaging service...now I wonder who that could be a clone of :)

Donald Schwarzenegger rides again...'I'll be back' :)

Is there any particular reason why you don't trust her? Would it have anything to do with the dutch boy looking hair style? :rolleyes: Still, she has an honest (if stern looking), face!

((Thought Cloud: Geaves, you didn't vote for me,,, you've been a naughty boy... ))

I had the same sort of visceral reaction to Hillary Clinton. I actually met her back in the day, when she was Bill's first bimbo, at the US Embassy in India. (And note, with just a few minutes of first hand exposure, I'm fairly accurate in an assessment of character.) What I got from her, as she was shaking hands with a phony smile was; "What an inconvenience,, but one must do this for the little people..." As it turned out in the fullness of time, I wasn't wrong.

I don't know what Cameron thought about the EU vote but I imagine the outcome had nothing to with him, personally, or his influence in his party. (However, he wouldn't know that. Really, all of those people live in a bubble.)

I think the current state of affairs in several nations has everything to do with citizens' frustration with their governments giving preferential treatment to non-citizens and handing out unwarranted advantages to other nations, again, at the expense of their own citizens. A governments function, its very first responsibility, is to it's own citizens. This is fundamental. It's been that way back into the dim mists of recorded history,, until just recently. I think the average man (the makers who actually pay more in taxes than they take from the system) has had enough and is beginning to push back in the form of "the vote". Unfortunately, the effects of these vote/protests are far from over and I think the worst has yet to come.
    (These issues are why I think it was possible for someone like Trump to get elected but one would have to give Hillary credit as well. She did a LOT to help him get elected.)

I'd have to give Trump a few points for what he's done so far. First he's far from eloquent, but that's what allows for his "bull in a china shop" approach. He's tearing down the status quo. The folks in Washington are not happy and are taking note. That's a good thing because at least it's different and what was happening before was going nowhere.

In the bottom line, however, I don't believe he'll do much of real significance. The actual change will come after the next financial meltdown which, as we're currently passing the point of no return, isn't very far down the road. (And I do believe, in the journey to the financial bottom, the UK and the rest of the EU will be joining the US.) At that point, well after it's too late, true conservatism will rise again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the current state of affairs in several nations has everything to do with citizens' frustration with their governments giving preferential treatment to non-citizens and handing out unwarranted advantages to other nations, again, at the expense of their own citizens. A governments function, its very first responsibility, is to it's own citizens. This is fundamental. It's been that way back into the dim mists of recorded history,, until just recently. I think the average man (the makers who actually pay more in taxes than they take from the system) has had enough and is beginning to push back in the form of "the vote". Unfortunately, the effects of these vote/protests are far from over and I think the worst has yet to come.
    (These issues are why I think it was possible for someone like Trump to get elected but one would have to give Hillary credit as well. She did a LOT to help him get elected.)

You're probably right. what politicians say during an election campaign and what they do when elected are two very different things. I liked Cameron especially as far as the EU was concerned....change it from the inside is a better choice than leaving without having a definitive plan.

I agree with what you say about Trump, he could be a 'breath of fresh air' he just needs to engage his brain before his mouth or his fingers, it will be interesting to see what he can achieve during his office, but I just can't see him getting elected for a second term.

The actual change will come after the next financial meltdown which, as we're currently passing the point of no return, isn't very far down the road.

Ah!! another pessimist :) can you postpone it for while so that I can build up my retirement package to a bottomless pit :) as far as the UK is concerned until the £ strengthens against the $ things are going to worse before they get better.....depends really on the outcome of the EU exit...and do I agree paying 'the old boys club' a leaving fee...NO!! why should we give them a monetary cushion so that they can get their house in order.
    I voted to stay, because the benefits outweighed the benefits of leaving. I've always hated politics and politicians to me it's based around innuendo, they talk in riddles, never answer a question and never do what they say they're gonna do :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah!! another pessimist :) can you postpone it for while so that I can build up my retirement package to a bottomless pit :) as far as the UK is concerned until the £ strengthens against the $ things are going to worse before they get better.....depends really on the outcome of the EU exit...and do I agree paying 'the old boys club' a leaving fee...NO!! why should we give them a monetary cushion so that they can get their house in order
    I voted to stay, because the benefits outweighed the benefits of leaving. I've always hated politics and politicians to me it's based around innuendo, they talk in riddles, never answer a question and never do what they say they're gonna do :)

Bro - I'm a retiree. Do you think I'm happy about what I see as inevitable? I just can't stick my head in the sand and try to ignore it. I really wanted this to work through the system back in 2008, while I was still working. But Uncle Sugar decided to throw huge sums of cash into propping things up, rather than allow the storm to prune the financial system.
    (After the "bailout" fiasco, I decided to retire with the knowledge that the constant "propping up" might stave off the inevitable beyond my days. That, "beyond my days", is what I'm hoping for.)

Along similar lines, does the concept of "spending your way back into wealth" make any sense at all?
    ((Fact: If one spends all of their income, becoming wealthy is impossible. I won't even mention the corrosive effects of "debt".)) Further, with 1/2 the population working and only half of that half (1/4) paying national taxes, how is it possible to incrementally and progressively spend more each and every year? That's what we're doing over here, sea to shining sea. So, in my opinion, my take on this is not pessimism, it's being realistic. It's "common sense". This state of affairs can't continue indefinitely and with 20 trillion of debt (with the north side 20 to 22 trillion being the point of no return) serious "adjustments" will have to be made in the future. And, as it has been throughout history (the Weimar Republic is an example), the common man always pays the majority of the price for their government's financial foolishness.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bro - I'm a retiree.

I'm nearly there, but I have to agree with what you say it's always the common man that pays in the end, maybe if the same happens as 2008 it may this time work it's way through the system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm nearly there, but I have to agree with what you say it's always the common man that pays in the end, maybe if the same happens as 2008 it may this time work it's way through the system.

At this point, I seriously doubt it. The precedents have already been set. Those precedents are, "too big to fail" and "government must intervene" in economic down turns to prevent job losses, etc., "for the good of the common man". Now, the economic treatments of choice are tax payer funded bailouts and printing more money which, in turn, allows for even more government spending.

Printing money devalues currency, creating inflation, which is another cost the common man has to bear. Over here it hovers around a 2% loss of purchasing power per year. (These days, I'd love to be able to get 2% on savings. As it is 0.5% interest is a net annual loss that doesn't justify the systemic risk one takes with having money in an increasingly fragile banking system.) The only reason why we're not seeing massive inflation is EVERYONE in the world is printing money, based on the notion that their exports are cheaper if the underlying currency is devalued. How long do you expect that cycle to continue?

Actually, issues with foolish risks taken and the markets in general would work themselves out, if left alone. Would there be bumps? Sure, but attempting to smooth out those bumps creates an ever upward incline that finally ends up in a drop into a chasm. The correction is coming and it's inevitable. At this point It's just a question of duration, severity, and it may result in political events approaching "revolution". (So you think Trump is not the best politician? Wait and see what happens, and who gets elected, when "it" hits the fan.)

The more meddling in the markets, paid for at the expense of the common man, the more severe the effects to the common man are. Personally, I'd rather take a dose of bitter medicine every once in awhile rather than have a finger (or an arm) cut off. (Venezuela is losing a finger and the arm is now in question.)

Those who have an education in finance, that's tempered with common sense, know the truth of the situation. Much as it is when we see old war movies, future generations will look back (like we now look back on the the Weimar Republic) and say; "What were they thinking?" "It would have been so easy to avoid."

The bottom line is; in a time when all are looking for shortcuts to the shortcuts, it's time to realize that, really, there are no shortcuts. A bit of applied intelligence, careful planing, investment and hard work all around is the road map to a better life for all. It's common sense. But, these days, common sense is so uncommon,, it's a freaking super power. :rolleyes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a ZFS pool up and running in a mirror. After all the preaching I've done on the subject,,, RAID! 8o
    Here's to hoping the hype is true, that ZFS in a mirror can detect and safely correct bitrot.
    (I may use a sector editor to actually test file level bitrot "self healing". In the meantime, I'm choosing to believe that it works.)

The first thing that jumped out during confg was, the way I like to do permissions is not supported, natively, on ZFS.
    To use extended ACL's and to support user permissions on network shares, the way I do it, the following was necessary.

[Where "ZFS1" is the VDEV or pool name]

zfs set aclinherit=passthrough ZFS1
    zfs set acltype=posixacl ZFS1
    zfs set xattr=sa ZFS1

It all seemed a bit odd. It makes me wonder how permissions are done on Solaris. Further, one would think that in the project to port ZFS to Linux, (to match ext3, ext4, etc.) the project would have made the above permission features standard defaults.

I bought "High Reliability" NAS drives. Interestingly, these 7K spindle speed drives run significantly hotter, when compared to a 5K drive in the same cooling environment. (Ranging from 3 to 8 degrees C, hotter.) With faster motors, in the same form factor, the extra heat makes sense.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow.. Looking at the above on a new day, well,, I guess I need to learn not to hold back!

I thought you had your politician hat on or you were just in 'soap box' mode :D but it makes one feel better to get a few things off one's chest so to speak ;)

I have a ZFS pool up and running in a mirror.

Wow!! moving forward then.

The first thing that jumped out during confg was, the way I like to do permissions is not supported, natively, on ZFS.
    To use extended ACL's and to support user permissions on network shares, the way I do it, the following was necessary.

That went straight over my head, the last time I used ZFS was on N4F but having set up the pools and vdevs that was it, I think! been a while since I used it....the rest was done via samba.

TBH reading threads on here and researching different aspects on what I want, it starts to be become confusing, you want to create something that holds all your data, uses the maximum space as possible, by that I mean 4 x 1Tb as 2 mirrors only give me 2Tb of space. But a raid 5 will give me 2.7Tb, whereas that link I posted using mergefs and snapraid would probably give me 3Tb as 1 drive would be used for parity......but....using the Pi as an rsync server allows me to back up all the shares anyway, something I was never doing before. I just have to be careful that I don't go OTT, just to keep the peace :)

I brought down an old Optiplex from the loft someone on a local website asked if anyone had an old computer they not longer needed....well this was missing a cmos battery, had a spare one of those, fitted a hard drive on a non slip mat (drive rails were missing!!) decided to have a look at Zorin....installed fine had a play around and decided the Optiplex was good to be used, emailed the person concerned....no response....so I'm now getting grief as to why this is sitting on my office window sill....it's a no win situation....until my help is requested to sort out something at school!! I hate phone call support particularly where my wife is concerned ^^ unfortunately the 'magic' computer wand doesn't work over the phone :rolleyes:

I've got my son wanting to create a media option for his movies, so he's waiting for a Pi3B to arrive and has invested in a 3Tb external drive, the Pi will run Kodi and the drive will store the films.....I've convinced him to get a second external drive to use as a backup, which he can do via his laptop, this will at least ensure, (hopefully), that he will not lose his digital collection.....but it looks as if 'the old man' will be helping with the setup :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

the project would have made the above permission features standard defaults.

ACLs are after thought with every filesystem on Linux. zfs on linux just chose not to enable them by default. Personally, I am glad since I don't like ACLs and most people use them incorrectly causing more problems.

Don't quote me on this but you should be able to add those acl parameters to a pool by using the edit button in the zfs plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ACLs are after thought with every filesystem on Linux. zfs on linux just chose not to enable them by default. Personally, I am glad since I don't like ACLs and most people use them incorrectly causing more problems.

You're telling me... There's a huge down side to extended ACL's, for those who are unaware of the potential conflicts.

I read a white paper on Linux extended ACL's, versus basic permissions (owner/group/others), and was startled to find that the combination of the two can result in less access than the highest level granted by any one of the two. What would be granted seemed to be the "common intersection" of the two different types (or a rough equivalent of a boolean "AND" operation). This is opposite of NTFS permissions where, if there are differences in the access level granted VIA groups, individual users, etc., the highest level of access is granted (a boolean "OR" operation).

Working in a file/folder access "AND" environment, things could become bizarre if both types (basic and extended) are in use.

Still, since Linux was born at an outcrop of Unix and for IP networks, one would think permissions implementation would be given more thought. (Says the NOOB. :) )

On the fix, I appreciate the note. I'll check out what can be edited in the GUI for future use.
    (While I'm not afraid of the command line, one has to love the OMV GUI.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Well, I find it aggravating to see known psychological principles being applied to the masses in transparent efforts to manipulate them - all so that persons of questionable integrity can wield power. As I see a sort of awakening among the masses, I'm both hopeful and more than a bit worried about what's down the road. In times coming, I think the Chinese curse applies; "may you live in interesting times".

2. In provisioning for storage space, I actively go for at least 4x the requirement, even before backup considerations. (And that was before the recently configured mirror for bitrot protection.) With this ZFS mirror, I have roughly 8TB of disks (2x4TB) for a bit over 1TB of data. Since I think the sweet spot is between 50 to 75% filled disk space, I have plenty of room to grow.
    (I dump unimportant stuff to a 3TB with no backup.) On the home front, if you want data safety, it's difficult to be disk efficient.

3. Working on the Optiplex for free, for some undeserving whelp (who is a stranger no less), tells me you're a good guy. On the other hand, your wife is well within her rights and role to complain. Women are predisposed toward causing their husbands some level of grief/stress. If not, there would be no point in getting married. I mean, look at my case. As you're aware, I have English origins. My wife? 100% Irish. To some degree,, well,, it's in her DNA!!... Just kidding!! :D
    Considering the English/Irish history, if one puts stock is such things, it's been amazingly smooth. On the other hand,, she is a bit on the stubborn side... :huh: She says that stubbornness is an "Irish disability".
    You, my friend, need to try to leverage those phone support sessions to your advantage,, to get a bit more... A trip to the pub or something. :thumbup: (Never wait! Use the voucher as soon as you can.)

4. Kids. You could bend over backwards for them and they'd ask how long you could hold the position. I have no idea what his PC skills are but, if it gets our of hand, remind him:
    "I am a digital immigrant. You are a digital native. You're supposed to know this stuff at birth. You should be helping me."
    (Then hit him with the poor old, tired, broken down, dad story. You know, pour it on,, then get him to promise you something when you retire. A caravan or something. You'll never get it, but at least you'll have something to hold over his head. :thumbup: )

On the software front, I've tried both Emby and Plex. As it seems, either the two of them have problems with protected network shares or having local media libraries must be required. As it seems, neither have provisions for accessing a local network share with permissions enabled, as a library / media source. Curiously, there's little in the way of errata on the subject.

In the process, I found what seems to be a docker isolation feature. I installed Plex and Emby as Dockers. Since network shares seem to be problematic, I tired to put a symlink inside docker containers that referenced a local music share, that's "outside" of the container. It didn't fly. I'm about 98% sure it's a permissions issue but I can't (don't know how) to get on the command line "inside the docker", to reassign the permission for the symlink to the dockers' version of "root". I guess container specific permissions are the strength behind the isolation of the docker container. It makes sense.

Like that Samba issue awhile back, this is becoming a puzzle to be solved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In provisioning for storage space, I actively go for at least 4x the requirement, even before backup considerations. (And that was before the recently configured mirror for bitrot protection.) With this ZFS mirror, I have roughly 8TB of disks (2x4TB) for a bit over 1TB of data. Since I think the sweet spot is between 50 to 75% filled disk space, I have plenty of room to grow.
    (I dump unimportant stuff to a 3TB with no backup.) On the home front, if you want data safety, it's difficult to be disk efficient.

That's an excellent way of looking at it, my disks are what I have and I know at some point I shall need to change/upgrade them at that point it would be a good idea to change the setup.

Working on the Optiplex for free, for some undeserving whelp (who is a stranger no less),

Well the site is called freecycle, so if you have something you can't sell the obvious choice is to take to the the recycle centre, this site allows you to offer and request something.....in essence it's useful as you can pass on something you no longer need and the recipient collects. We gave away an old amplifier to a parent run kids dance school using this site as theirs had died and they needed a replacement.

Women are predisposed toward causing their husbands some level of grief/stress.

I'll second that :thumbup: but we couldn't live without them...that's why we got married.

"I am a digital immigrant. You are a digital native. You're supposed to know this stuff at birth. You should be helping me."

Technically yes, his problem is he uses his phone for everything, if he can't solve something he'll search for it, but by doing that he has a habit of reading what I call 'the crap' and quoting that back...that's the stuff that appears to point to the solution but doesn't resolve it.
    He has Kodi on Firestick.....installing on a Pi is different and you have to somehow explain that....then!! once it's all installed and working he wants to install the Kodi build he has on the Firestick.....be my guest....Dad, it's lost all the settings :cursing: you then have to explain that each skin/build is different and they have specific ways of setting menus etc up. So leaving him for a few hours to try and sort it out I end up doing it, why, because I've learn't a little about Kodi skins and their menu structure....when he finally moves out it will be his problem....but I have to be honest he like his mother he has a lot of patience and will spend time resolving a problem until it beats him into submission.

On the software front, I've tried both Emby and Plex. As it seems, either the two of them have problems with protected network shares or having local media libraries must be required. As it seems, neither have provisions for accessing a local network share with permissions enabled, as a library / media source. Curiously, there's little in the way of errata on the subject.

In the process, I found what seems to be a docker isolation feature. I installed Plex and Emby as Dockers. Since network shares seem to be problematic, I tired to put a symlink inside docker containers that referenced a local music share, that's "outside" of the container. It didn't fly. I'm about 98% sure it's a permissions issue but I can't (don't know how) to get on the command line "inside the docker", to reassign the permission for the symlink to the dockers' version of "root". I guess container specific permissions are the strength behind the isolation of the docker container. It makes sense.

I can only look at this from what I have done, I've tried both Plex and Emby but settled on Emby because I preferred it's structure.

On the last set up Emby was on an Ubuntu server and the media was on N4F with symlinks on Ubuntu, this worked until there were some Samba updates and the whole thing went pear shaped and rebooting each server resolved it.

When I first installed Omv 2 I installed Emby from cli...no problem, it worked...but I started doing looking around and another option was docker...so I uninstalled Emby and installed the docker version, now this was where I set things up differently, I never applied any paths within the docker container to my media. Once Emby was installed I just ran it and pointed the wizard to my samba shares and it worked. I did read a docker thread on here and they were having problems accessing their media after adding a path to their media in the docker container.
    I think why mine worked was because I was not aware of adding the path information to the docker container.....that might sound confusing but to me it was install Emby in docker and allow Emby to point to the shares as the shares were on the same machine.
    I know from using Emby under Linux it needs to mount the media as if it's local hence the symlinks in my first setup....so if your trying to mount remote shares i.e. on another server symlinks are the way to do it, that means editing the fstab file.

I had a problem with my son trying to explain to him that whilst he could add a location and select his usb drive, it actually didn't work you had to go to the root folder then browse down the list to where the usb was mounted...i.e. /media/Elements/Films it then worked and Kodi could find the movies and their nfo files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, on the remote Samba shares (music / video) that you're using with Emby:
    What are the permissions on your Samba media shares? Does everyone have read and write? Are they completely open?

I have a directory tree structure in place where I can find any media I want in short order. But, at this point, these media servers and their (lack of) interaction with protected remote shares are more of a puzzle than anything else.

And that thing about (the son) "when he finally moves out"; how old is he? :rolleyes: Forget that I asked if he's, say, 30 something... :D

Hey, I heard in the news that someone gave Theresa May a (symbolic) pink slip. You immediately can to mind. That wasn't you, was it? 8o

On the son using the phone for research, all the time.
    The Net is a great research tool but, as you're well aware, anything from the net must be measured with a critical eye. On the other side of the coin, as it is with nearly any subject, absorbing at least some of the details and other minutia is important to learning, being able to understand the overview, and it's critical for "retention". The younger generations, as it seems, couldn't be bothered with details.

Of course, I'm sure that they look at me as an old curmudgeon.
    (They're probably right... :whistling: )

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, on the remote Samba shares (music / video) that you're using with Emby:
    What are the permissions on your Samba media shares? Does everyone have read and write? Are they completely open?

Mine are all guest, I looked at it from the point that they are media shares they contain nothing that I don't want anyone at home to access, but with Emby the user Emby requires read/write access but this is done during the setup of Emby.

When you say remote, are the shares on another server? if they are you'll have to set up symlinks on the machine you want to play the media on.

And that thing about (the son) "when he finally moves out"; how old is he? Forget that I asked if he's, say, 30 something...

:D:D Yes he is 30, but it's never bothered me or the wife with him still being at home.....it's taken him and his girlfriend nearly 2 years to get a deposit for the house they are buying. I've told him when he moves out the chinese laundry will be closed, maid and chef service will be terminated :D:D

Hey, I heard in the news that someone gave Theresa May a (symbolic) pink slip. You immediately can to mind. That wasn't you, was it?

No but I give a big :thumbup: to him

On the son using the phone for research, all the time.
    The Net is a great research tool but, as you're well aware, anything from the net must be measured with a critical eye. On the other side of the coin, as it is with nearly any subject, absorbing at least some of the details and other minutia is important to learning, being able to understand the overview, and it's critical for "retention". The younger generations, as it seems, couldn't be bothered with details.

That's his problem and to some extent the wife's, their research is narrowed, if I find something that I'm searching for I also want confirmation from another site/s before I even attempt the option.
    We've installed Kodi on his Pi using openelec, I've then had to show him (from memory) how to set that up....he then proceeds to install the build he's got on his FireStick...Ok he did ask 'can I do that'....who am I the oracle :D well having done that he wants to add sub menu's...unfortunately this is where the oracle's knowledge went out the window, and so did googles for that matter. The information out there regarding that build is virtually nil.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Mine are all guest, I looked at it from the point that they are media shares they contain nothing that I don't want anyone at home to access, but with Emby the user Emby requires read/write access but this is done during the setup of Emby.
    When you say remote, are the shares on another server? if they are you'll have to set up symlinks on the machine you want to play the media on.

2. :D:D Yes he is 30, but it's never bothered me or the wife with him still being at home.....it's taken him and his girlfriend nearly 2 years to get a deposit for the house they are buying. I've told him when he moves out the chinese laundry will be closed, maid and chef service will be terminated :D:D

1. I have a "repository" server for data that includes, well, almost everything. I want to keep all data "there". It just makes management, backup, etc., a lot easier. Accordingly, I have "write" access to everything. The wife has write access to some folders, where she drops files, and read to the rest. Guests get "read only" to public shares which are media files.

In any case, I'll look closer at symlinks, (Win) short cuts, the emby user and the functionality behind remote mount. (I imagine plex has a user similar to emby. It's probably - "plex".)

2. On the housing situation, I know things in Europe don't equate to what they are here. Getting into a house is a big hairy deal over there. Even if he is 30, he must be doing something well enough to be able to afford a house. It's no easy thing in the UK.

But,,, remind him "how" he managed to save up that money,, which was, basically, at your inconvenience... That means whenever you and the wife want to go over there (any time), and be fed, he shouldn't complain.
    (And after he moves and settles into the new place; if I was you, I'd drop off a bag of laundry to illustrate the point, so he understands exactly what he owes the two of you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Guests get "read only" to public shares which are media files.

In any case, I'll look closer at symlinks, (Win) short cuts, the emby user and the functionality behind remote mount. (I imagine plex has a user similar to emby. It's probably - "plex".)

The read only 'might be' the problem, I do know that the Emby user requires read/write access, in the case of films if you use Emby's scraper it needs to write an nfo file to the films directory.

On the housing situation, I know things in Europe don't equate to what they are here. Getting into a house is a big hairy deal over there. Even if he is 30, he must be doing something well enough to be able to afford a house. It's no easy thing in the UK.

They have to jump through so many hoops, to apply for a mortgage they have to have 10% of the properties purchase price, then a pot for stamp duty, solicitor fees, conveyancing fees, mortgage broker fees (if they use one) and moving costs. My sons salary was queried by the mortgage company, he gets paid 4 weekly not calendar month, he had to supply extra pay slips to cover 6 months pay, as additional evidence he had to supply bank statements that matched his pay slips.

As an exercise look at a site rightmove.co.uk, enter a search for where we live, Braintree Essex, convert the value of your property to sterling and do a search for House within that range and see what comes up :)

But,,, remind him "how" he managed to save up that money,, which was, basically, at your inconvenience... That means whenever you and the wife want to go over there (any time), and be fed, he shouldn't complain.

I said to him when do we get the invite for Christmas Day lunch....needless to to say the invite wasn't forthcoming :D although over Sunday Lunch with the usual conversational banter the wife did say 'you might get a lodger sooner than you think'.....although she was looking at me I know she was joking :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

(With reference to housing "mortgage pain")
    Over here, the financial cast figured out how to get the required 20% down rolled into the financing of a house so that all costs were absorbed into a monthly payment. (Mortgage insurance based on credit default swaps.) That, (0% down) and ridiculously low interest rates, led to the financial crisis of 2008. So, I think it's good that there's pain for young folks when they buy a house. Otherwise, if there's no "skin in the game" or a butt load of money down, people walk away if real-estate values drop. (This is a matter of history now.) While it sounds like the UK is now conservative in this regard, unfortunately, the same ole close to 0% down practices are in place in US, again. :S

On the server side of life:
    Have you ever heard of Pi-Hole? It's an ad-blocker that covers all clients, network wide. Check it out. Pi-Hole
    I've been using it and, man, it's great! Sites that were full of advertising banners and video pop-ups (bogging down our browsers) are suddenly usable again. Performance is actually snappy!
    The package, Pi-Hole, was originally designed for a Raspberry PI but runs on other Linux variants as well. So,, I tired to get OMV Dev's (well, ryecarron) to consider coding a Pi-Hole plugin. Sadly, he tried before and it must have been a PITA. In due course, I discovered this myself. OMV and Docker do not get along working side-by-side. It's a port 80 issue. Both OMV an Pi-Hole want exclusive access to it (port 80), but both can't have it on the same IP address.

Since the last time I posted on this thread, I've been looking over and playing around with Docker. Along those lines, getting Pi-hole to work with OMV, on the same box, became something of a challenge. So,, after dinking around with it, I now have a docker configuration that let's Pi-Hole coexist with OMV. I've also learned a few other things like how to make Docker container data persistent, sharing files/folders between host and a container, and a few other things.

Along similar lines, I've worked up a Docker configuration that will run Plex on OMV and, using the remote mount plugin, can use user/password secured remote directories for media sources. (I worked this up in a VM and was shocked at how much meta-data Plex generates as it download's pic's and other data, from the internet, for music files. I stopped Plex from filling the little 10GB VM hard drive created as the boot drive.) In any case, after seeing Plex work as it should, I can understand why it's popular.

Given the things that can be done with it, I suspect Docker will be playing a larger role in multi-function servers as time goes on.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!