The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

Compared to some I know, yeah, my hobbies are real cheap. Maybe a hundred dollars or so over 3 or 4 months.

I'm working on my last room. (For my hobbies and activities.) One more coat of paint, lay the flooring and baseboard, and done. From there, it's minor things, shelves for two closets, touch up paint, etc. Really, I need to get out there while the weather is cooler, but still reasonable, and cut next years wood. At least one, maybe two days will be dedicated to that this week. I do have some inside electrical work to do, along with a bit of cat5e.
    The bathrooms, which really need work, are going to wait until next spring, possibly until next fall. (There's nothing wrong with them other than being ugly and tired looking.)

I'm still giving thought to the 3D printer as well.

I'm going to build OMV on the Intel server to see how that works out but, if I get the 2nd CPU and a gross of memory, I'm going to give ESXi or maybe Proxmox a try. I seriously doubt that my pool will grow much larger than 2TB (currently 1.4TB) so I should be able to do a few more things with the server beyond running OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The bathrooms, which really need work, are going to wait until next spring, possibly until next fall. (There's nothing wrong with them other than being ugly and tired looking.)

Same as ours, they are both fine, just tired they have both had a lick of paint but they need a complete refit and redesign, the young couple over the road are doing their en-suite he's run into all sorts of problems. Plumbing, heating pipes he's cut through because they haven't run through the floor joists, had to replace more plasterboard (Drywall) than he expected.

I'm still give thought to the 3D printer as well.

I thought that was the 'must have' toy for christmas :) just think of all the things you could do when you're snowed in :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you had any issues regarding Pi-Hole? What happens sometimes is if I refresh a page the page hangs with the message in the bottom left resolving host.....then the page stops with the message dns_probe_bad_config.
    If I look at Pi-Hole GUI you get the rotating cursor as if for some reason it has restarted, but there has been no update and the log doesn't appear to show anything.
    It always comes back up, it's just there doesn't seem to be any reason.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you had any issues regarding Pi-Hole?

Actually, the only issue I had recently was the loss of historic data. I shut down my server for a week and on a restart, for some reason, the old data wasn't there. (That was a first.)

The problem you're having may be related to updating the Docker plugin. I read a few other threads that indicate (didn't notice anything conclusive) that something changed with either Docker or the plugin itself). As usual, I'm hanging back. I can't afford headaches until the work here is, more or less, done.

Once I have a chance to look this over (setting up a local DNS resolver), I'm going to give some thought to running Pi-hole on its' native platform, an R-PI. (I have an extra one, I bought as a spare.)

the page hangs with the message in the bottom left resolving host.....then the page stops with the message dns_probe_bad_config.

I think the first thing I'd try is a new DNS server (IP address) or two.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible to get inside of one of those containers on the CLI, but the barriers to getting out again when trying to add a package from an external source.....

So, in place of the custom IP in pi-hole (the How-To has it as 127.0.0.1 the local host), did you use your OMV server's IP address?

• Offizieller Beitrag

did you use your OMV server's IP address?

No I followed the doc, so I had it set as 127.0.0.1, but that obviously doesn't work, because if I flushdns on W10 then I get the dns probe error.
    I found this doing a search, that sort of makes sense by using a bridge option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When using a Docker with a separate IP address, I was assuming that the OMV host IP (where unbound is installed) would have to be DNS server.

I haven't has a chance to test that assumption, as it would mean changing the settings recommended in the How-To considerably.
    (And I'm reluctant to muck around with my backup server because, being at the new house, it's now my primary server. :) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was assuming that the OMV host IP (where unbound is installed) would have to be DNS server.

AAAHHHH!! I think you have something there Sherlock :D so replace 127.0.0.1 with the ip of omv, but what would you set omv's dns to if using a static ip.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Got it working between the 2 IP addresses. I had to install dnsutils on this particular OMV box but, other than that, it was pretty straight forward. Now, to test it a bit.

It may still be possible that this function (unbound) might work with Pi-Hole, on an R-PI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The one thing I found was when unbound was running directly on OMV, (like I had done ) OMV could not do dns resolution.

Since you can't set a port for the dns server in the omv web interface, it would be difficult to use unbound on a port other than 53.

It may still be possible that this function (unbound) might work with Pi-Hole, on an R-PI.

I installed unbound on my pi-hole system and it works great. The system has no problem resolving dns since the dns server in /etc/resolv.conf is 127.0.0.1 which will hit dns on port 53 (pi-hole). Unbound doesn't need a valid entry in /etc/resolv.conf. If you want the system to use unbound for resolving dns, use 127.0.0.1#5353 in /etc/resolv.conf. And my system isn't an RPi but I don't see why any of this would work any different on an RPi.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just finished testing unbound and, I have to say, I'm impressed. Cached entries, 0ms. I linked from the Pi-Hole/Docker, by IPaddress#port to the OMV host and it works fine. This is far better than ISP or public resolvers.

After running through it again, I'm thinking about tacking this onto the Pi-Hole Docker How-To for those who may be interested.
    If this will work on an R-PI (here's to hoping the unbound package is available on Armbian), that's better yet.

Since you can't set a port for the dns server in the omv web interface, it would be difficult to use unbound on a port other than 53.I installed unbound on my pi-hole system and it works great. The system has no problem resolving dns since the dns server in /etc/resolv.conf is 127.0.0.1 which will hit dns on port 53 (pi-hole). Unbound doesn't need a valid entry in /etc/resolv.conf. If you want the system to use unbound for resolving dns, use 127.0.0.1#5353 in /etc/resolv.conf. And my system isn't an RPi but I don't see why any of this would work any different on an RPi.

I'm certain ryecoarrom is right about port 53. (I mucked around with port settings.) If you change the unboumd config to port 53, this might work for you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you change the unboumd config to port 53, this might work for you.

Ok I changed the port reference to 53 in /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/pi-hole.conf instead of 5353, then Pi-Hole>>>Settings>>>DNS>>>>Custom 192.168.1.40#53 and removed reference to any other DNS>>>>Save

On OMV service start unbound, the dig commands with the reference to #53 work :thumbup:

W10 ipconfig /flushdns, test web access, error DNS_PROBE_BAD_CONFIG :(

/etc/resolv.conf to use 127.0.0.1#5353 can't be done according to the warning in the file.....any changes you make will be overwritten.

So either I'm setting up something incorrectly, or there is something array with my setup, but I don't know what.

Having read this whilst I understand this, this would surely error dns requests from the OMV server i.e. omv update or apt clean.

I would have stayed on last night but around 10pm uk time the forum goes down with the maintenance/overload error, does every night.

EDIT:

The other thing I noticed was that the interface in pi-hole is set at eth0, even though I reinstalled pi-hole once I got the N54L running and it's network interface....further investigation of 01-pihole.conf in /dockerparms/pihole/dnsmasq.d has the setting as interface=eth0, eth0 was from the last server.

I'm now thinking do I just set this all up again, (but I deleted the pihole folder from /dockerparms) start with a clean install, then test the unbound option again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!