The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

The next test will Be Win7. After that, maybe, Win 8.2 on UEFI. But that would mean risking a micro-pc, with a notebook drive, that I don't have a replacement for. (Without a 2nd 2.5" notebook drive for the test, I'd be running a risk.)

I can send you one across the pond I have a few 70Gb 2.5" I pulled from some laptops that were written off.

I have Emby installed and running in DOCKER but it's not working or, more accurately, it's doing something "weird". I successfully attached Emby to a music share. When I play a song, the controls bar comes up and immediately drops, without a sound. After playing with it a bit, I did the "auto mix". What I saw then was the player cycling through song titles at the rate of 1 or 2 a second, as if it was playing them really fast. Again, not a sound. I downloaded Emby theater (as if a client would be better than a Web window). The behavior was the same. Have you seen this before?

I have just tested this, whilst I have my music on omv I have never added it to Emby's library on this build....it does play if I connect to Emby from say chrome, but I can't get the music to shuffle not even if I create a playlist.
    My Emby usage is through Kodi on a Pi 2B there is a Kodi sync plugin for Emby, that way it works perfectly as it uses the Kodi player + I can control Kodi from the iPhone app.
    I can also get music to play and shuffle using vlc and just point to the Music samba share, it also works on our PS3 using dlna, this uses the PS3 player and it shuffles tracks with the info being displayed on the TV.
    TBH I've never used any of the 'addons' i.e. theatre etc as there are other ways of streaming, I've used Emby as a backend for Kodi. I did try Docker, but when I moved to v3 I used the apt tool which works perfectly, even the updates come through.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can send you one across the pond I have a few 70Gb 2.5" I pulled from some laptops that were written off.

I hadn't thought of getting a used 2.5" drive for a test, but it's a good idea. I couldn't ask you to mail me a drive from over there... I'd be afraid they'll levy a "Yankee" tax on you at the post office, because you'd be sending something to one of the Colony's. (And there's Trump and all that.) :rolleyes:

I checked and the UEFI client I mentioned is Win8.1 with "Bing" (another invasion of privacy), and it appears that 43GB of the 500GB drive is used. I looked on Ebay and found used 80GB models for $9USD delivered, but I went "upscale" with a 120GB OEM refurb for $14! (10.82 sterling) Since I use that pint sized box for nothing but streaming, if the UrBackup restore works, the incoming 120GB drive will stay in it. I can use the 500GB for something else.

In preparing to dump Windows Home Server, I've pickup a lot about Linux permissions, and configuring the Samba layer with it's parameters and permissions. Of the 10 shares I have on my OMV box, I've removed "guest access" from all but three. (It makes sense for media shares to be available, read only, to all users - especially system users like "emby".) In the remainder, I have write to everything under my user name and my wife has write to some and read/execute to others.
    While all of this is doable from the CLI, it would be tough with syntax and fat finger errors, and the lack of visualization. The more I dig into this, the more impressed I am with how much the OMV GUI eases the load on sysadmins. If I had to be a Linux admin, I'd want something like OMV to work with.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Geaves;
    Awhile back you said you were going to put something on the forum, for an opinion, regarding something IT related you were doing at the school. You said it became, or was becoming, "political". So, what was that all about? Is it still in progress?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hadn't thought of getting a used 2.5" drive for a test, but it's a good idea. I couldn't ask you to mail me a drive from over there... I'd be afraid they'll levy a "Yankee" tax on you at the post office, because you'd be sending something to one of the Colony's. (And there's Trump and all that.)

I checked and the UEFI client I mentioned is Win8.1 with "Bing" (another invasion of privacy), and it appears that 43GB of the 500GB drive is used. I looked on Ebay and found used 80GB models for $9USD delivered, but I went "upscale" with a 120GB OEM refurb for $14! (10.82 sterling) Since I use that pint sized box for nothing but streaming, if the UrBackup restore works, the incoming 120GB drive will stay in it. I can use the 500GB for something else.

TBH I did wonder if there would be any tax, the wife exchanges gifts at christmas with her school penpal, sometimes we have to pay an import duty and vat sometimes we don't it's never consistent year on year.

Dumping WHS may not be a bad idea I've always realized that Linux based options are a better choice once you get to understand them. I've just installed virtualbox to have a look...seems to have errored due to a newer version and it wants an optical drive to install an O/S....disconnected that to use the sata port...may hove to install the usb extras to get my usb dvd to work....but I've just installed it so I have plenty of time to work it out....added to that the notifications have decided to stop working....other than that it's all good :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Geaves;
    Awhile back you said you were going to put something on the forum, for an opinion, regarding something IT related you were doing at the school. You said it became, or was becoming, "political". So, what was that all about? Is it still in progress?

This is now dead and buried...the school have decided to move their support elsewhere....oddly enough to a company I had suggested to the school for Audio Video....appears the school are going to put all their eggs in one basket and use them for everything.
    Can't complain considering what the school had to what they have now, I think was a major achievement although the head then was more receptive.....this one is tactile...likes to point to something with the 'look what we have done' while the backend goes down the toilet, unless it affects her, it's irrelevant.

• Offizieller Beitrag

... although the head then was more receptive.....this one is tactile...likes to point to something with the 'look what we have done' while the backend goes down the toilet, unless it affects her, it's irrelevant.

There are three types of management styles; The Leader, The Manager, and the Politician.

What you've just described are characteristics of, "the Politician". The politician doesn't really care if they do a good job, or not. All they have to do (want to do) is convince the next higher level of management that they're going a good job. "That", essentially managing "perceptions", is the job from their point of view.
    Back in the day, I believed in World Class products and services. (That is to say, I didn't want anything better to be had or found, anywhere else. That was the goal.) When a politician was placed a level above me, who attempted to manufacture "success" by "perception", the insanity associated with that nonsense was too much. I retired.

Now, I'm thankful that I did. I'm actually grateful to that bonehead for making me think hard about the door. Otherwise, I'd be working my life away.

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH I did wonder if there would be any tax, the wife exchanges gifts at christmas with her school penpal, sometimes we have to pay an import duty and vat sometimes we don't it's never consistent year on year.
    Dumping WHS may not be a bad idea I've always realized that Linux based options are a better choice once you get to understand them. I've just installed virtualbox to have a look...seems to have errored due to a newer version and it wants an optical drive to install an O/S....disconnected that to use the sata port...may hove to install the usb extras to get my usb dvd to work....but I've just installed it so I have plenty of time to work it out....added to that the notifications have decided to stop working....other than that it's all good :)

On this side of pond, unless the item is $50 or more, they don't care. (And I think you could get away with up to a $100US or more.) Label it as a gift and that would be it.

On VB,, it's easy to use the host PC's optical drive but you have to specify it. Sometimes, I use Gizmo and a mount a folder with an ISO in it, as if it's an optical drive. That's easier than burning a disk.

I'm heading out. If you don't figure out the Host optical drive connection, I'll send a screen shot or two when I get back in a few days.

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm heading out. If you don't figure out the Host optical drive connection, I'll send a screen shot or two when I get back in a few days.

Sorted!! :thumbup: not sure how many times I made an attempt at this, and I discovered my server box has a virtualisation option, so it's not just been about research for VB but I did some on my server box...so it's looking good. I've installed W7 purely to see if it would work, but the server could do with an extra 4Gb of ram which would give it 8Gb in total.

I wanted to experiment with this to see I could lose a machine, so I could have MInt running on a laptop and perhaps Windows running on a VM, the only thing I can't get to work at present is the display to fit on the full screen, the Screen resolution is running at 1280x768 it has a setting to run at 1280x1024 which would take up the whole monitor but I can't get it work. Having googled the obvious according to what I have found there is supposed to be a 'menu' at the top of the running vm....but not on mine this should allow me to change this 'on the fly'....but initially I'm pleased I've got it running, certainly different to Microsoft Hyper-V but it does the same job.
    Presently it's installing 202 updates with probably another 200 to go 8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got the 120GB 2.5" laptop drive, installed it in a Lenovo Thinkcentre Q190 and attempted to restore Win8.1 to it. I promptly got a GPT error.

However that error may not, actually, be a problem with UrBackup. In restoring a GPT partition table, and attempting to write it, UrBackup may have been expecting a 500GB drive. (That makes sense from a partitioning and disaster recovery point of view.)

Since UrBackup is capable of backing and restoring UEFI/GPT drives, I'll have to look farther into this. I may have to create a GPT partition on the smaller drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However that error may not, actually, be a problem with UrBackup. In restoring a GPT partition table, and attempting to write it, UrBackup may have been expecting a 500GB drive. (That makes sense from a partitioning and disaster recovery point of view.)

That's highly probable, if memory serves me correctly you can restore/re image from a small drive to a larger one but not vice versa. To get that to work you have to reduce the size of partition on the 500Gb to less than the 120Gb and it should work, but isn't that a restriction of 'bare metal' backup/restore? I know with W10 I use Macrium Reflect and for that I do a 'clone' backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's highly probable, if memory serves me correctly you can restore/re image from a small drive to a larger one but not vice versa. To get that to work you have to reduce the size of partition on the 500Gb to less than the 120Gb and it should work, but isn't that a restriction of 'bare metal' backup/restore? I know with W10 I use Macrium Reflect and for that I do a 'clone' backup.

I'm with you on that. It's what I've been exploring. It stands to reason that UrBackup wouldn't be able to make complicated GPT decisions. It would have to simply "write it" which would require that the destination be the same or larger in size.

I tried Aomei Backuper (on a bootabe CD - free BTW) which will clone and even resize partitions going onto a destination drive, but for GPT,,,

Man, this GPT partitioning scheme is over the top. (I even had to get a 64bit version of Gparted just to look at it.)
    Just because GPT allows a lot of partitions, doesn't mean one should. There are 6 different partitions on that 500GB drive, for crying out loud! It's just a basic Win 8.1 install. I mean, come on! (There isn't even a recovery partition.)

The partition in question is dev/sda5 (sized at 438GB with only 48GB used) but I'm a bit reluctant resize it on the original drive because of all the unknowns. I've got to find something larger than 500GB (which I don't have a the moment), clone the original, and doctor the partitions on the clone.
    Then clone the altered drive onto the 120GB notebook drive and have UrBackup image the final result.. Maybe I can find something cheap but usable from Ebay,, again....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe I can find something cheap but usable from Ebay,, again....

Possibly, but I think what you are trying to do may not be possible using UrBackup, the clone route appears to be the only option....however I was curious about what you were trying to do and found this the reply by Malte Skoruppa goes into great detail and is backed up further down.

Another option might be to use a Clonzilla Live CD, I've never used it but it does have the ability to clone a partition as the partition sizes can be altered.

I've got Macrium Reflect on W10 purely for that machine and that creates a cloned image back to an external usb drive.....like you I have 2 usb flash drives for OMV and use win32image to copy the current working setup to disk then write the image back to second, then use the second. I'm looking at buying a third to experiment and use dd on Mint laptop, 1) to see if dd is any quicker at cloning/copying 2) to see if dd actually works in creating a like for like bootable flash drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nah!! I think you're doing yourself an injustice, by all means change it to Homer but leave out the Noob, I would look at it more as Under Graduate ;) and that's too many letters :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

A post was lost... The info below was posted but is missing....

Anyway, I thought I had it. I went into Drive Manager, in Win 8, and did "shrink" on the partition C drive resides on. The minimum it would shrink the volume to was to 210GB. Obviously, to fit on 120GB, that's not enough. 210GB +/- might be a M$ minimum for Win8. (And shrinking it farther with Gparted might break Win 8.)

I found a "new / old stock" sata 2, 320GB, 2.5" drive on Amazon for $28 USD delivered. I might order it. At this rate, I'm going to have enough 2.5" drives to boot my server, with backup.

(I wonder if it's possible to copy/port a USB stick installation to a spinning hard drive.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wonder if it's possible to copy/port a USB stick installation to a spinning hard drive.

Yep. Clonezilla or dd can do that.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

A post was lost... The info below was posted but is missing....

I couldn't get on the forum at all at one point....

Anyway, I thought I had it. I went into Drive Manager, in Win 8, and did "shrink" on the partition C drive resides on. The minimum it would shrink the volume to was to 210GB. Obviously, to fit on 120GB, that's not enough. 210GB +/- might be a M$ minimum for Win8. (And shrinking it farther with Gparted might break Win 8.)

Interesting, I just had a look at my W10 using disk management.....did the shrink volume....this is a WD Blue 320Gb....disk management says....
    Total size before shrink in MB: 304743
    Size of available shrink space in MB: 5450
    Total size after shrink in MB: 299293

Then 'You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located. See the "defrag" event in the Application log for detailed information about the operation when it has completed.

See "Shrink a basic volume" in Disk Management help for more information.

That's interesting considering the drive has a used space of just over 120Gb....so if I understand that correctly you have 'clean up' the drive even to the point of possibly uninstalling software so that I could actually shrink the volume to say replace it with a 250Gb SSD.

It appears that moving to a smaller drive is not so straightforward so it's the partition table that actually 'controls' the disk not the space used on it.....I've only ever done something like this by going larger, not the other way around.....but it's a helps give a better understanding.

Time for a cuppa methinks...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You got a whole 5GB out of the shrink. At 299GB, you're in the same rough ball park as I am at 210GB. I shouldn't have files spread around on that drive (I use this box almost exclusively for streaming) but I'll do a defrag and try again.

I just read that the minimum requirement for Win 8 is 20GB (spare me), but even with the all of extra stuff that came on this box and the little bit I put on it, only 48GB of C drive is used. We'll see what the defrag does. If the far flung file is an unmovable system file, it will be time the 320GB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. Clonezilla or dd can do that.

ryecoaaron: I am shocked that you're hanging out on a NOOB thread! (Well,, I can only speak for myself.... )

All we're doing is counting toes,,, 8, 9, 9 1/2,,,, (what?,, whole numbers only!,,, gotta' start over...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You got a whole 5GB out of the shrink. At 299GB, you're in the same rough ball park as I am at 210GB. I shouldn't have files spread around on that drive (I use this box almost exclusively for streaming) but I'll do a defrag and try again.

It seems to get this to shrink further, you need to disable the page file, disable hibernation and system restore as these are the 'bits' located at the end of the drive/partition, then you'll have to defrag, possibly uninstall software, backup then delete your data, defrag.....to me this sounds like the best option would be to what I used too do, create 2 partitions, 1 to install the o/s and the second to install software and store files.

My wife's 2 machines have just installed the latest W10 creator update (she has a laptop and a netbook) the laptop keeps coming up with a warning 'You must sign in to your Microsoft Account'.....why? no reason just the message.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!