The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

I started with Mint Cinnamon, then tried XFCE both x86 and x64 same problem. tried Linux Light which I think is XFCE all the same flickering screen, so I assumed the laptop had a problem with the screen, never did any more to it, put in my cupboard.
    Whilst I was searching for problems with USB 3.0 and W10 (the wife's laptop would not recognise a USB 3.0 external hdd, would connect at USB 2.0) I found a reference to Creators Update .iso and then found references to users reinstalling using that .iso, so that's what I did, put in a different hdd and reinstalled W10, had it on for a day and no flicker.
    I can only assume that for whatever reason it must have something to with the Nvidia drivers......it's like this laptop, graphics are Intel Graphics HD 4000, whilst this works well on Linux the image is way sharper on W10 (sorry sharper is the only way I can describe it) The only issue I ran into was setting up dual monitor, it seems now you use Win+P to set it up, or as I found out later, Intel HD Graphics Control Panel :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It seems like you've touched all the bases.

I've run into problems with Xserver back in the day (20 years ago) but, recently, it's been pretty good even when proprietary drivers are needed. In any case...

In Pi-Hole, my Top Blocked Domain is settings-win.data.microsoft.com Is it the same with you? The name alone smells of demographics collection (spying). I didn't take note of the number of query's blocked, before putting Win10 on line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Pi-Hole, my Top Blocked Domain is settings-win.data.microsoft.com Is it the same with you? The name alone smells of demographics collection (spying). I didn't take note of the number of query's blocked, before putting Win10 on line.

Interesting mine is;
    watson.telemetary.microsoft.com followed by settings-win.data.microsoft.com, all my privacy stuff is off except for location, mind you I went through the wife's laptop whilst I was sorting USB 3.0 and turned all hers off. No idea what is set on the daughters, but she makes me smile, she has a post it over her camera on both her own laptop and the works.
    I did find something odd today after checking pi-hole and dhcp on omv, this laptop had assigned itself the static ip which I had set to the Mint install even though the dhcp option was set. The ip was also appearing in dhcp leases which is odd as the ip is outside the scope, needless to say I have done a release/renew which has reassigned an ip within the scope.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@flmaxey

With the update to OMV 4 I decided to update the Docker Pi-hole, it seems that the latest Pi-hole no longer uses dnsmasq but uses it's own called FTL.

The one thing I have noticed since updating the graphs are flat or rather they are not recording, I'm wondering therefore because I'm running the latest dnsmasq plugin if this is having an issue somehow. I did find a command to run to check if dnsmasq (but I've shut the page down) whilst the DNS in the plugin is pointing to Pi-hole I'm wondering if I should be looking at this from just using Pi-hole.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I remember, the original concern with Pi-hole was multicast (NetFlix type services) and Pi-Hole's DHCP server.

When I worked through the Docker config; I tested both server functions, DNS and DHCP, but I didn't "extensively" test the DHCP server function beyond the basics. With that stated, just because I didn't thoroughly test it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work reliably.

After looking at the number of views on the Pi-Hole "How-To" (closing in on 5000 - astonishing), I've received zero negative feedback. With that in mind, I'd be willing to bet that 100 or so (maybe more?) of those who installed it are running Pi-hole as both their DNS and DHCP server.

So, give it a try. In my next upgrade (to 4.0) I plan to, because along with the OMV server, Pi-Hole has been rock solid. You could always back out.

I need to look at OMV 4 with my hardware test platform, along with running Pi-hole and ZFS on OMV 4.0. I'll be loading 4.0 soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm working on an OMV4 install, on test hardware, as I write this. I'll look into the graphs issue but, if it's otherwise function, the lack of graphs wouldn't be a show stopper for me. Other than looking at the stat's on occasion, I don't look in on Pi-hole that often.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the update to OMV 4 I decided to update the Docker Pi-hole, it seems that the latest Pi-hole no longer uses dnsmasq but uses it's own called FTL.

The one thing I have noticed since updating the graphs are flat or rather they are not recording, I'm wondering therefore because I'm running the latest dnsmasq plugin if this is having an issue somehow. I did find a command to run to check if dnsmasq (but I've shut the page down) whilst the DNS in the plugin is pointing to Pi-hole I'm wondering if I should be looking at this from just using Pi-hole.

FTL (an older version of it) is in the old version of Pi-hole, on OMV3l. It's a statistics deamon for the Web interface.

I did a clean OMV4 build, updated, etc., and pulled the latest Pi-hole image (eb902c685095). The graphs work and, thankfully, the How-To still works as written.

• Offizieller Beitrag

latest Pi-hole image (eb902c685095)

That's what I have, well I've uninstalled OMV's dns/dhcp plugin and enabled DHCP in pi-hole, that's working but the graphs are still flat, showing Total DNS Queries: 0 Blocked DNS Queries: 0. I also followed your guide.

So I've no idea what's going on, it can't be the Watchtower Docker because I installed that yesterday evening, this started when I started the new pi-hole yesterday afternoon.....thought it might be browser cache, but have cleared that twice.

By just deleting the old Docker does it clear everything, as in doing a purge --remove, I'm wondering if the issue is a config file or something still hanging around.

EDIT: The issue seems to be in here
    the 01-pihole.conf there is a line log-queries is should be log-queries=extra, changed that and restarted the container.

If you google long enough you find the answer 8)

EDIT 2:
    Pi-hole DHCP scrapped!! iPads and Satellite box will not communicate!! So because the wife's home I have put everything back to the router, so tomorrow I'll reinstall the plugin which worked and reinstall Docker Pi-Hole. Aren't computers wonderful :cursing::D:D

• Offizieller Beitrag

EDIT 2:Pi-hole DHCP scrapped!! iPads and Satellite box will not communicate!! So because the wife's home I have put everything back to the router, so tomorrow I'll reinstall the plugin which worked and reinstall Docker Pi-Hole. Aren't computers wonderful :cursing::D:D

There has to be more to it. When I tested the DHCP function, to get my router out of the picture and in order for all devices to get new addresses, it was necessary to cold restart everything. The restart began with my router, with its DHCP server turned off. (Trying to short cut, moving a device here and there to Pi-hole, created a mess.)

I scrapped Pi-hole DHCP because of the leases to devices that I made permanent along the way. Device interconnections, based on DHCP IP addresses, become elaborate over time. For instance, I have IP phones which obtain their addresses with DHCP. (There are no traditionally wired phones in the house.) Based on those addresses, which I made permanent, I have QOS setup on the router so their bandwidth is guaranteed if something else swamps my internet connection.

There are other similar considerations and complexities that held me back but, I'm still going to move to Pi-hole because I want to (eventually) be able to replace my router. The upgrade to OMV4 is going to be interesting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By just deleting the old Docker does it clear everything, as in doing a purge --remove, I'm wondering if the issue is a config file or something still hanging around.

No it doesn't. It clears the running container and the old image.

The Pi-hole configuration (under /etc/pihole) is mapped to /dockerparms/pihole outside of the container. If you followed the How-To, the new container would pickup and merge the previous configuration. That was intended as a "feature" :) (for retaining white and black lists and other config settings) but in your case it might have hosed things up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There has to be more to it. When I tested the DHCP function, to get my router out of the picture and in order for all devices to get new addresses, it was necessary to cold restart everything.

Well I spent yesterday doing just that, then I turned on my laptop gave it a static ip, turned off the plugin and enabled DHCP on Pi-hole and set it up, turned on the router, first thing I did was to switch the satellite box and waited.....nothing no address issued, tried my ipad, same, iphone connects, my spare laptop connects, libreelec connects (that was a plus because that is the lounge connected via the same switch as the satellite box).
    So I turned it all off again and left it for 30 minutes....started the same process = same result, so re enabled the plugin and started again, this works and it frustrates the wife when she clicks on ad link and it bombs out :)

The Pi-hole configuration (under /etc/pihole) is mapped to /dockerparms/pihole outside of the container. If you followed the How-To, the new container would pickup and merge the previous configuration. That was intended as a "feature" (for retaining white and black lists and other config settings) but in your case it might have hosed things up.

On the second attempt, I decided pi-hole would be a clean install, so I removed all reference to pi-hole under /dockerparms/pihole the clean install has indeed reset everything the logs are updating correctly and so are the graphs. The whitelist from the GUI is working I have added a site whilst it doesn't display the static ad it displays a blank box without the sites message 'you are using an add blocker' so that's a plus.
    Emby is running fine graphically and the backend seems to working, llibreelec/kodi is communicating so it looks as if we're back running with a few lessons learn't.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The satellite box... One would think that Pi-Hole's DHCP server would comply to the same standard(s) as OMV's DNS plugin but, not being a Dev, the reasons why would be too deep a dive for me. Further, since it's one device, I imagine the issue wouldn't get much attention on the Pi-Hole forum.

Well, your sacrifice wasn't for nothing:
    Since my clean Pi-Hole install had working graphs as well, I changed the How-To so that graphs will work for other users, in the latest update/upgrade. (I.E. clear the file contents of /dockerparms.)
    In any case, you know you can blame the Yankee for all these issues - even for Pi-hole blocking the wife's ad's. :D

On the Royal wedding, my wife gives it 5 years before "there's trouble in paradise". (She has a "sense" for those things. :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

Further, since it's one device, I imagine the issue wouldn't get much attention on the Pi-Hole forum.

TBH I'm happy the way it is at present, the new version whitelist and blacklist add seems to working from the GUI. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was that iPhone would connect but the iPad wouldn't even after a network reset, they both use the same IOS.

In any case, you know you can blame the Yankee for all these issues - even for Pi-hole blocking the wife's ad's.

:D Well that lets me off the hook for one thing, I have enough trouble trying to explain to her how rotate her photos from the school iPad then upload to the school website......the site provider wants £100 to add code so that it will do it on the fly!! I keep showing her how to use Gimp because it auto detects the orientation, then they have to upload to google drive to a shared folder then you link the folder back to site...why? because there is a restriction on the number of photos they can add to the site!

On the Royal wedding, my wife gives it 5 years before "there's trouble in paradise". (She has a "sense" for those things. )

Royal marriages seem to have a habit of not lasting long as of late, the question is will they start 'breeding' :D The one that 'might' last is Zara Phillips (daughter of Anne, Princess Royal) to Mike Tindall the rugby player, they married in 2011.

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH I'm happy the way it is at present, the new version whitelist and blacklist add seems to working from the GUI. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was that iPhone would connect but the iPad wouldn't even after a network reset, they both use the same IOS.

I agree, that doesn't make sense. I think I'd give both a side-by-side examination of their network settings to see what's different on the iPad.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree, that doesn't make sense. I think I'd give both a side-by-side examination of their network settings to see what's different on the iPad.

That was one thing I did, I also connected the iPad to the 2.4 network (after a reset) and it still failed to get an ip, the only difference is that they are years apart in date manufacture, but even so that should not make a difference.

But it's all running Ok now....so....if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the obvious difference between the two would be hardware (years apart) which software would interact with differently.

But it's all running Ok now....so....if it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

That one has served me well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@flmaxey

Thanks to your comment here following the monit tutorial I just maybe able to resolve a small problem. :thumbup:

I have 'acquired' a Dell Optiplex i5 with 8Gb Ram with 2 video outputs (Display Port and VGA) this has mean't that I can use 2 decent monitors from 1 machine, which means a tidier desk, not only that I have reorganised the cabling as well earning the necessary brownie points :)
    However this has mean't retiring my Pi 2B which was running rsync with remote mount, the external hdd is usb 3 which this Dell has 2 of.
    So setting up rsync on omv using remote mount again and pointing it back to the external hdd attached to the Dell works great, in fact it's quicker than the pi and faster than connecting the hdd to my server which does not have usb 3.
    The only downside is the hdd cannot be disconnected as it's in use by omv, but I can disconnect when the Dell is shutdown....but I then get emails alerts relating to monit, also the syslog fills every few seconds with monit alerts.

Now I had read on the forum that monit alerts could either be reduced or turned off.....so a quick google and up popped that thread in the link pointing to that tutorial, and I now have a web interface for monit :thumbup: which means I can now set this up again and disable monit alerts for that external drive....well hopefully anyway.

I don't run rysnc on a schedule I run it manually when I know the content on the server has changed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That thread led to a protracted and unexpected discovery - Monit in a Web interface, that's configurable from the same. Who would have thought? Looking back, I think I went through that extended troubleshooting exercise simply because this last winter was just so daxx cold.

I need to do an OMV "hacks" section in the User Manual and put the Monit Web Interface in there, along with darkening Read Only text fields and a few other items.

You working IT guys,,, man.... All that free "acquired" hardware! I guess I'm doing OK on the hardware end of it. I've got a good number of PC's and laptops, but the laptops and a couple of the PC boxes are way out of date. As these boxes age but remain serviceable, I've really got to test more Desktop distro's until I find something that works well, for the wife... :D

I'm still using my R-PI 2B as a backup device and probably will until the attached USB 4TB drive goes south. Despite all one might hear, I've been running the R-PI 2B, with a directly attached USB drive (no hub), using a PS I got off of E-Bay for $3. (On the other hand, I know a few things about switching power supplies and the standards for AC ripple.) In any case, with good quality San-Disk SD-Cards, I've zero problems for a few years.

It was good to hear from you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You working IT guys,,, man.... All that free "acquired" hardware! I guess I'm doing OK on the hardware end of it. I've got a good number of PC's and laptops, but the laptops and a couple of the PC boxes are way out of date. As these boxes age but remain serviceable, I've really got to test more Desktop distro's until I find something that works well, for the wife...

I was asked to go and have a look in a cupboard in a 'demountable' (temporary classroom) there was so much old IT stuff that had obviously been put in there as and when it was replaced, instead of recycling it, selling it on cheap, the Opitplex was in a pile of laptops, just the box nothing else. The odd thing was I don't think it had been used as it went through the W7 setup process when it booted....and I found a recovery cd for it....so I decided to try and install W10 using the media creation tool on my laptop and it's now running W10.
    The wife brought me home an Dell Inspiron from school, no power supply but my Compaq adaptor worked, it's an i5 but it must be one of the earlier generation and it only has 2Gb of ram, but it runs W7 and Linux Mint x64, but I have no use for it so it's sitting in the cupboard along with 2 other laptops and a load of hard drives.

______________________________________________________________________________

That thread led to a protracted and unexpected discovery

Update on that:

Thursday, after finding your link to that Monit tutorial I changed the monitrc which gave me access to the web interface :thumbup: however, yesterday when I attempted to add a remote mount I kept getting an error that the remote machine was offline ?( so I uninstalled the plugin ran apt-clean then reinstalled and it worked. During the install I picked this up from the log file You are not authorized to access monit. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
    That error is relevant because when I tried to access the web interface it failed with connection refused! So back to monitrc....this was back to the default file and I had to change it again.
    I am wondering if the problem is related to the user and password being set to admin / monit as per the tutorial, 'maybe' setting it to the root user and root password used by omv is the answer.
    Anyway, back to this morning, as I suspected the syslog is full of monit alerts for the mount point...remote mount, but because of the monit web interface you can see exactly where the error is coming from....but!! it will not allow you to disable monitoring you get Forbidden invalid CSRF Token!!
    So there must be a config file somewhere that will allow you to disable monitoring for the remote mount plugin.

Ok having a look through the monit manual (that's alien to me, something I never do :) and there's me preaching to the wife RTFM) it appears you can add unmonitor <name> to the monitrc file, but that's according to the manual! and this is the part I always fail at understanding without examples.

• Offizieller Beitrag

During the install I picked this up from the log file You are not authorized to access monit. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.That error is relevant because when I tried to access the web interface it failed with connection refused! So back to monitrc....this was back to the default file and I had to change it again.
    I am wondering if the problem is related to the user and password being set to admin / monit as per the tutorial, 'maybe' setting it to the root user and root password used by omv is the answer.

In my case, I simply accessed the monit Web page and noted the potential for setting parameters. I didn't try to change anything. In any case, you'd think the root user would have access.

So there must be a config file somewhere that will allow you to disable monitoring for the remote mount plugin.

Note - this is speculation:

I'm not sure about disabling Remote Mount (monit) monitoring specifically. Remote Mount is a user friendly interface, in the GUI, for setting up a command line with arguments/switches, that is then placed in another config file (similar to /etc/fstab) where the line is activated on boot.
    (You're probably right, there might a file "somewhere" where it might be possible to turn something very specific like this off, but the question would be finding the file AND the parameter. I've went down rabbit holes in these searches before, tracing through a trail of what seemed like configuration bread crumbs. One config file references the next, go there, repeat...)

In any case, after the mount takes place a "file system" is mounted. Under System, Notifications, in the Notifications Tab, you could uncheck File Systems and, possibly Process Monitoring and see what happens. It wouldn't hurt anything to test it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!