General discussion moved from another thread!!

• I read the article and, I have to say, it's interesting. Since I have more than a few unused hard drives laying around, I might build the media server as project.
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing

OMV 3.0.81 Erasmus - Rsync'ed Backup Server
      R-PI 2 $29 / 16GB SD Card $8 / Real Time Clock $1.86
      4TB WD My Passport $119
    • New

flmaxey wrote:

I still haven't worked out why my particular Emby install has a problem with music media. Again, why I hit play, the song is over (less than a second). When I play a mix, the titles flow by at speed as if songs where 1 second long. I haven't had time to mess around with it but it's definitely strange. (It probably has something to do with the way I'm trying to play files from a remote net location.) In any case.
      I had that if I attempted to play music locally say through Chrome....I ended up removing Emby and reinstalling and that solved the problem...TBH I've never found Emby that great to play music from, hence with the latest Pi installed with Kodi I have pointed Kodi to the SMB music share, this works seamlessly and it shuffles :) I have a PS3 which also works well for playing music, it picks up the share on Emby via dlna.

flmaxey wrote:

EmbyCon? Frankly, I wouldn't even be interested in a media player / manager if it didn't do music. Video is OK but, after a movie is seen a few times, it becomes old news. In my view, TV shows have an even shorter lifespan. (I'll exempt the various Star Trek series' episodes from the general rule. ) On the other hand, and with a bit of variety, I'll listen to my favorite music tracks more than a few times.
      I'm the same, but Emby has proved to be a useful way of coordinating everything and it's centrally managed.....I like to watch an old movie occasionally particularly if what's on TV is a load of rubbish.

flmaxey wrote:

On the Rsync thing: (This assumes that you'll continue to use the R-PI is a backup "file server".)
      I noticed when I Rsync shares (when new files or changes are copied over) that permissions are reset, at the destination, to the default create mask. root:root.
      I have to re look at this, things seem to have settled down a little and I've got some time to go back over what you posted, but all in all I'm happy that Pi2 is proving what I hoped it would.

flmaxey wrote:

I read the article and, I have to say, it's interesting. Since I have more than a few unused hard drives laying around, I might build the media server as project.
      Good, must admit it caught my interest, I've got some drives but I got rid of the 2 server cases :( the Intel one would have been ideal to give it a try, both from the article and from using omv to do the same.

flmaxey wrote:

In other topics - awhile back you said something about "crossing a line" to vote against Theresa May?

I take it you are (were) a Tory? So what's your, um,, beef with the PM?
      I don't like the woman...neither do I trust her....I have voted Tory since I could vote and the last election was the first time I did not vote Tory....Cameron ran away when he lost EU vote, that's just not cricket!! Just because you lost some of toys doesn't mean you should push the pram into the first ditch you find!!
      I admire Nicola Sturgeon but she's all me me me.....she could be a Scottish Thatcher hahahaha that wouldn't go down well either.

What we need is a billionaire actor who thinks twitter is his personal messaging service...now I wonder who that could be a clone of :)

Donald Schwarzenegger rides again...'I'll be back' :)
    • New

geaves wrote:

I don't like the woman...neither do I trust her....I have voted Tory since I could vote and the last election was the first time I did not vote Tory....Cameron ran away when he lost EU vote, that's just not cricket!! Just because you lost some of toys doesn't mean you should push the pram into the first ditch you findI admire Nicola Sturgeon but she's all me me me.....she could be a Scottish Thatcher hahahaha that wouldn't go down well either.

What we need is a billionaire actor who thinks twitter is his personal messaging service...now I wonder who that could be a clone of :)

Donald Schwarzenegger rides again...'I'll be back' :)
      Is there any particular reason why you don't trust her? Would it have anything to do with the dutch boy looking hair style? :rolleyes: Still, she has an honest (if stern looking), face!

((Thought Cloud: Geaves, you didn't vote for me,,, you've been a naughty boy... ))

I had the same sort of visceral reaction to Hillary Clinton. I actually met her back in the day, when she was Bill's first bimbo, at the US Embassy in India. (And note, with just a few minutes of first hand exposure, I'm fairly accurate in an assessment of character.) What I got from her, as she was shaking hands with a phony smile was; "What an inconvenience,, but one must do this for the little people..." As it turned out in the fullness of time, I wasn't wrong.

I don't know what Cameron thought about the EU vote but I imagine the outcome had nothing to with him, personally, or his influence in his party. (However, he wouldn't know that. Really, all of those people live in a bubble.)

I think the current state of affairs in several nations has everything to do with citizens' frustration with their governments giving preferential treatment to non-citizens and handing out unwarranted advantages to other nations, again, at the expense of their own citizens. A governments function, its very first responsibility, is to it's own citizens. This is fundamental. It's been that way back into the dim mists of recorded history,, until just recently. I think the average man (the makers who actually pay more in taxes than they take from the system) has had enough and is beginning to push back in the form of "the vote". Unfortunately, the effects of these vote/protests are far from over and I think the worst has yet to come.
      (These issues are why I think it was possible for someone like Trump to get elected but one would have to give Hillary credit as well. She did a LOT to help him get elected.)

I'd have to give Trump a few points for what he's done so far. First he's far from eloquent, but that's what allows for his "bull in a china shop" approach. He's tearing down the status quo. The folks in Washington are not happy and are taking note. That's a good thing because at least it's different and what was happening before was going nowhere.

In the bottom line, however, I don't believe he'll do much of real significance. The actual change will come after the next financial meltdown which, as we're currently passing the point of no return, isn't very far down the road. (And I do believe, in the journey to the financial bottom, the UK and the rest of the EU will be joining the US.) At that point, well after it's too late, true conservatism will rise again.

4TB WD My Passport $119

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• New

flmaxey wrote:

I think the current state of affairs in several nations has everything to do with citizens' frustration with their governments giving preferential treatment to non-citizens and handing out unwarranted advantages to other nations, again, at the expense of their own citizens. A governments function, its very first responsibility, is to it's own citizens. This is fundamental. It's been that way back into the dim mists of recorded history,, until just recently. I think the average man (the makers who actually pay more in taxes than they take from the system) has had enough and is beginning to push back in the form of "the vote". Unfortunately, the effects of these vote/protests are far from over and I think the worst has yet to come.
      (These issues are why I think it was possible for someone like Trump to get elected but one would have to give Hillary credit as well. She did a LOT to help him get elected.)
      You're probably right. what politicians say during an election campaign and what they do when elected are two very different things. I liked Cameron especially as far as the EU was concerned....change it from the inside is a better choice than leaving without having a definitive plan.

I agree with what you say about Trump, he could be a 'breath of fresh air' he just needs to engage his brain before his mouth or his fingers, it will be interesting to see what he can achieve during his office, but I just can't see him getting elected for a second term.

flmaxey wrote:

The actual change will come after the next financial meltdown which, as we're currently passing the point of no return, isn't very far down the road.
      Ah!! another pessimist :) can you postpone it for while so that I can build up my retirement package to a bottomless pit :) as far as the UK is concerned until the £ strengthens against the $ things are going to worse before they get better.....depends really on the outcome of the EU exit...and do I agree paying 'the old boys club' a leaving fee...NO!! why should we give them a monetary cushion so that they can get their house in order.
      I voted to stay, because the benefits outweighed the benefits of leaving. I've always hated politics and politicians to me it's based around innuendo, they talk in riddles, never answer a question and never do what they say they're gonna do :)
    • New

geaves wrote:

Ah!! another pessimist :) can you postpone it for while so that I can build up my retirement package to a bottomless pit :) as far as the UK is concerned until the £ strengthens against the $ things are going to worse before they get better.....depends really on the outcome of the EU exit...and do I agree paying 'the old boys club' a leaving fee...NO!! why should we give them a monetary cushion so that they can get their house in order
      I voted to stay, because the benefits outweighed the benefits of leaving. I've always hated politics and politicians to me it's based around innuendo, they talk in riddles, never answer a question and never do what they say they're gonna do :)
      Bro - I'm a retiree. Do you think I'm happy about what I see as inevitable? I just can't stick my head in the sand and try to ignore it. I really wanted this to work through the system back in 2008, while I was still working. But Uncle Sugar decided to throw huge sums of cash into propping things up, rather than allow the storm to prune the financial system.
      (After the "bailout" fiasco, I decided to retire with the knowledge that the constant "propping up" might stave off the inevitable beyond my days. That, "beyond my days", is what I'm hoping for.)

Along similar lines, does the concept of "spending your way back into wealth" make any sense at all?
      ((Fact: If one spends all of their income, becoming wealthy is impossible. I won't even mention the corrosive effects of "debt".)) Further, with 1/2 the population working and only half of that half (1/4) paying national taxes, how is it possible to incrementally and progressively spend more each and every year? That's what we're doing over here, sea to shining sea. So, in my opinion, my take on this is not pessimism, it's being realistic. It's "common sense". This state of affairs can't continue indefinitely and with 20 trillion of debt (with the north side 20 to 22 trillion being the point of no return) serious "adjustments" will have to be made in the future. And, as it has been throughout history (the Weimar Republic is an example), the common man always pays the majority of the price for their government's financial foolishness.

4TB WD My Passport $119
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest