The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

We should move this to off topic really we're diversifying from the original OP's thread for which I apologise, I'll work out how to paste the link.

Looks as if I've managed to do it :thumbup: but going back to your answer @flmaxey confining the second xeon server might be a good idea, I've usually just backed up/copied across the network rather set up something up as a backup.
    Having just installed OMV, the fact that everything is 'under one roof' is a bonus, but looking at a backup which just 'runs' without any hands on would be another. One option I had thought of was this as it has ethernet built in and doesn't have the restriction of usb, the one thing about wd mycloud is rsync.
    TBH I had never heard of the Odroid until I came here, I have read reviews about the Asus and the Orange Pi, I suppose really it's horses for courses, what you want something to do and it's reliability.
    At school I have 2 usb's for offsite and an old server for backup, I recently convinced the school to invest in Altaro because the standard windows server backup was failing more times than it worked, more from conflict with Attix 5 which was supplied by the local council as it backs up financial data to cloud storage (ms sql server).
    I have Pi2+ in the lounge which runs Openelec with Kodi, connected via Powerline plugs rather than wireless.

I just checked the price in the UK for that 4TB WD Passport...around £140 or $180 .approx

• Offizieller Beitrag

going back to your answer @flmaxey confining the second xeon server might be a good idea, I've usually just backed up/copied across the network rather set up something up as a backup.Having just installed OMV, the fact that everything is 'under one roof' is a bonus, but looking at a backup which just 'runs' without any hands on would be another. One option I had thought of was this as it has ethernet built in and doesn't have the restriction of usb, the one thing about wd mycloud is rsync.
    TBH I had never heard of the Odroid until I came here, I have read reviews about the Asus and the Orange Pi, I suppose really it's horses for courses, what you want something to do and it's reliability.
    At school I have 2 usb's for offsite and an old server for backup, I recently convinced the school to invest in Altaro because the standard windows server backup was failing more times than it worked, more from conflict with Attix 5 which was supplied by the local council as it backs up financial data to cloud storage (ms sql server).
    I have Pi2+ in the lounge which runs Openelec with Kodi, connected via Powerline plugs rather than wireless.

Jumping Jiminy! $180 USD for a 4TB passport! I'd be crying in the streets and protesting the VAT tax in front of Parliament!
    But, on the other hand, you're probably making the big bucks ,, umm, Euro's (for the time being), or Pounds (after Brexit).

The Odriods are supposed to be fast, with the UX4 being the fastest of the lot, capable of running a Ubuntu desktop nicely. I don't know how reliable they are. But when it comes to SBC's, support can be more important than performance. I do know that the R-PI is vastly supported. Odriod is well supported. The other's, not so much. I'm considering a Udoo X86 if they ever come out.

I'm not a fan of MYCLOUD, ONE DRIVE and that sort of thing, and I don't like "proprietary" devices. Having been in IT in times past, I know what the server jocks do and some of them, just like the population at large, are slimy characters. Even if it would be in a sea of user data, I wouldn't expose even minimal personal information to those jokers. Beside that, businesses have a way of going bankrupt and getting bought out where, suddenly, the user agreement is modified or done away with altogether. Since hard drives are enormous and cheap these days, I like the security of keeping my files at home. (Where I know what's going on with them.)
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

I think using your second server as a standby, fully independent backup, is a good idea. As an example of the way I do things with the R-PI (and in similar fashion with the 12 year old Windows server), the following is an example of how I Rsync my network shares.

These are my OMV base shares. The local shares are under "ServerFolders". The remote shares, enabled by the remote mount plugin (with a suffix of "_R"), are on the 24x7 network server.

This is my list of Rsync jobs. I toggle "Keep Partially Transferred Files" so files stay, if the job fails. Otherwise, they're deleted, and the next job starts sync'ing from scratch.
    I "spread scheduled" in the beginning because a couple jobs were enormous. At 100mbs, a good chunk of time was needed. However, after the initial sync, jobs now complete in a matter of a couple minutes. If I wanted to make the R-PI a cold backup, all Rsync jobs for changed or deleted files could easily be scheduled and completed in a single day.

Another possibility for the R-PI platform;
    With a programmable timed power strip and setting up the R-PI to shut down at a specific time (to avoid dirty shutdown's); "Walla", a fully automated "cold" backup solution. It could be set up to run 1 day, once a week or every two weeks.
    (I may try this after we move.)

The R-PI has been taking care of the above AND imaging two clients with UrBackup. The UrBackup server is set to run a single backup at a time. (I believe concurrent client backups might overwhelm the R-PI.) So far, even as a backup server, it's working well. Not bad for the R-PI ver 2.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back to your circumstance.
    On your second server, I'd consider making it "cold". (As previously noted, hard drives last a long time in a cold scenario.) I wouldn't bother setting up RAID on it. (RAID is better suited to 24x7 op's, where failed hard drives are more likely. Your call.) I'd check the SMART stat's on the drives installed. If they're clean, fine.
    You could sync your cold server, similar to the above. You could even set up SAMBA shares on the cold server, test them, and turn them off in OMV. Then, if there's a failure, you could bring up the cold spare and turn your SAMBA shares on. You'd be back on line with files, user access preconfigured, etc., with only, maybe, a couple weeks of missing data.

Of course, if you add a 24x7 R-PI w/USB drive to the mix, depending on how often Rsync is scheduled, you'd only be missing a few days. (Samba shares that are preconfigured, and off, could be done here as well.)

I admit that "off site" is a bit extreme for home use but, the way I see it, if it can be done AND automated, why not?

Anyway, I think you're far beyond the norm in what you're considering. A lot of users on this forum could avoid a lot of grief if they'd just back up just their boot drives. Alas, most think about backup well after it's too late.

The time for building an Ark is before it starts to rain.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That must have taken some planning, this is what happens at present;

I image my own laptop every to an external usb drive the idea being I can reinstall then restore the image, I have tried pxe booting for an image restore but I start getting registry errors, so a reinstall of W10 then restore the image. I critical part of some software gets added to user/AppData/Roaming/Software name this I sync with One Drive as the components I could not get again!!

The wife's a different person! she now has a small usb hdd which she stores all her working files, I have now finally got her to transfer these to the server at least every 2 weeks....her biggest problem is her iPad stores loads of photos just like her phone trying to get her to transfer these...nightmare.

Son and Daughter, I now leave to themselves I've lost count the number of times daughter has lost photos on her phone trying to get her to sync or backup is like trying to get blood from a stone...my son has about 3 external drives containing all sorts but at least he backs up.

What I don't want to do is to lose my music and movie collection, that I want to backup at least every 2 weeks along with the wife's files.....I currently have a 3Tb Buffalo which I manually copy to, automating this using something that is 'green' and can be started whenever a backup needs to be done would be ideal.
    Having taken the 2 Xeon servers and transferring the larger drives into 1 I now have space in my home office :thumbup: so perhaps a Pi running rsync would be a good option but perhaps use external drives in rotation...2/3 in number that way I'm covering myself for any loss.
    Once I've had OMV up for at least a week (this should allow Emby sufficient time to get some metadata) I'll image the second USB flash....and keep up with that on a monthly basis (Emby again) testing the image after completion.
    I must admit I'm liking what I have seen and used of OMV seems to fulfil a lot of roles and functionality at least for my needs, not difficult to set up, W10 is the pia but my Linux Mint laptop picked up the shares I have created no problem.....I would switch to Linux with no problem but MT4 is not easy to set up under wine, I've tried it twice now and each time something goes pear shaped.

I still haven't got the cardboard, "duck" tape and baling wire :D:D so the side of the case is off at present :rolleyes:

Quick edit: I've read somewhere on here that OMV does not support removing a failed drive from a degraded array..you have mdadm, that wouldn't be a problem, the recommended approach was to use rsync. So i'm guessing use individual drives then rsync each drive so one has a backup to recover from should that drive fail....at least that's what was inferred. This actually makes better sense, I've just looked at a raid option as fault tolerance...in other words your data will stay 'up' should a drive fail.
    However, the other way round I could have used one of these and had individual backup drives, for each share......it's an interesting thought and I probably should have some more research....there's a lot more information on here than just the general help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(I was out of town for a few days. Heading out again, in a couple.)

Like you, I DO NOT, want to lose my music collection, my photo's, E-books, some movies and other data files.
    (I even have archives of E-mails from way back. These days, I'd have to set up a VM for "way back" software, just to look at them.)
    I don't like taking data loss risks in platform(s) or the hard drive(s) so multiple levels makes sense to me. Not to mention that anyone in the archiving industry would tell you, if you want to keep it, more than one backup is a must. In the bottom line, once it's gone, it's gone.

Anyway, Rsync is good stuff and very efficient. I've been using it for awhile now and it's making me a believer. As you can see, in an Rsync job set up, scheduling is only limited by the imagination; any day or a few days of the month, any, some or all days of the week, multiple times in a day. It's easy to do. And while I didn't show you the full detail of my Rsync jobs, I turn on the following options:

Recursive - Recurse into directories
    Times - Preserve modification times
    Archive Delete - Delete files on the receiving side that don't exist on sender
    (**While some don't agree with the above for archiving purposes, preferring to keep everything, this option helps with housekeeping.)

Preserve Permissions
    Preserve Extended Attributes
    Keep Partially Transferred Files.

** Quick note: DO NOT turn ON "Quiet" - Suppress non-error messages. If you do, you'll get next to nothing in a dialog window which really helps if you're setting up something new. Also, the Rsync log file will be virtually empty.

And, yes, I also think it's better to Rsync 2 drives rather than RAID'ing them together. I just go a bit rather and put the drives on separate platforms.

You know, for Rsync purposes (I might have mentioned this before);
    I created a Windows user called Backup that has "read only" access to specific folders on my server. (Required so Remote Mount can connect to a Windows share.) I've done the same for a folder on a Windows client as well.
    You could set up a user like this up for your Wife's usb drive, so the drive can be mounted and Rsync'ed. Once the first Rsync job is complete, afterward, only changes would be copied. It would be very fast. Is there a specific time of day, when she's home and connected by WIFI to your LAN? (Would that be a good time to schedule an Rsync job?)
    You could also set the destination folder (on OMV) to be available (read only) as a SAMBA share, so she could see the share and copy back if she inadvertently deleted something. If she copies back from a Samba share, the file as it would be received, will have Windows attributes. (Just a thought.)

On imaging your flash drive:
    Unless you have software that's storing something on the USB drive (a bad practice), the only events where I worry about backing up are after OMV version changes OR after I've made significant configuration changes. (The latter would apply to you since you're probably refining your setup.)

Another quick note since you have a Linux client:
    If you want to upgrade Mint Linux without risk to your Linux client data and settings, your "home" folder should be in it's own partition. (And, while making sure to provide enough room for Mint in the root partition, your home folder / partition should take up the rest of the drive.) If you set up this way, upgrades or even reinstall's, won't clear the contents of "home". Since many software settings are stored in the "home" folder, your application settings may even port into later versions (like Amorka, as an example).

On the smart phones and I-Pad's:
    I'm pretty sure there are app's that will automatically back photo's, contacts, etc., up to your network. It's just a question of finding the right one.
    Personally, I've had both and I don't like either. They're too fragile, too easy to lose, and represent too many usability trade off's. When it comes to being portable, I'd rather have a netbook or a laptop, with a real keyboard, and a regular cell phone.

While I know you have your Wife to consider, working in the school system, we (my wife and I) may never see Win10. I've tested it and it's riddled with annoyances and MS spyware. I mean, they went so far as to say in the user agreement that they're going to use your data (under the auspices of "enhancing your user experience") and provide your data to 3rd parties. Ridiculous.
    One has go on the offense and install app's that stop the spying. No thanks.
    Frankly, other than "window dressing" (a few app's and the like) nothing has changed in the fundamentals of Windows since NT 3.51 server and workstation. After the user interface debacle in Win 8.1 and dropped support for certain types of server's, I've been turning away from Microsoft. Once I'm comfortable with Urbackup, after doing some bare metal restorations, I'm going to dump MS products. MS is becoming a pita :thumbdown: and having to pay for it really chap's my, um, nether regions.

(I'll get off the soap box now.. :rolleyes: )

• Offizieller Beitrag

Frankly, other than "window dressing" (a few app's and the like) nothing has changed in the fundamentals of Windows since NT 3.51 server and workstation. After the user interface debacle in Win 8.1 and dropped support for certain types of server's, I've been turning away from Microsoft. Once I'm comfortable with Urbackup, after doing some bare metal restorations, I'm going to dump MS products. MS is becoming a pita and having to pay for it really chap's my, um, nether regions.

I agree with you, on my W10 I have Spybots Anti-Beacon, I have to use a Windows O/S, two piece of software I use 'will/just' run under wine, but they can and have fallen over......but going back to OMV.....I really should do some pre planning....long story short, whilst OMV encompasses a lot of things I want to achieve, it turns out that there is an issue with Emby server under Debian Wheezy it doesn't pick up ffmpeg (even though you point to it during the setup) there is errant code in the command line. Yes it works, until you stop the service, update then restart all from the cli....it's been marked to be updated after I have tried 3 installs!!
    So over the last weekend I've gone back to Ubuntu Server 16.04, this works with Emby and I can set up the shares and get the data from my external 3Tb usb back to the server.....this works as it should....but....

Today is Sunday, if I had a brain I'd be dangerous ;) now I'm thinking rather set up another machine, even a Pi, if I were to use OMV v3 (which Emby works on albeit a script issue) this might be a better option.
    Run OMV v3 on the current set up but use usb's, mount them and run rysnc as and when I need too...it looks as if I could do this from within OMV's GUI, I don't need the schedule option for rysnc it can run whilst I'm working and I could use x number of usb's for each relevant rysnc job based upon what I'm backing up.

I've also found an app that will copy photo's from an iPad or iPhone, tested it on my iPhone and it worked well....tried to explain this to the wife ?( well let's just say climbing Mnt Everest would probably be easier :D

I'm now half way through restoring my movies and I'm seriously wondering if this is worth the effort and to bite the bullet and do OMV v3. Saying that webmin has a gui for managing a raid, so you can mark a drive as failed, then add a new drive....beats the cli option.

If you want to upgrade Mint Linux without risk to your Linux client data and settings, your "home" folder should be in it's own partition. (And, while making sure to provide enough room for Mint in the root partition, your home folder / partition should take up the rest of the drive.) If you set up this way, upgrades or even reinstall's, won't clear the contents of "home". Since many software settings are stored in the "home" folder, your application settings may even port into later versions (like Amorka, as an example).

Actually I'd never thought of that.....but it makes sense, I've got another laptop that I tested LinuxLite on and it works well, it has an Nvidia card and under Mint Cinnamon it wouldn't work.....turns out I should have used the Xfce version which LinuxLite runs on....live and learn.

Going on from restoring, I decided to have a play around, using cli, mounted the usb, then used rysnc to copy the movie files across....had to stop this copy a couple of times...I didn't create a mount folder under /mnt, then I forgot the / at the end of the path statement using rsync so it created a sub directory of Movies under Movies, however, I go there in the end. Gonna time this and see how long it takes, added to that I created my own smb.conf which was easier than I thought and it's cleaner rather than editing the default.

I won't be doing backups on a regular basis (unlike school) just when I know the data has changed, so a second usb to accompany my current 3Tb might be enough.

My real problem is Emby, I know it works under Ubuntu, Wheezy requires this errant command line parameter removing, and with Jessie, it doesn't stop gracefully but that is related to Jessie updates having an affect on Emby....Ok someone in the Emby community has come up with a fix, but understanding that is way out of my league.

What to do..... :/

On imaging your flash drive:

Unless you have software that's storing something on the USB drive (a bad practice), the only events where I worry about backing up are after OMV version changes OR after I've made significant configuration changes. (The latter would apply to you since you're probably refining your setup.)

I had thought originally about every couple of weeks.....then I should be able to get it down to monthly if not longer....I must admit I do turn things on and off like web based terminal...and I think why use it, stick with putty....I installed Docker but that errored, I have the file manager installed...don't like it not as functional as webmins file manager, every time I tried to copy or move something it would come up with 'failed', can't change permissions....ok all this can be done through cli but if someone who doesn't know/understand cli then they're going to get frustrated.

That's it I have Sunday dinner to get ready before the wolves start amassing at the door..... :D:D

• Offizieller Beitrag

(Back again!)

I really should do some pre planning....long story short, whilst OMV encompasses a lot of things I want to achieve, it turns out that there is an issue with Emby server under Debian Wheezy it doesn't pick up ffmpeg (even though you point to it during the setup) there is errant code in the command line. Yes it works, until you stop the service, update then restart all from the cli....it's been marked to be updated after I have tried 3 installs!!So over the last weekend I've gone back to Ubuntu Server 16.04, this works with Emby and I can set up the shares and get the data from my external 3Tb usb back to the server.....this works as it should....but....

My real problem is Emby, I know it works under Ubuntu, Wheezy requires this errant command line parameter removing, and with Jessie, it doesn't stop gracefully but that is related to Jessie updates having an affect on Emby....Ok someone in the Emby community has come up with a fix, but understanding that is way out of my league.

Other than a Web site drive by, I have no idea what Emby is / does. It looks like something similar to a media player that handles video files and, as you mentioned, transcodes for "devices". Being older than civilization, and without the convenience of media library software back in the day, I developed a system of folders, sub-dir's, etc., that makes sense to me, so I do video (movies and such) manually. If I have to convert something, I use HandBrake.

In any case, Debian/Jessie is in wide use. Accordingly, I can't imagine that the Emby developers would let the hanging process bug linger for long. But, if you must run a Ubuntu server. 16.04 :D (Just kidding. Transcoding would be out of the question. Now the Odroid...)

What to do.....

Did you say that Emby works on OMV 3.0 with a script? I'm using OMV 3.0 but I stopped upgrading at 3.0.68. After that, the next upgrade wiped out my Rsync jobs. (Just the job's, not the data.) I went back to my backup made BEFORE the upgrade, until I get around to fixing my Rsync job's in the later version. After they're rebuilt, I shouldn't have to do it again. (It has something to do with the way external media is referenced. "/srv" versus "/media")

In any case, if Emby works in OMV 3.x, that's the easiest route. I'd probably do it but, for the reason stated above, I would backup before ANY upgrades.

On the RAID thing, if you read the other thread, I did some experimenting with RAID1 and 5 in the GUI and on the CLI. (OMV ver 3.x)

Specifically, using the following commands worked like a charm for growing a RAID5 array. In my case, I added a 4th drive to a 3 drive array (using the add command) and integrated the drive into the array which enlarged it (using the grow command). Easy.
    mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sde
    mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=4

The complete list of mdadm commands can be had from the CLI with mdadm --help
    (And there's all sorts of Linux community help out there.)

If you want to manually fail a drive, which would put an existing spare on line, the following command applies:
    mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdc
    (Make sure to mark the right device. Once the flag is set, I believe you'd have to wipe the drive to use it again.)

Lastly, where RAID is concerned, I've found that mdadm commands won't break OMV's GUI. After mdadm command implementation, OMV simply provides status updates, to include the progress of rebuilds and reshaping.
    **One thing was obvious, before adding a new drive to an array - the drive must be wiped under <Physical Disks>.**

Finally, I did a fresh OMV rebuild where an existing RIAD5 array, from a prior install, was accepted and mounted.

After testing a VM of OMV 2.1 for RAID function, I'm planning on filing an OMV bug report on the ver 3.X RAID / GUI problem. Since I'm virtually certain that the GUI is simply issuing mdadm commands, there's no reason why it's not working as it should in OMV 3. Hopefully, for those who use RIAD, they'll fix the GUI issue.

....I must admit I do turn things on and off like web based terminal...and I think why use it, stick with putty....I installed Docker but that errored, I have the file manager installed...don't like it not as functional as webmins file manager, every time I tried to copy or move something it would come up with 'failed', can't change permissions....ok all this can be done through cli but if someone who doesn't know/understand cli then they're going to get frustrated.

Like you, when I first spun OMV up,I turned a few things on and off. I tried the minimal Xfce desktop. It was so impaired, the command line seemed easier. I also tried the CLI in a window, "shellinabox". You're right. In comparison, putty was more flexible and seemed easy to read. I do use Midnight Commander (mc) from the command line. It's one the best text based (but still graphical) command line file managers available.

I installed MC on the R-PI and in a VM. It's a no issues program that runs from a root terminal so you won't experience access issues. Here's the commands:

apt-get updateapt-get install mcOnce it's done, type mc on the command line and be amazed.
    It's truly remarkable to have a mouse clickable GUI in a terminal window. :thumbup:

I really try to minimize arbitrarily adding things now. Even Linux may leave traces of old program files, folders, and, much worse, configuration files when something is removed. I found that Linux will use, for example, "X" configuration file as the default --- "IF" another configuration file is NOT in some other specified location with a specific name. If the other configuration file exists, it overrides the standard default. (The boneheads that think this stuff up, usually in the name of backward compatibility, will call it a "feature".) That kind of nonsense is maddening when it causes weird problems that the Linux NOOB (me) doesn't understand. So now, I'm using VM's for testing purposes. Take a VM snap shot, bone it up, restore the snap shot, add to the list of "don't do that again" and on to next use case.
    Essentially, I've stopped experimenting with my running platforms because data drives are exposed and at risk.

BTW: If you decide to use an R-PI 3, you're going to need this. Heat Sink (It's less than 1 USD with shipping, on this side of the pond.) The way you would be using an R-PI, you'd need it.
    I read a side by side review, of the R-PI 2 and 3 where the reviewer had a non-contact thermal imager / thermometer. The 2 version had no problem, but performance is understandably slower. However, with sustained high CPU utilization, the R-PI 3 can reach temps that will lock it up. With the heat sink, it was fine.

Now, since your wife happens to a teacher and,, you're "over there", tell me your opinion of one of your Brit TV shows, "Catastrophe". My wife and I like that one. :) Have you seen it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, I take it you had a break?

Emby is like Plex it's a Home Theatre, but in my opinion is superior to Plex I like it's front end, and it you subscribe, again like Plex you can stream to other devices. My Pi2B runs Kodi in the lounge and as there is a plugin for Kodi within Emby it syncs your collections to Kodi, it all works flawlessly.

Going back to OMV, I dug out my old laptop, found a small hard drive and installed OMV v3....hhhhmmmm!! interesting, for one docker works :thumbup: which means adding Emby to a docker container was easy...I like easy. So I can resolve Emby which is great, ffmpeg needs installing but that can done from CLI or the installation of the apttool no biggie.
    There are 2 things that OMV lacks (and this is my opinion) from say an end user using mainly a Windows environment and looking at functionality of other distro's and that is; a) web based functional file manager, where you can copy/paste, change permissions, edit conf files etc. b) an mdadm plugin that allows you to manage your raid should a drive fail, without resorting to the CLI, which some end users would find rather daunting.

If I look at Ubuntu server with Webmin...this has Filemin a web based file manager, mdadm front end allows you to remove and replace a failed drive; however, it does not have rysnc, there a is a module syncmin and I've tried that.....so far, to me it's a pile of doo doo, unless I tell it to sync from the root of a folder i.e. /media/Volume1/Movies/ so it copies the total directory structure it seems to strip everything away so what you end up with is a jumble of directories and files.

Nas4Free was my last foray into nas storage, this works great, has zfs built in, raid maintenance is done from the gui and rysnc, has an intuitive file manager again web based....however, Emby had to installed from the cli (no biggie, but I then started having issues when updates came and the base O/S remained static), the other option was to use The Brig, but again this fell over as Emby developed and The Brig was running FreeBsd backports. They now have the option to install a VM, but my hardware is not good enough.

So getting back to the matter in hand....OMV 3 will run Emby in a Docker container, it has rysnc built in....on the point of a web based file manager....I have installed and tried MC via shellinabox....don't like it...sorry not for me...I have downloaded qiuixplorer which is what Nas4Free uses, and I've been trying to get my head around the set up read me....this should be simple, as I used to do the school's website, but I'm on a mental block. I have noticed comments on here that most use FTP, Ok Filezilla, WinSCP no problem...again I must be going through a mental block...allow superuser in OMV FTP using either Filezilla or WinSCP, yes I can connect but I can only get to root's home folder, I can't get to the root file system!!
    I tried the xfe as well, tried that once before on an Ubuntu set up....hogs resources, I ended having to kill it from the cli.

So OMV 3 has possibilities, for what I need and I wish I could code or at least understand it, I could then look at the things I want it too achieve and develop something. I'll give you a couple of examples take a simple smb conf file this is from my Ubuntu server;

#=========================Global Settings ========================#
    [global]
    workgroup = HOME
    server string = Ubuntu File Media Server
    netbiosname = homenas
    sercurity = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    map to guest = bad user
    guest account = nobody
    dns proxy = no

guest ok = yes
    force user = geoff
    force group = sambashare

#===========================Share Definitions======================#

[TvShows]
    comment = Tv Shows for Emby
    path = /media/Volume1/TvShows
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[Movies]
    comment = Movies for Emby
    path = /media/Volume1/Movies
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[EmbyServer]
    comment = Emby Server Metadata
    path = /media/Volume1/EmbyServer
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

[SuzisFiles]
    comment = Suzis File Storage
    path = /media/Volume2/SuzisFiles
    browsable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes

Ok everything is a guest set up, I've not set up the restricted shares yet, I've set no masks on these but I could have done

This is from OMV 2

#======================= Global Settings =======================
    [global]
    workgroup = HOME
    server string = omv server
    dns proxy = no
    log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog only = yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    guest account = nobody
    load printers = no
    disable spoolss = yes
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    unix extensions = yes
    wide links = no
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    map to guest = Bad User
    use sendfile = yes
    aio read size = 16384
    aio write size = 16384
    null passwords = yes
    local master = no
    time server = no
    wins support = no

#======================= Share Definitions =======================
    [EmbyMetadata]
    comment = Emby Metadata
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/EmbyMetadata/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no
    ea support = no
    store dos attributes = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force directory mode = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[TvShows]
    comment = Tv Shows for Emby
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/TvShows/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[Movies]
    comment = Movie Files for Emby
    path = /media/184eddd3-7e2f-474c-ba30-6f963f553a1b/Movies/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = yes
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

[SuzisFiles]
    comment = Suzis school files
    path = /media/7e9c7264-5965-4f9d-aa15-36ef14524c4a/SuzisFiles/
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no
    ea support = no
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    force create mode = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list =

Hugely different, but this was also me trying to get the shares accessible, particularly in W10......why have everything set as guest, well it means the kids can access it and download movies if they want too.....and with the wife, I don't need to climb everest for her to get access to her files.

Don't you love computers, you can curse and swear at them, threaten them and they don't answer you back :D unless you use Cortana, but I've pulled her plug :P

TV now that was a curved ball....never heard of Catastrophe....it's on the 'other' channel....Channel 4...most of our viewing is done on the BBC...no adverts, if I want something on the other channels I record it that way I can skip the ads....but most of my recording is either Sky 1 or Sky Atlantic which are mostly American series :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the TV Show:
    I mentioned Catastrophe because there's an American (the man) and a UK school teacher, who married the American because she got pregnant. Now they have kid's and all that. As you might imagine, their lives are a rolling catastrophe. (Sometimes I wonder where writers get their material. I imagine some of it is based in real life.) In any case it's shows like this, where everyone is dysfunction to an extreme, that make the rest of us feel normal.

I have to say that I find it humorous, in the way you refer to "4" as the "other channel". In the US, the networks who broadcast "over-the-air", cable and satellite operators, and those who are streaming on-line have created another kind of entertainment environment altogether.

Hi, I take it you had a break?

No. We're renovating a new house. (Well, new to us.) It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive from here. We're spending about half our time there. Since we don't have internet access activated at the new place, I post from here.

On your shares - it's fairly apparent that the bulk of your data is video.
    Just make sure your router is not allowing external connections to port 80, 20, etc. Sharing internally is the idea but, with unpassworded shares, you might be exposed if your router is allowing traffic "in" to well known ports. If something is open, your box might be high-jacked.
    Kids WILL punch holes in your routers' firewall for games. Watch the little buggers!
    (**Note "bugger" is not profane in the US. Here, it denotes a "small critter". :- )

On the Linux thing, nearly all variants have support for RAID, Rsync, SAMBA, etc. But when it comes to GUI's and avoiding the command line (so we can continue to be NOOB's), well,, "that" is where we are in trying to pick something. OMV works fine for me. In your case, your requirements are more complicated.

Oh, and when I said something about running OMV in a VM, I mean running OMV as a guest OS in Virtual Box. I have a client with decent horsepower and 12GB ram so OMV's modest requirements are easy to supply. While it takes time, in a VM, you can put OMV through it's paces. (Shares I've set up in the OMV VM appear on my network and work as they should.) And while I'm sure they'll get around to fixing the RAID GUI in OMV 3.X, using the OMV VM, I found the CLI to be easy to deal with in the RAID arena.

BTW: I tested the command line for manually marking a drive as "failed"

mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdf

It worked fine. With a spare installed, the array automatically rebuilt.

(While I have SAMBA set up, but inactive.)
    Looking at your SAMBA shares makes me think of external connections again. Don't allow external access to well known ports on your LAN! (Sorry for repeating that. ;) )

On swearing at computers:
    Since we stream most of our news and use them for other forms of entertainment, computers are integrated into our way of life. On the other hand, it's a miracle that they work at all. With millions (billions?) of low level transactions taking place in sub-second intervals, even the best bit-error-rates would be disastrous. So, they design in error correction, which still is not absolute or, really, enough. If I was to characterize PC's as I see them, they're a patch, on a patch, on a patch, on a patch,,,,

So, while I really don't worry about it, I tend to look at these things with my fingers crossed and hope that, when I get something to work, nothing goes wrong. This is why I strongly believe in backup.

Complex systems, of any kind, have one inexorable outcome in their future(s). "Failure".

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are 2 things that OMV lacks (and this is my opinion) from say an end user using mainly a Windows environment and looking at functionality of other distro's and that is; a) web based functional file manager, where you can copy/paste, change permissions, edit conf files etc.

Oh Man geaves, have I found something for you (and me)!

You want a file manager that works like windows explorer for linux with, copy, paste, permissions etc.? You've got to download and install WinSCP. It's a windows app that connects to remote hosts VIA SSH! That means you can change permissions, copy and paste, etc., as "root", from a windows or other desktop client! Also, you can copy to / from the remote host and your windows machine or even between two remote hosts. The icing on the cake is, it will even import your SSH connection lists from putty! (You log in as root, give the password and you're there.) This makes file handling (even in unforgiving Linux) a breeze.

It - is - awesome!

You have to give it a spin and tell me what you think. WinSCP

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did see a comment relating to this in the FTP section when someone asked about a file manager, so I downloaded it enabled FTP in OMV, connected...yeah Ok but I'm guessing this just got me into the root home folder.As I don't usually read help files and I very rarely do RTFM I gave up on it.
    Having read your comment above and a quick 'winscp using ssh' it does indeed use the key generated by the ssh connection without enabling anything else in OMV. So I have this working, :thumbup: and like SSH you can get to the root of the file system.
    TBH I very rarely use the file manager in Webmin on Ubuntu, unless I've made a complete 'pigs ear' of something or I want to change permission settings say for Emby Server. Like the other day I was trying rsync on a samba share which contains Emby's metadata, the share holds 2 directories with multiple sub directories....well the third time of trying I got it right!! The first two I had managed to extract the sub directories into the target....so the file manager saved the day as there were other folders in the target I did not want to delete.
    I have to admit this WinSCP is an excellent substitute, I had been trying to find out how nas4free had integrated QuiXplorer as this can change permissions, edit files, copy/paste etc.
    Technically this should not be needed for the average home user setting up a straightforward nas box, I just find this method more intuitive than the cli option. So I could look toward OMV v3 and only have to deal with mdadm from the command line....should I have too. That means a reinstall and a complete set up of the raids...no biggie.

How's your renovation going? I am a total non diyer, give a dishwasher, washing machine, cooker and I'll take it apart and repair it.....give me a piece of wood and you'd be lucky to get a garden stake :D I hate flat pack with a passion but I will figure it out....I can paint, but wallpapering is down to wife she's has a lot more patience.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Technically this should not be needed for the average home user setting up a straightforward nas box, I just find this method more intuitive than the cli option. So I could look toward OMV v3 and only have to deal with mdadm from the command line....should I have too. That means a reinstall and a complete set up of the raids...no biggie.

Well, one could argue that the average home owner should buy a ready made NAS solution. If one chooses a route that's free, a bit of self help is usually required. Further, what you're doing is not what the typical homeowner would do. The majority of folks out there, even in the younger generations, are not technically inclined.

In any case, what I really like about WinSCP is that, among all of it's other features, it's possible to edit a config file in place. (I can use NANO but it's not the easiest tool, if one is not used to it.)

On mdadm commands, I think they'll fix this in OMV eventually, but I was really surprised at how straight forward it was to use the command line. In fact, if I ever run RAID (which I tend to doubt) I'd probably do if from the CLI to be absoluty sure of what I'd be getting.

How's your renovation going? I am a total non diyer, give a dishwasher, washing machine, cooker and I'll take it apart and repair it.....give me a piece of wood and you'd be lucky to get a garden stake :D I hate flat pack with a passion but I will figure it out....I can paint, but wallpapering is down to wife she's has a lot more patience.

At work, back in the day, they called me MacGyver because, when I traveled, if something was needed and if I couldn't find a replacement, I'd fabricate a solution. (Some of that comes from farm living, popsicle sticks, bubble gum and baling wire.)

Really, building is not rocket science. When it comes to building, I can do (pretty much) all of it. (Framing, roofing,plumbing, wiring, cement work, etc.) I've been adding skills sets over time. When I need to do things I haven't done before, I get out of a book and / or get some advice from my brother-in-law. (He does this stuff for a living.) Don't get me wrong. It takes time to develop "technique", which makes things go much faster, and gain "experience", which helps one find a solution for a problem, but it's not hard. It just takes time, patience, and tenacity, especially when doing these things alone. (A crew of one.)

The reno' is going well. The last major project completed, a week ago, was a new roof. My last "big" project was a small barn - 2 floors, 16X24', 19' tall, with a gambrill roof. This was built at the new place by me and, when I needed a second set of hands, my wife. While I have a small 1 bag cement mixer and an air nailer, no heavy equipment was used. (And, yes, I made my own trusses.)

I think the hardest project, because of all the skill sets required, was the kitchen addition at this house. I converted a porch (completely gutting it in the process) into an extension of the kitchen. The trickiest part of that project was the cabinets. (Never done them before. Work tolerances are a 1/16th" to absolute max of 1/8". Tight!). Also, making sure that the new floor exactly matched the height of the old floor AND "level" was, well, "unnerving". (I wanted it within an 1/8", or less. Anything larger would be visible.)
    At the new place, right now, I'm doing tile work which I've never done before. I added 3/4 " to the sub-floor (using Advantech, glued and screwed). Then I used thin set mortar to lay down cement board. Now I'm ready for tile. (I came home to make a few tools for the tile job. I need to buy a couple items as well.)
    Next will come more cement board (thicker), vertical this time, for corner walls and a faux stone covering for those walls. And all of this is for installing a wood stove. Safety first! The area must be laid out to support the weight without flexing, and be absolutely fire proof. (The masonry chimney is already built.)
    The rest will be, drywalling and painting the kitchen area (most of the rewiring is done), cabinets (I'm buying them this time) and counter work, kitchen and hallway flooring, all new windows (whole house), two new doors, interior trim work, and residing.

For now, I'm taking a short 2 or 3 day break.

• Offizieller Beitrag

After giving thought to an Odriod-Ux4 or maybe an Udoo X86, I found that the total expense for the hubs and other doo-dads, adds up. So, I broke down and spent $225 on a Thinkserver which has all the features I'm looking for. It makes more sense. Here's the link. (I checked the link. The price must have went up a bit. I got it for $225!)

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A40037UX 4U Tower Server Intel Core i3-4150 3.5Ghz

When run headless, it's supposed to be power efficient.

Anyway, I got an extra 4 Gig ram for it off of Ebay. If I don't run ZFS, 8GB should be enough. (Actually 8GB should be enough, even with ZFS.) I'm going to experiment with it a bit, then buy a pair of 4TB drives for hosting data and imaging clients. Once it all works the way I want it (and after verifying UrBackup with a few real world, bare metal, client disaster recoveries), I'm going to dump Windows server. They don't support there stuff anymore and I get better answers to technical issues on the forum. It's about time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@flmaxey

Looks as if I've some catching up to do.....not been a good place over the last week + I'm sure the Head (Principle) where I look after the IT is a reincarnation of Boudicca, Attilla the Hun, Genghis Khan all rolled into one....added to that I'm trying to sort my own bits having finally got OMV v3 installed.

Back soon :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, one could argue that the average home owner should buy a ready made NAS solution. If one chooses a route that's free, a bit of self help is usually required. Further, what you're doing is not what the typical homeowner would do. The majority of folks out there, even in the younger generations, are not technically inclined.

I would agree, even I have wondered if the ready made option would make a good solution.

In any case, what I really like about WinSCP is that, among all of it's other features, it's possible to edit a config file in place. (I can use NANO but it's not the easiest tool, if one is not used to it.)
    On mdadm commands, I think they'll fix this in OMV eventually, but I was really surprised at how straight forward it was to use the command line. In fact, if I ever run RAID (which I tend to doubt) I'd probably do if from the CLI to be absoluty sure of what I'd be getting.

I've got WinSCP sorted so that was bonus, and have been doing some research regarding mdadm, I agree it is fairly straightforward, I'm puuting together a reference for myself for future. If they add a GUI option to OMV for mdadm that would be a bonus.

At work, back in the day, they called me MacGyver because, when I traveled, if something was needed and if I couldn't find a replacement, I'd fabricate a solution. (Some of that comes from farm living, popsicle sticks, bubble gum and baling wire.)

Sounds like my late father, could turn his hand to anything even if he had not done it before, I remember when we moved house, he decided to build a workshop at the bottom of the garden....a brick built workshop!! This required the local labour force aged 14, 13, and 12 to move thousands of brick's, mix concrete, cement by hand....needless to say this was achieved over weekends and holidays. For someone who had never laid a brick installed electrics etc it was excellent, and he had four times the work space than at the previous house.
    I suppose if I look back at what my wife and I did at our last property we did a fair bit of 'construction' in the garden at our last house, and most of that was due to that fact the garden slopped from back to front and from right to left......so we had to dig footings and lay foundations just to get a level concrete base to erect a shed....then there was the retaining wall to extend the patio. Then there was the kitchen remodel....so I suppose I can do when I want too :) Your barn looks very impressive :thumbup:

I looked up the price of that Lenovo Thinkserver, that's £400 + in the UK...... 8o

Well I finally got OMV 3 installed and everything working.....installed the apt tool...excellent plugin to install Emby....managed to sort out rsync to copy files etc from the usb, if I can't figure something out I may have a question later, but all in all it does what I need it to do....the only issue I had was the notifications my isp uses port 457 which requires a further layer for communication/authentication, so I've used my outlook account instead which works.

Currently working through some issues regarding the school I do IT support for, but I'll explain that in another post....just to get your thoughts on what happened and it's final outcome....which I get the impression is not over yet....politically.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked up the price of that Lenovo Thinkserver, that's £400 + in the UK...... 8o

400+ quid!!! You have got to be kidding! That's over $500 USD Wow...
    The last time I heard of something that outrageous,, the locals were dumping tea in the harbor! (Oh,, um,, sorry... :rolleyes: )

Currently working through some issues regarding the school I do IT support for, but I'll explain that in another post....just to get your thoughts on what happened and it's final outcome....which I get the impression is not over yet....politically.

Man, the "stuff" that goes on in public education can be appalling. In the US the cost of K-12 education, per student, is 3x more than it was when I got my high school diploma back in the day. Back then, we were #1 in the world. Now (at 3 times the cost), math and science scores (i.e. hard education) are down. Now, we're somewhere in mid to high 20's in achievement. In the US, as it seems, when government digs its' fingers into anything, it becomes increasingly expensive while performance continually drops. (It's inversely proportional. The more it costs, the less one gets.)

And, as a sole point of focus in solving the problem, it's not teachers. Like any occupation, there are some problems there but I believe those issues are fixable. I believe the majority of problems in public education are (#1) political and (#2) management. Unfortunately, the problems with management in education, at all levels, stem from the problems created by politics.

I'll be interesting in what you have to say on this topic.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And, as a sole point of focus in solving the problem, it's not teachers. Like any occupation, there are some problems there but I believe those issues are fixable. I believe the majority of problems in public education are (#1) political and (#2) management. Unfortunately, the problems with management in education, at all levels, stem from the problems created by politics.

I'll be interesting in what you have to say on this topic.

I would agree, the government in the uk has changed school curriculum on a regular basis over the last few years simply because they are 'falling behind' in world league tables, and it's up to local education and teachers to deliver that change.
    As my wife always says some changes do work, but some of those changes can take a whole school year before they become effective. She taught was is known as eyfs for 14 years...4 year olds, by the time they left her to go to the next year group they were expected to rewrite War and Peace.

My wife's biggest beef is with parents...some don't help their children at home, whilst other's want 'little Johnny' to move onto another reading book because he can read War and Peace. She tries to explain whilst he can read it he doesn't understand what he is reading....big difference...but not to a parent.

In primary school (4-11 year olds) the subject range is unbelievable half the stuff I don't understand, they are now taught French from the age of 4....PSHE is another subject brought in over the last decade, some terminology in maths has changed....english...well my english grammar was never too hot anyway but today I struggle understanding what she is teaching. Phonics is the big thing at the moment.....well having looked that up on Wiki I was lost in the first paragraph so there's no hope for me.

My wife is in school from 7:30 and doesn't get home much before 6:00, then some of her weekend is spent planning for the following week and any marking she's not done in school....so her average 'school week' can be approaching 60 hours.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway back to what I know, or what I think I know.......

Ok, installed v3, everything set up connected usb and mounted it...to get rsync to work (to get data off the usb to my omv shares) I worked out that I had to create shares within omv pointing to each of the folders I wanted to copy......no problem rsync worked like a charm and all the data was back on omv where it should be.

However, this is the part I don't understand, on Windoze you plug in a usb drive and it automounts and you can use, I never just unplug I always eject it from the system tray. On any Linux distro you have to 'mount' the usb so the system can see it, no biggie.......but, when I finished my rsync the only way I could unmount it was to remove the shares I had created so that I could safely unmount then unplug the usb.
    So question.......In a Linux environment is it Ok just to unplug the usb without harming the drive and then just plug it back in when needed for another rsync....or am do I need to utilise one of the plugins which will allow an automount. What I don't want to do is to leave the usb connected to the server thereby having it in constant use. The reason is I want to be able to use different usb drive's to rsync specific data.

End of dumb question :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would agree, the government in the uk has changed school curriculum on a regular basis over the last few years simply because they are 'falling behind' in world league tables, and it's up to local education and teachers to deliver that change.As my wife always says some changes do work, but some of those changes can take a whole school year before they become effective. She taught was is known as eyfs for 14 years...4 year olds, by the time they left her to go to the next year group they were expected to rewrite War and Peace.

My wife's biggest beef is with parents...some don't help their children at home, whilst other's want 'little Johnny' to move onto another reading book because he can read War and Peace. She tries to explain whilst he can read it he doesn't understand what he is reading....big difference...but not to a parent.

Bounce the following off of your wife. I'm curious about her take on it.

I agree that a major part of the problem is "parents" but I'd still argue that even the "parent" factor is political. What am I getting at? After my birth father died (he was a sole parent back before there was such a thing as day care), I ended up back with my birth mother and a stepfather. (She remarried, but did not remarry "well".) Neither of the two were "educated". They never helped me, or my step brother and sisters, with homework. (I didn't need their help, thankfully, because I surpassed their capabilities before I meet them, at age 10.) However we, the children, knew better than to come home with a failing grade. "A price" would be paid, if we did. If a child got really out of hand, back in the day, they were suspended. And OMG, if a parent missed work because of a misbehaving kid, in most cases, there was a domestic "apocalypse". Regardless, if the parent didn't care, after the child was given a chance or three by the school, they were permanently "expelled".

With that said, life experience has taught me that you can't save people from themselves. If they want to wreak their own lives, in a truly free society, they can. Otherwise, if one is prevented from damaging themselves because of the indirect effects it may have on others, that is a society of "drones". (Actually, one could argue, it's a soft form of slavery.)
    Another thought along these lines:
    I once heard a Russian Comedian extolling the wonders and virtues of America. He said, "in America, police yell <STOP> and fire warning shots!" And he was smiling, shaking his head in disbelief and looking for laughter. Everyone was confused. He pretended, finally, to notice the confusion and goes "dead pan". He said; "Oh, let me explain... In Russia they shoot you... That's a warning for the next guy."

While no one wants to acknowledge it, with our collective heads in the sand, there is a place in society for non-conformers in sewage plants and in other nasty and undesirable jobs. These folks become living examples of what "not to do". So yes, if a child refuses to conform and their parents don't care, they should be expelled. That could start them down a bad road but I'd argue, in the big scheme of things, it's impossible to prevent a few from falling through the cracks. (I.E. you can't save people from themselves and there must be consequences for bad behavior.) Teachers can't possibly hold a class together with a constant disciplinary disruption. The other children, the majority, suffer if discipline or extreme emotional problems are not dealt with. Further it's not their job to be a parent. They're there, primarily, to teach. That's what they should be doing.

So what am I getting at? How is this now political? These days, the system rewards bad behavior. And note that simply ignoring bad behavior is a reward in itself, in that there's no penalty. It all goes back to simply psychology and Pavlov's dogs.
    Back in the day, if we misbehaved, the school would "paddle" us. (And in my case, much worse would be felt at home.) Discipline, whether it's from a school or a father "works". These days, because of politics, schools will not discipline anymore.
    These days, because of silly notions in society, a father is prevented from disciplining his own children. (It's grown to be a real touchy subject.) And partly because we now have an entire generation of men who were raised by women (thanks to the dole programs and other notions of "I will do what I want to do" instead of what's responsible), we now have a generation of men who are effeminate. They don't know how to be men because they've never lived with a masculine example. By extension, in modern times, even if a family is whole, the father tends to allow the mother to raise their children, pretty much, hands off. Finally, again thanks to "enlightened society", a mothers role has shifted from being a "parent" toward being a "friend". That's a big mistake because a parent is an "authority figure" where a friend is an "equal". Being a parent "first" is the most important thing one can do for their children. If the child is mature enough to handle it, as they get older, sliding a bit toward being a friend is OK. (I would call that a reward for a parenting job well done.)

Getting back to education. Teachers are now trying to raise children in the class, but are hopelessly restricted from doing so without some form of discipline, at school or at home. As a result of what I outlined above; parents who refuse to discipline their children and dare anyone else to do it, while also refusing to be a parent by trying to be a friend to their children, are creating a classroom nightmare for teachers. (In the US, some teachers are beat up by students and they're not even allowed to defend themselves!) Management won't back teachers up because politicians won't backup school management with reasonable laws, which keep nonsense law suits (brought about by some fruit-loop parent) out of court. "That" is the political tie in.

The above is but one example of the serious, but solvable, problems in education. There are other equally serious issues such as "mainstreaming" concept where underperforming students are kept in classes with high performing students, in the hope that it will help the underperforming students do better. (I.E. "no student left behind".) Preposterous. No student left behind means no student can get ahead. The drag created by one or two students who don't "get it", holds back the majority. So what happens to test scores? It's obvious.

Unfortunately, unless the underlying problems are dealt with, I suspect that US and UK will not make further progress in
    public education. I simply don't see it getting better. I think it will get worse, potentially, far worse. Further, I tend to believe concerned parents on both sides of the pond will start migrating toward privately ran education facilities where political interference is much lower and teachers have the needed latitude and control over the classroom to "education".
    (I don't, necessarily, expect your wife to agree with this sentiment.)

Oh, and if I have a few spelling and grammar faux pas's in the above, remember, I'm in a frontier colony. We don't speak (or write) the Queen's English over here. :rolleyes:

(I'm trying to figure an angle, in all this, that ties into OMV.)

Oh yeah, all I could find for the USB drive mounting issue was a Debian program called USBmount . This one would mean the command line and consulting its "man" page for configuration details if something special i needed. (I.E. an ugly process so let's hope nothing custom is required.) It's also limited to vfat. I don't know if you have NTFS on the USB drive. Further, in the linux world, I don't know if the term "vfat" covers NTFS. All I do know is that the typical thumbdrive works. (I just tested it.)

There's another solution that uses udev and autofs. This is probably a better fit for what you need but, again, the process is on the CLI and it seems complicated. However there's a step by step guide. -> auto mounting

So, eventually, you should be able to support your wife's school files! (There's the tie in!)

I have my own issue with my new server. It's running the same version of Samba, as my virtual machine and my R-PI. I have everything configured the same way throughout, shared folders, Samba shares, with the same permissions (folders and samba), options, etc., (hence, I've done this before) but I can't access a Samba share from the new box on the network. I see the icon but can't get in.
    (And it's not a firewall issue. I'm using the same client to access the shares on all servers. It works on 2 servers, but not the new box.)
    I'd like to think it has something to do with the way OMV names data drive paths, after 3.0.68, (path not found), but other than a few weird log entries, I can't prove it and my VM has the latest OMV version. It works fine. I've even rebuilt the new servers boot drive from scratch. The only thing that's truly different is the hardware platform and that makes no sense at all.
    (Intel 64, built with an AMD64 image?)
    I suppose, the next step is formatting the data drive and starting the entire build process over, from scratch. I've got to sift through the build and config details, one by one, turn up the Samba logging level and sift through that minutia, and actually turn the firewall off (to eliminate something weird). After that, I'll try version 2.1
    What a pain in the axx.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok lets look at the important stuff.... ;) it's not something simple like 'domain name' in the omv network or a missing workgroup name in samba....I had something similar then realised my error.....and built with AMD64 that's usual I just put it down to naming.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok lets look at the important stuff.... ;) it's not something simple like 'domain name' in the omv network or a missing workgroup name in samba....I had something similar then realised my error.....and built with AMD64 that's usual I just put it down to naming.

Oh no, I do my domain name by default, when I build. And while it's not the same thing, I also know that the right Windows workgroup name must be entered in the samba config for windows clients to see the server. (And my name is not "workgroup". I can't spell it out here because, while small, it is a security item.) If I had the workgroup name wrong, the server wouldn't show up on the net and I wouldn't be able to see the samba shared folder icon. I can see the server and the share. I just can't get into it as if it's a permission issue, and it's not a permissions issue.
    After replicating known good, working, samba settings (literally in two windows, on two monitors, side by side), I blew open the base OMV share and the samba share by giving everyone "write" access. (mask 777) Still, nothing.
    I have yet to set samba logging to "every nit picking thing". That's next, along with a copy and paste of the log file(s) into a word processor for some extensive searching and pattern matching.

On the builds, it used to be that AMD64, was literally AMD64. (AMD64 only) Now it means AMD64 or Intel64, I think. I'm fairly certain that i386 builds are for 32bit processors only. I'm going to run that down.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the builds, it used to be that AMD64, was literally AMD64. (AMD64 only) Now it means AMD64 or Intel64, I think. I'm fairly certain that i386 builds are for 32bit processors only. I'm going to run that down.

That's right that's how images are named in Linux....but that's what I've found.

Good luck with the samba debugging as yet I can't get anything to work.....Oh and I tried the usb backup plugin that's a no go as well....looks as I'm going to have to do this option manually each time.

Have you compared the smb.conf files from the new server and one that's working?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!