The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pi-Hole>>>Settings>>>DNS>>>>Custom 192.168.1.40#53

You don't need to specify port 53. That is the default DNS port.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to specify port 53. That is the default DNS port.

Then I have another problem, because even if I change that, save, it still returns and I get the dns_probe_bad_config.

I'm sure my pi-hole set up is upset, just had a docker timed out when checking in the gui, because pi-hole was not responding...almost as if it had restarted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

EDIT:
    The other thing I noticed was that the interface in pi-hole is set at eth0, even though I reinstalled pi-hole once I got the N54L running and it's network interface....further investigation of 01-pihole.conf in /dockerparms/pihole/dnsmasq.d has the setting as interface=eth0, eth0 was from the last server.

My setup, on the latest pi-hole in Docker (ver 4.0), is eth0 as well. Remember, pi-hole (in a Docker) is running in a type of vm where the Ethernet interface might still be eth0. You'd have to get in on the CLI, inside the Docker, with ip add to see the result.

W10 ipconfig /flushdns, test web access, error DNS_PROBE_BAD_CONFIG :(

So either I'm setting up something incorrectly, or there is something array with my setup, but I don't know what.

Is it just W10? Did another client work? (Since I'm over at the new place, all I have on-line is W7. I haven't tested W10 yet.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it just W10? Did another client work?

Just tried W7, but I had to do a release and renew....This page can't be displayed, stop unbound and remove the pi-hole setting and check google and cloudflare and it's works again!

So it's either my pi-hole set up or using omv's ip address isn't the solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're using OMV's DNS plugin (as I remember) where I am not. Perhaps the plugin is conflicting with unbound.

Did you ever figure out a workaround for the DHCP issue? (Caused by your ISP's router as I recall.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're using OMV's DNS plugin (as I remember) where I am not. Perhaps the plugin is conflicting with unbound.

Did you ever figure out a workaround for the DHCP issue? (Caused by your ISP's router as I recall.)

Yes I am, and the only reason is because my isp's router does not allow a dns entry only ddns....this is looking more toward using the Pi for Pi-Hole and maintaining OMV's DNS plugin on the my main OMV box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes I am, and the only reason is because my isp's router does not allow a dns entry only ddns....this is looking more toward using the Pi for Pi-Hole and maintaining OMV's DNS plugin on the my main OMV box.

Why not enable dhcp on your pi-hole box? I am. Then you don't need the dns plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why not enable dhcp on your pi-hole box? I am. Then you don't need the dns plugin.

So run the plugin on my Pi and not on the main OMV box. The Pi is currently throwing a wobble doing an apt clean, so trying to sort that out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So run the plugin on my Pi and not on the main OMV box.

No. I am saying don't use the dnsmasq plugin at all. Enable DHCP in pi-hole. Settings -> DHCP lets you enable it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Enable DHCP in pi-hole. Settings -> DHCP lets you enable it.

I tried that a couple of times and for some reason the settings would fail....like changing the custom dns entry first I tried 192.168.1.40#5353, then 192.168.1.40#53, saving after each change, then after your comment to not add the port reference 192.168.1.40>>>Save only for it to reappear as 192.168.1.40#53.
    The same happened when I tried to alter the dhcp scope, made the changes>>>Save but it displayed the previous settings, it was as if it was ghosting. Even cleared the browser and tried on Edge, which I never use, the same outcome.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried that a couple of times and for some reason the settings would fail....like changing the custom dns entry first I tried 192.168.1.40#5353, then 192.168.1.40#53, saving after each change, then after your comment to not add the port reference 192.168.1.40>>>Save only for it to reappear as 192.168.1.40#53.
    The same happened when I tried to alter the dhcp scope, made the changes>>>Save but it displayed the previous settings, it was as if it was ghosting. Even cleared the browser and tried on Edge, which I never use, the same outcome.

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with your pi-hole install. I would get it working (re-install?) with cloudflare or something before trying to switch to unbound.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with your pi-hole install. I would get it working (re-install?) with cloudflare or something before trying to switch to unbound.

I don't mind doing a reinstall and switching everything to Pi-Hole, whilst it does work the fact that it will stop as if it's getting an update is disconcerting. I have also added a small drive specifically for Docker installs, but Pi-Hole is still on my OMV's flashdrive.

Job for tomorrow when everyone's out, the working class of the family need their internet for work :) as do I, but I can stand the downtime.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Geaves:
    As you seem to be trying different settings - you probably already know this....

If you change unbound's config, it should to be followed by service unbound restart (or a reboot).
    Since it seems there may be some sort of problem, what does service unbound status show?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Geaves:
    As you seem to be trying different settings - you probably already know this....

If you change unbound's config, it should to be followed by service unbound restart (or a reboot).
    Since it seems there may be some sort of problem, what does service unbound status show?

Gosh, sorry teacher, I can assure you it won't happen again.

1) Yes, I'm not totally fik
    2) Can't do that have gone back to the first option.
    3) I fink it's gon pear shaped

I'll try harder tomorrow :D:D:thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok have reinstalled Pi-Hole and set up dhcp, that works :thumbup: however unbound and pi-hole are becoming more difficult resolve.

1) In the unbound pi-hole.conf changed the port to 53 from 5353 as per the doc
    2) Tried changing the custom dns to omv's ip 192.168.1.40, this is where it goes pear shaped, if I enter 192.168.1.40 hit save it appears back as 192.168.1.40#53

This still does not work for me, still getting dns_probe error,
    Enter the custom dns -> start unbound same dns_probe_bad_config
    Enter the custom dns -> restart unbound same dns_probe_bad_config

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 Forward 2 Back!!

Had to go back to OMV's dhcp, my 2 satellite boxes won't connect to pi-hole's dhcp this could well it transmits *(it's ip address) as their computer name....angry ip scanner also doesn't detect them.

They operate a 5Ghz mesh, even though they connect either by ethernet or wifi, that's the best part of the day gone :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

From before - it's coming back now. I seem to remember something about the ISP equipment providing really good Wifi. (Other than that, the equipment didn't provide the normal set of features - kind of brain dead.)
    And I even think I said this before; if you want to take control of this it's going to have to be with your own equipment (and Wifi) which would represent a significant expense in your case.

I'm in a similar situation at the new place - being forced to use ISP's ADSL router, while paying $5 extra a month for the privilege. :rolleyes: The first thing I did was turn off the radio on their router and put mine behind it.

There may be a 3rd option.
    You could reactivate the DHCP function on your ISP's equipment which would allow you to remove the DNS plugin from the OMV server. For clients that will accept static addresses (that should be most of them), statically address them for pi-hole as DNS, pi-hole then works through unbound which should work on your server with the DNS plugin removed. Depending on the options in your wife's laptop (the version of WIndows); it might be possible to set static addresses in a "connect to preferred network" at home, but have it set to DHCP otherwise (at the school). The handful of "DHCP only" devices, (phones, I-pad's, etc.) would be on your ISP's DNS - that would be the compromise.

But, and this important, to configure this your server will have to be powered "ON". :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Option 3 whilst being a pita static ip addresses could be set for everything, except the satellite equipment.

All the laptops, ipads, iphones could have static ip's, or go back to the router dhcp but assign pi-holes dns ip to them, except for the satellite equipment.

The problem with my isp's router is the router is the best isp provided router on the market, but like all isp routers it's plug n pray so there are no networking settings to change, other than the ip address range. Most user's who want more functionality buy one the price range for a like for like (to match the wifi) start at £70, which is Ok but they are only single band wifi and the range is usually poor. To get anything decent you're looking at this I've used Draytek before they're excellent, the last one I had for years until it blew a capacitor and I couldn't get it repaired.

After today's fiasco I'll leave it until next week before deciding what to do, my only concern is the satellite stuff because it all has to communicate to each other, you change the main box, you then have to get the booster and the second box to locate and communicate with the main box.

But, and this important, to configure this your server will have to be powered "ON".

Err does that mean the light has to be green and not amber :rolleyes:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!