The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's still working!! in fact in the current raid 5 setup....when I added it back to the then zfs raid 5 it just resilvered (after running dd) I decided the issue was with the metadata written to the drive rather than the physical drive itself.What you would expect when it shows as degraded is the drive failing to sync due to a failed servo...that has a distinctive noise....one of the best things I ever purchased was Spinrite, this has rescued so many drives not just for me but for friends, where a drive has potential bad sectors it can move the data making it recoverable.

Again, this doesn't instill confidence in ZFS. While the issue could have been an odd ball quark it's still an anomaly that occurs, how often? (That's the root question in all of it.)
    I think I had spinrite at one time, or something similar. Since drive size is way outpacing the speed of the interface, how long did it take to run spinrite on drive you mentioned above?

Sounds promising, have you started coding it yet :)

In another life, I might have been a programmer but I tend to doubt it. (Politics tends to give me a rash and you'd be surprised at office politics in programming.)

Actually, I think the above would be fairly easy to implement as a mere extension of BTRFS. (Link 2 servers, with some sort of com channel, SSH?, and engage the same checking routine BTRFS uses for RAID1.) At our level, or possibly a small or medium sized business, such a solution would work very nicely. Data would remain free of corruption while providing for a full backup server system. (2 birds with one stone.) The reason why it probably won't happen is, there's no solid demand for it. The problem with the concept is, at our level most are willing to risk their data with no back up at all. Total data loss events are rare enough to where most don't worry about it, until it's too late. It's a bummer because I'd love to see something like it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since drive size is way outpacing the speed of the interface, how long did it take to run spinrite on drive you mentioned above?

Best guess would be close too 24hrs as I always run level 4, I have an old small form factor optiplex that I can add a single drive to and run Spinrite, or DBan.

I never dig into file systems once set up if it works great, the only time I have to understand it is when something goes wrong :)

I like your idea of the dual server option, but I'm happy to run some sort of backup (when data changes) so that I have something to fall back on. I have been looking at flexraid, although there is a licence cost it would allow me to run some sort of backup server using multiple sized disks, and I can't see any reason why that could not run 'inside' omv much like Emby server does using the apt tool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Best guess would be close too 24hrs as I always run level 4, I have an old small form factor optiplex that I can add a single drive to and run Spinrite, or DBan.

That's an idea that I haven't entertained in awhile. A client dedicated to drive stuff... (I have a couple I could use for the purpose.)

That also makes sense, when thinking about what spinrite does. That drive (the drive that dropped out of your ZFS array) had the errors corrected by Spinrite. (Actually the error locations are permanently moved into the drive's defect map). Thereafter, the drive is actually healthy again. Back into the Array, etc., etc. That's not an inconsistency of ZFS.

In any case, until I learn more or at least until GUI utilities are available for it, I'm not going to use ZFS. For now, I think I'm going to get another 4TB drive and set up BTRFS RAID1. It's simple and the scrubs are easy to automate. Here's to hoping it comes out of Beta soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I remember your liking the apt-tool, for installing items that are not plugins. Have you checked out DOCKER? To get that going, it's necessary to go into OMV-Extras and activate the DOCKER repo. Then go into plugins and install DOCKER. From there, wow, there's a lot of DOCKER images available to include those media servers you like. Emby is one of them.

Docker might be a better way to go because the app's are isolated from the operating system in what they're calling "containers", using only the bare minimum of the resources they need. If an app misbehaves, it doesn't take the whole thing down. I think I'm going to give DOCKER a try so I can try out new app's in a way where I can cleanly get rid of them, if they don't work out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I remember your liking the apt-tool, for installing items that are not plugins. Have you checked out DOCKER? To get that going, it's necessary to go into OMV-Extras and activate the DOCKER repo. Then go into plugins and install DOCKER. From there, wow, there's a lot of DOCKER images available to include those media servers you like. Emby is one of them.

Docker might be a better way to go because the app's are isolated from the operating system in what they're calling "containers", using only the bare minimum of the resources they need. If an app misbehaves, it doesn't take the whole thing down. I think I'm going to give DOCKER a try so I can try out new app's in a way where I can cleanly get rid of them, if they don't work out.

I tried Docker when I had omv 2 installed...and it worked fine, when I bought the 2 flash drives and setup v3 I decided to use the apt tool instead.
    Docker works well it installed Emby and ran without any issues....I think with me as I was used to running a headless server and installing from cli the apt tool replaced the cli.
    To me it's like why install a plugin lets say like cups, as cups has a web configuration interface just install it via cli. As you say the advantage of using Docker is to have container running the software you want to use and it makes it easier to manage, the fact that omv has a Docker plugin is even a bigger bonus.

Now here's something weird.....I have my omv, W10 laptop and Linux Mint laptop, I use the keyboard and mouse via W10 to control Mint using synergy.

Couple of days ago I tried to print from Mint to my W10 shared printer....no way!! wouldn't even connect to it....tried a test share on W10....nope Mint couldn't see that either kept' coming back with an error about not being able to retrieve share list from server.

Anyway long story short after trying various options I found some info regarding registry settings under Lanman Parameters....so into the registry......SMB2 DWord (1) = enabled SMB1 DWord (0) = disabled, changed that to (1) and rebooted.....key drum roll......Mint now locates and retrieves information from W10, including printer and test share.
    I have never had to jump through so many hoops just to get W10 to play with everything else.

Have you seen the latest from MS, Windows S.....I'll not go into what the S stands as per forums and you tube reviewers....needless to say this will be shipped as a new OS the idea being you purchase everything from Windows Store....however you can upgrade to W10 Pro for $50.....oooohhhhh!!!!! 8o8o MS should concentrate on two options...the end home user who wants everything to sync together and a business\professional user who wants a working OS without the bells and whistles.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried Docker when I had omv 2 installed...and it worked fine, when I bought the 2 flash drives and setup v3 I decided to use the apt tool instead.Docker works well it installed Emby and ran without any issues....I think with me as I was used to running a headless server and installing from cli the apt tool replaced the cli.
    To me it's like why install a plugin lets say like cups, as cups has a web configuration interface just install it via cli. As you say the advantage of using Docker is to have container running the software you want to use and it makes it easier to manage, the fact that omv has a Docker plugin is even a bigger bonus.

Just for heck of it, I tried to install Emby, VIA DOCKER, and it didn't work out. (It was me.) The instructions for installing it, on the Emby web site and others, are from the CLI. While I didn't search hard for answers, a cursory look didn't find anything to assist in setting up Emby, inside a docker container, as presented by OMV's DOCKER plugin.
    Once it's active, is there a Web GUI for the server?

While the interface looks slick, from client screen shots, I don't get the whole media server thing but I'm old school. (Also, I use a standard cell phone so there's no need for device transcoding.)

Maybe I should set up a standard server on a client box, to see what it does and how it works.

Now here's something weird.....I have my omv, W10 laptop and Linux Mint laptop, I use the keyboard and mouse via W10 to control Mint using synergy.
    Couple of days ago I tried to print from Mint to my W10 shared printer....no way!! wouldn't even connect to it....tried a test share on W10....nope Mint couldn't see that either kept' coming back with an error about not being able to retrieve share list from server.

Anyway long story short after trying various options I found some info regarding registry settings under Lanman Parameters....so into the registry......SMB2 DWord (1) = enabled SMB1 DWord (0) = disabled, changed that to (1) and rebooted.....key drum roll......Mint now locates and retrieves information from W10, including printer and test share.
    I have never had to jump through so many hoops just to get W10 to play with everything else.

It stopped connecting to the printer out of the blue? Was it due to a security patch, or something?

The Registry? I seriously doubt that I would have found that answer. It was at that point in Windows development (the intro of the registry) where it was no longer possible for a single man to know all there is to know (or even enough) to solve the majority of problems that could crop up in Windows. The registry gives MS and 3rd party developers way too much latitude to create undocumented program monsters.

If you can, I think I'd spend a bit of time and energy configuring a printer that hangs off of your OMV server. (A true network printer.) The printer can be shared out, VIA Samba, for Windows clients. On the other hand, I have yet to deal with W10 so I don't know how that would work out. (I'm going to have to use CUPS, OMV and my B&W laser to see how that works.)

After talking with my wife about it, I may not have to worry about W10 at all. Since we're retired, we don't have to worry about file compatibility anymore. Libreoffice will save Word files if needed and, thanks to the AlternativeTo web site, finding usable open source replacements for almost anything is breeze .

Have you seen the latest from MS, Windows S.....I'll not go into what the S stands as per forums and you tube reviewers....needless to say this will be shipped as a new OS the idea being you purchase everything from Windows Store....however you can upgrade to W10 Pro for $50.....oooohhhhh!!!!! 8o8o MS should concentrate on two options...the end home user who wants everything to sync together and a business\professional user who wants a working OS without the bells and whistles.

That's a simple and workable thesis: Business - "easy to use, works all day, everyday" and the Home user - "access to all my stuff, on all of my devices, fixed or portable". The problem with that, from MS's prospective, is how to make money doing it. Frankly, I think they're in trouble because their original business model isn't working anymore due to a lack of innovation.

I believe MS client OS development "arrived" at Windows 98. Arguably, Windows XP was also a decent improvement but MS client development thereafter has been nothing more than a new coat of paint on last years model of new car. Some of the bells and whistles thrown in could be compared to electric windows and the like but in actual development very little has changed in the fundamentals since Win XP. (We'll set aside plugging security holes and accommodating 64 bit processors and expanded memory models.) Beyond XP, MS client development has been nothing more than incremental improvements in "window dressing". Interesting, the only real advancements in computing have been in open source files systems like ZFS and BTRFS. MS is still stuck on NTFS which goes back to NT 3.51.

On the server front, when they dropped support for WHS (Windows Home Server), MS went on on my "S" list. I think MS dropped WHS because value added resellers were setting up small scale business solutions, cheaply and easily. No tier 2 or 3 MS support required. (I see OMV as functionally similar and, in several ways, superior to WHS.)

I have Windows Server experience that dates back to NT 4.0 and even back to OS2 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 . Just because I know how to set up domains and active directory doesn't mean that I want to. That's a level complexity that's just not needed at home or even at businesses with 50 employees or less. There are much simpler methods.

In the client OS market, (I mentioned this before) I looked at W10 in a VM and was not impressed. What I saw was an attempt, through an OS, to create a artificial window through which I would view the outside world, while MS collected information on my purchasing patterns and other habits, that could be sold to the highest bidder. There was the beginnings of what looked like an attempt to push Log-on's off of the local box and a focus on getting my personal files out to "the cloud" (translated - someone else's server) to "save me" from a failure. Finally, it seemed as if only a cursory effort was made to allow 3rd party applications to be installed and run on the local box. Of course, MS makes it easy to install / run their own app's.

If one looks at MS's advertisements, it's obvious that MS is attempting to market to the younger crowd much as Apple has been doing with their products. While there's no knowing the future, I don't think it's going to work. The younger generations tend to share info quickly. If they find something cheap or free that works, they get the word out rapidly and disseminate widely. With the continuing development of Linux, into good looking and easy to use clients, I suspect MS's market share will decline.
    If MS doesn't get off of their collective butts and create a new next generation OS (maybe a true 3D OS as in the movie Johnny Mnemonice?) or otherwise innovate in some other new and interesting way, all they'll have is leveraging what they had in the past. That won't last much longer.

Getting off the soap box now... :rolleyes:

Given it's popularity and since you mentioned it, I'm messing around with Mint Linux. For Desktop use, it looks pretty good.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either name of your omv server or its' ip address then :8096 this will bring up the wizard (in other words the set up)

It stopped connecting to the printer out of the blue? Was it due to a security patch, or something?

Yes and no, it was installed on Mint but that was when I was trying the printer on Ubuntu headless, this was the first time I tried to print to my W10 laptop.

The Registry? I seriously doubt that I would have found that answer. It was at that point in Windows development (the intro of the registry) where it was no longer possible for a single man to know all there is to know (or even enough) to solve the majority of problems that could crop up in Windows. The registry gives MS and 3rd party developers way too much latitude to create undocumented program monsters.

If you can, I think I'd spend a bit of time and energy configuring a printer that hangs off of your OMV server. (A true network printer.) The printer can be shared out, VIA Samba, for Windows clients. On the other hand, I have yet to deal with W10 so I don't know how that would work out. (I'm going to have to use CUPS, OMV and my B&W laser to see how that works.)

Yep, the registry, it seems that W10 does not communicate very well with Samba 4.3 and above, thanks to mr google and the world wide community and ms you have to ensure SMB1 is enabled and in some cases disable SMB3.

As to 'hanging' my printer off OMV.....are you sitting comfortably, then we'll begin...

Once upon a time there was an Epson MFP this had served the household flawlessly for many years....til one day IT support had to go into hospital no biggie but was away for 3 weeks. Whilst in hospital the Epson became sick, it ran out of ink, so the collective power of the rest of the household bought ink......compatibles!! Needless to say by the time IT support came out of hospital the Epson was no more....dead....print heads probably shot due to compatibles.
    So I found someone giving away a Canon Pixma MX300 MFP, this is a beast....but it worked and has continued to work, originally set up and shared on W7 I decided one day to install and share this on the Ubuntu server......I got everything working including being able to scan across the network.....but!!
    Whilst you could send a print job from windows using the cups GUI the print job would display get to Processing 18%......then nothing, it would just hang, I must have spent the best part of a day trying to resolve it, I thought I had at one point....print job printed provided you only sent one page!! if you sent a multi page doc it would hang.
    It seems that the Canon is prehistoric and does not play well with cups :cursing: so whilst I would love to get this working through OMV previous forays are putting me off.

Frankly, I think they're in trouble because their original business model isn't working anymore due to a lack of innovation.

I would agree with you...remember the Vista debacle...that got shot down in flames...then up popped W7...at least that became stable and usable for home and business....at present I find W10 a pia particularly when it comes to updates and the MS forums are full of end users having problems. They have now started doing 'cumulative updates' this seems to be a number of updates all rolled into one package....sometimes it works but most of the time it falls over and you have to jump through more hoops to solve the problem.

My two kids use their mobile phones more than they do their PC's, Facebook, Snap Chat, WhatsApp, Ebay, Web Browsing, Mail, my mobile gets used for phone calls and text messaging, it's a phone :P

Given it's popularity and since you mentioned it, I'm messing around with Mint Linux. For Desktop use, it looks pretty good.

I've not had any problems with it, although Cinnamon didn't like my Nvidia card....but xfce worked after I tried Linux Lite.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Either name of your omv server or its' ip address then :8096 this will bring up the wizard (in other words the set up)

Yes and no, it was installed on Mint but that was when I was trying the printer on Ubuntu headless, this was the first time I tried to print to my W10 laptop.

Yep, the registry, it seems that W10 does not communicate very well with Samba 4.3 and above, thanks to mr google and the world wide community and ms you have to ensure SMB1 is enabled and in some cases disable SMB3.

As to 'hanging' my printer off OMV.....are you sitting comfortably, then we'll begin...

Once upon a time there was an Epson MFP this had served the household flawlessly for many years....til one day IT support had to go into hospital no biggie but was away for 3 weeks. Whilst in hospital the Epson became sick, it ran out of ink, so the collective power of the rest of the household bought ink......compatibles!! Needless to say by the time IT support came out of hospital the Epson was no more....dead....print heads probably shot due to compatibles.
    So I found someone giving away a Canon Pixma MX300 MFP, this is a beast....but it worked and has continued to work, originally set up and shared on W7 I decided one day to install and share this on the Ubuntu server......I got everything working including being able to scan across the network.....but!!
    Whilst you could send a print job from windows using the cups GUI the print job would display get to Processing 18%......then nothing, it would just hang, I must have spent the best part of a day trying to resolve it, I thought I had at one point....print job printed provided you only sent one page!! if you sent a multi page doc it would hang.
    It seems that the Canon is prehistoric and does not play well with cups :cursing: so whilst I would love to get this working through OMV previous forays are putting me off.

Frankly, I think they're in trouble because their original business model isn't working anymore due to a lack of innovation.

I would agree with you...remember the Vista debacle...that got shot down in flames...then up popped W7...at least that became stable and usable for home and business....at present I find W10 a pia particularly when it comes to updates and the MS forums are full of end users having problems. They have now started doing 'cumulative updates' this seems to be a number of updates all rolled into one package....sometimes it works but most of the time it falls over and you have to jump through more hoops to solve the problem.

My two kids use their mobile phones more than they do their PC's, Facebook, Snap Chat, WhatsApp, Ebay, Web Browsing, Mail, my mobile gets used for phone calls and text messaging, it's a phone :P

I've not had any problems with it, although Cinnamon didn't like my Nvidia card....but xfce worked after I tried Linux Lite.

Cups:

Installed cups via the plugin, set up the printer, Linux Mint no problem, W10 sees it as a samba share, connect, install print driver, print test page....nada, nothing, doesn't even appear in the print queue on the server, but the LED display on the printer says printing....so that's gone out the window for a second time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran Epson's for years because HP's expendables costs were ridiculous. Also, probably for the same reasons your family bought "compatibles", I found the price of Epson cartridges to be a bit irritating. Since Epson uses a permanent print head, the cartridges are nothing but tanks, a sponge and a flow regulating vent, so,,, I began refilling my own. That worked fine but it was a messy business. Then I went with an aftermarket CIS (continuous ink system) were a ribbon of small surgical rubber tubes feeds 4 cartridges with a set of ink tanks velcro'ed to the side of the printer). That worked for a l-o-n-g time with heavy use and no issues until the print head started banding on occasion. (I found a requirement for Inkjet printers is printing a few times a week or, with an aging printer, clogs/banding occurs.) During this part of my printers life, I found that one can clean the print head of even the most clogged Epson with empty cartridges filled with Windex window cleaner and several print head cleaning cycles. Again, too messy and too much to fool with to save a few dollars.
    I ended up with two low cost lasers because, unlike Inkjets, they can sit for months, unused, and they're fine when powered on. I'm using a Brother LH-2230 (black and white) and I got my wife the HL-3170CDW (color). The color modelm with a print server built in, is a native network printer and it's wireless as well. About 2 years ago, I got the 2230 for about $70 (US) on a sale / special. The wife's printer was about $300 and was bought around the same time frame. (Of course, from what you've been telling me, I expect those prices would be a lot higher over there.)

I've ran a few thousand pages through the B&W 2230, for a local political campaign. I've replace the toner cartridges in both printers with cheap generics from E-bay with no problems so far. (I haven't had to so a drum replacement yet and, the way it's going, I probably won't have to for the life of these printers.) After dealing with inkjets for years; since a laser will sit there until needed, with no maintenance required, I'm a believer in cheap lasers. Print quality is always excellent and, if you chose the right printer, expendable costs are low.

In the bottom line, if you can get a native network printer (cheap these days), that's probably the way to go. All that's needed to use my wife's laser is a network connection and a working printer driver, in the OS of your choice. (Linux is covered.)

Vista wasn't the first debacle. I'd say it started with Win95. For the time, 95 was bloatware and when it rolled out there was serious hardware compatibility problems. (Just because it was a 486 didn't mean it would run 95, at least in the beginning.) Win98 stabilized things. Then it was on to Windows Millennium addition. It was supposed to be a multimedia OS but it couldn't even handle extra memory which is necessary for media handling. On the consumer front XP was decent. However, the only non-server OS's Microsoft produced that were stable out of the box, without driver issues, etc., were the NT workstation flavors 3.51 and 4.0. (Even 3.51 and 4.0 were controversial when the hacks found that there was no binary difference between the workstation and server versions. All that was necessary to get a full server was to change a registry setting.) Windows 2000 workstation worked well but I suspect, as it was with NT, that it's foundation was in Server 2000.

Vista to Win 7 reminds me of the original Win95 to Win 98 (and Win98 second edition) transition. All of it is Microsoft, with careful marketing, getting the public to pay for their flops and, even when something works like it should, we're still paying for the privilege of Beta testing their software. W10? No thanks. It's time to get off the merry-go-round.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just remembered something re Emby, when it comes to the user name Docker adds something else can't remember....change it to Emby at least that's what I did.

Emby is up and running or at least in the configuration stage. All my media "stuff" is on another server. Do you know what system user Emby uses to connect to remote network shares? (I think it's better to set up read only to remote shares.)

I could probably access local replica's but, given root access, I'm reluctant to do that.

Man,, Linux Mint is great on networks. With zero configuration, it snoops out Linux Hosts, SSH enabled connections, Windows shares, and simply prompts for user / password. In a word, great!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Emby is up and running or at least in the configuration stage. All my media "stuff" is on another server. Do you know what system user Emby uses to connect to remote network shares? (I think it's better to set up read only to remote shares.)
    I could probably access local replica's but, given root access, I'm reluctant to do that.

Man,, Linux Mint is great on networks. With zero configuration, it snoops out Linux Hosts, SSH enabled connections, Windows shares, and simply prompts for user / password. In a word, great!

Once I've set up shares or rather pointed Emby to them, the Emby user requires read/write access, this is usually done during set up.....Movie shares for instance require Emby to create and write to an nfo file where the metadata is stored....originally I had to set up symlinks, but I know this has changed and you can now point/mount a share from within Emby.

I've been using Mint for some time now, as you say it just works, the only thing I had to do was to install cifs utils to create a shared folder that I can access from my W10 laptop as most of my browsing is done Mint.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Printers; have been looking at another/replacement printer but it would have to an mfp option, I have a scanner but there are no drivers for W10, but guess what it works in Mint using simple scan or Xsane. The cheapest mfp for networking though is inkjet....and your wife's printer is sub £200 in the UK :)
    I have considered a small print server option but due to the printers age it's hit and miss whether one would work, HP seem to have drivers for their printers under any Linux flavor that runs cups more so than other other manufacturers.

I just might put some time and effort in trying MetaTrader under Linux again, I go it working once before but I have to extract and copy a number of files from a running windows machine.

As my windows laptop was also used to run endpoint to connect to school, which I now longer need as the school has decided to take it's support elsewhere....OK slightly reduced cost to them but massive reduction on the delivery......two half days per month, no telephone or email support and some of it they will have to do themselves....but heyho I've enjoyed the 10+ years. But when you're dealing with people who 'don't understand' and don't want to understand' the grass can always look greener on the other side.....I shall miss it but I shan't miss the grief because tomorrow was never good enough it should have been yesterday.

Discovered the apt clean option under omv-extras....it works, I was trying to do a clean from the cli once I uninstalled cups but didn't work, but the built in option did. Whatever I test with omv it works, if it doesn't removal and clean does the job without the cli......it would be great if there was some sort of mdadm gui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once I've set up shares or rather pointed Emby to them, the Emby user requires read/write access, this is usually done during set up.....Movie shares for instance require Emby to create and write to an nfo file where the metadata is stored....originally I had to set up symlinks, but I know this has changed and you can now point/mount a share from within Emby.

Poking around in OMV's file permissions, I found a user "emby" assigned to folders in the Emby container. Still, to give the emby user access to SMB network shares, I'd need to know what the emby user's "password" is so I can assign it the appropriate permission for a passworded windows share. There doesn't seem to be any reference to the "emby" users' "default password" and there doesn't seem to be anything in advanced setup to alter or change the system user.

So how did you give the emby user access to shares without a password, and without opening up the share with "read" for all?

Maybe I could get around this with a symlink that connects to a SMB share, that appears to be local to OMV, VIA remote mount. Humm....

On the mdadm issue(s), I now have a bug tracker account for OMV. However, to make a well reasoned case for a couple changes in the OMV3 GUI, I have to install and do a comparison of OMV3 to OMV2. I hope to get to it soon.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Poking around in OMV's file permissions, I found a user "emby" assigned to folders in the Emby container. Still, to give the emby user access to SMB network shares, I'd need to know what the emby user's "password" is so I can assign it the appropriate permission for a passworded windows share. There doesn't seem to be any reference to the "emby" users' "default password" and there doesn't seem to be anything in advanced setup to alter or change the system user.

So how did you give the emby user access to shares without a password, and without opening up the share with "read" for all?

All my samba shares for Emby are guest access so I don't have any issues but I found this on the Emby site whilst it may be a 'suck eggs' it will explain how the permissions work, but in answer to your question I don't believe there is a password.

• Offizieller Beitrag

All my samba shares for Emby are guest access so I don't have any issues but I found this on the Emby site whilst it may be a 'suck eggs' it will explain how the permissions work, but in answer to your question I don't believe there is a password.

So it is a "read only" situation. If the emby user is, in fact, without a password it might be possible to grant access to that specific user without a password but it creates a minor security hole. On the other hand granting "read only" to generic users, to segregated media shares, isn't that big of a deal.
    I think, with remote mount (where windows shares that are already mounted locally, on OMV) the use of a symlink, placed in the DOCKER container, might be the way to go. Since access with remote mount is based on a user and password, it would be secure. In any case, I'll probably look at both methods.
    During this exercise (exploring paths to media for Emby and other considerations, log files, metadata, etc.) I'm getting an idea of how DOCKER works. While it doesn't set up a full VM, it is a facsimile thereof. The directory structure created to support the application, in a "container", is pretty much a replica of a lightweight Linux box.

And what was this about WINE and "MetaTrader"? Do you do Forex? I dabbled in futures back in the day but, given the way the market is made and the inherent disadvantage brokers hand to the little guy, I gave it up. After watching the market pass through a limit order on a few occasions, it became pretty dxxn obvious that the broker was stacking orders in front of me.
    (That was just too much. Good trades with decent risk margins were rare enough as it was.)
    Just before I cut out (probably due to a law suit), my broker changed their account agreement where they specifically stipulated that they had the authority to do just that - put their orders in front of mine.
    That left the "long game" as the only option and, in futures (in my opinion), carrying a position over a weekend is inviting bankruptcy into your life. (World events can cause wild fluctuations.) So, I determined that I just wasn't cut out for it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it is a "read only" situation. If the emby user is, in fact, without a password it might be possible to grant access to that specific user without a password but it creates a minor security hole. On the other hand granting "read only" to generic users, to segregated media shares, isn't that big of a deal.

Well you've understood more than me then, I also don't use Emby's metadata I use Media Center Master to collect poster, backdrops, actors etc, but as I say mine are set up as guest so users and permissions for Emby have just worked.

During this exercise (exploring paths to media for Emby and other considerations, log files, metadata, etc.) I'm getting an idea of how DOCKER works. While it doesn't set up a full VM, it is a facsimile thereof. The directory structure created to support the application, in a "container", is pretty much a replica of a lightweight Linux box.

I must admit when I tried Docker on v2 I was impressed on how straight forward it was, it also updates from the Emby repo and the set up was just the same as I have done with the apt tool plugin.....I much prefer this to Plex.....and Emby development has caught up particularly foe 3rd party addons such as iPad, Xbox, PS, Chromecast it's improving all the time and the forum is helpful.

And what was this about WINE and "MetaTrader"? Do you do Forex?

Yes, but I have a tendency to stick with indices rather than forex or commodities.....futures though is a different ball game never looked at it. But in the UK this is classed as spread betting...but it's not much different to the US except you have to trade using cfd's which is commission based and you're supposed to declare any profit as income!

There's an excellent site which is basically a news calendar (Forex Factory), but it has an excellent forum with people showing how they trade giving away the indicators they use and explaining how they use it. There are some closed forums, this is where people 'sell' their trading strategy and supply help and support.

I have my old laptop, I just install Mint xfce, install Wine and test out MT, got nothing to lose, and see if I can get it set up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, but I have a tendency to stick with indices rather than forex or commodities.....futures though is a different ball game never looked at it. But in the UK this is classed as spread betting...but it's not much different to the US except you have to trade using cfd's which is commission based and you're supposed to declare any profit as income!
    There's an excellent site which is basically a news calendar (Forex Factory), but it has an excellent forum with people showing how they trade giving away the indicators they use and explaining how they use it. There are some closed forums, this is where people 'sell' their trading strategy and supply help and support.

I have my old laptop, I just install Mint xfce, install Wine and test out MT, got nothing to lose, and see if I can get it set up.

If one is into fundamentals trading, I like commodities futures way better than stocks. Buy and hold, in stocks, used to work when the market was steady. In the modern times, with all the volatility, stock investing has transformed into something else altogether. (And we're talking about the last 10 to 15 years, with no end in sight.)
    Brokers don't mention it but, in recent more volatile times, I seriously doubt if individual traders are looking at the tax loads. What am I getting at?
    Year 1; One realizes a 100% profit. And, as it is with the little guy, the gain is taxed. 33% of that profit is lost in combination of capitol gains and income taxes. (This is probably much higher in the UK.)
    Year 2: Volatility kicks in and the 100% profit is lost. The account is back to square 1. But,, let's not forget,, the little guy doesn't get a tax refund on the taxes paid on last years profit. So, while he's back to zero, in the account, the little guy has realized an actual loss of 33% due to taxes. The only winners in this scenario are Government and, to a lesser degree, the brokers. The institutions don't have tax problems like this because they have methods of making a profit look like a loss, on paper.
    It's kind of a shame because, for truly healthy markets, individual investors are an essential element of any stock market. However, (post 2008), unless there are some reforms such as lower taxes on individual investors, I suspect many (most?) will stay away from it. In the bottom line, the risk is high for the potential reward but it's actually taxes that tip the stock investment scales into the red.

Forex, in my opinion, is an institutional game only. The spreads in Forex REALLY stack it against the little guy. (Not to mention the interest rate charge for a position that's held for awhile which, effectively, makes it a short term loan.) On the other hand, if you're an institution playing with your clients' capitol, with methods of writing trading expenses off, it's another ball game altogether.

I felt that futures was the only clean operation around because, if they tried to manipulate the market, even the institutions would be fearful of bankruptcy. However, when brokers began front loading their own orders in front of their individual account holders, that was enough for me. Realize, in computer based trading, that it should be virtually impossible for the market to trade BELOW a limit long order. (It should be first in, first out.) When I saw that happen a few times I knew trading, as I understood it back in the day, could no longer be trusted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow....that was more than I expected but to me I would say it has changed, although there are so many different methods/strategies it's horses for courses.

I found your post on urbackup very informative and concise certainly something to think about as an alternative to what I'm using at present for my W10, I'm going to have to sort some of the hardware and decide if it's worth keeping. I've been trawling ebay to look for an old desktop which has the capability of installing a few hdd's so that I can try out flexraid, but as yet have found nothing worthwhile.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow....that was more than I expected but to me I would say it has changed, although there are so many different methods/strategies it's horses for courses.

I looked at more than a few strategies as well. They only thing that I found that was consistent, in any time frame and in nearly any market condition was the 50 period running average in nearly any time frame. The interval should be at least an hour, at the minimum. A "day" is better. (A north cross = long. A south cross equals short.) Of course stop management is a big hairy deal if trading this way. That's half of the game.
    I'd like to trade the 50 period average with futures, on the indexes, but the problem with that would be holding positions through the weekends... I couldn't do it, not after what I've seen. The risk seems too high. I had screen shots of wild fluctuations that would have cleaned the stops on every position, save those who are insane and run naked. (I still have one wild swing screen shot, from back in the day, that the exchange "erased".)

I found your post on urbackup very informative and concise certainly something to think about as an alternative to what I'm using at present for my W10, I'm going to have to sort some of the hardware and decide if it's worth keeping. I've been trawling ebay to look for an old desktop which has the capability of installing a few hdd's so that I can try out flexraid, but as yet have found nothing worthwhile.

The next test will Be Win7. After that, maybe, Win 8.2 on UEFI. But that would mean risking a micro-pc, with a notebook drive, that I don't have a replacement for. (Without a 2nd 2.5" notebook drive for the test, I'd be running a risk.) I'd be truly impressed if UrBackup could restore a UEFI booting box which, frankly, is why I'm hesitant to try it.

I have Emby installed and running in DOCKER but it's not working or, more accurately, it's doing something "weird". I successfully attached Emby to a music share. When I play a song, the controls bar comes up and immediately drops, without a sound. After playing with it a bit, I did the "auto mix". What I saw then was the player cycling through song titles at the rate of 1 or 2 a second, as if it was playing them really fast. Again, not a sound. I downloaded Emby theater (as if a client would be better than a Web window). The behavior was the same. Have you seen this before?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!