The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could statically set the DNS address, while leaving the IP address on automatic (DHCP). (I've done that before, but I forget the reason why...) But if you're there, you might as well do it all.

I can say this much:
    I have no idea how much it shortens network connections and interchanges but unbound is fast. After the first name lookup, the next is 0ms (from the OMV server's perspective).

When testing, the DNS bench mark utility shows that local resolution is faster than any server out there. Nothing else is even close.

The way I'm configured is;
    The router is the DHCP server and the DNS proxy. The router forwards DNS requests to the Pi-hole/Docker. Pi-hole forwards to unbound, on the OMV host. Even with the local links, lookups are a max of 2 ms.
    Faster, more secure, and DNSSEC is forced. It's good stuff.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The router is the DHCP server and the DNS proxy. The router forwards DNS requests to the Pi-hole/Docker. Pi-hole forwards to unbound, on the OMV host.

Your router obviously allows you to do that, but the BT Home Hub, is a complete lock down, it's plug and play for the masses my option would be to set DNS on each device leaving the satellite stuff alone.

I have one other option, after a b'band problem last week I removed the Openreach modem which was originally used in front of the BT router's that were connecting to FTTC. The routers have since moved forward and no longer require the modem, but I was still using mine, last week my connection was reading 56 Mbps, called support who were seeing 79 Mbps, so something was wrong. Long story short after a lot of switching off and on, removed the modem and connected direct to the router...result!!

I could look at the modem again as it does have dhcp on there, but I'm not sure about firewall, it's this one now I do know that everything is configurable regarding dhcp including dns, some more research and a possible workaround. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

At the new place, the ISP's ADSL router is locked down as well. There's very little I can change but one item is turning off their Wifi (which I did). With my router behind it, I'm in control again. You know, given where I am now, I'm amazed that I have 15mbs (tested) DSL. I'm 1.5 miles from the nearest paved road which, as luck would have it, happens to be where the telco has their ATM access node.

In any case, if you throw a router behind the Home Hub, things become simple but it would require an investment (OR) maybe it's time to hack the BT home hub!! (Just kidding.)

Have you heard of Open-WRT? I've been using DD-WRT and Open-WRT for years. (DD-WRT appears to be dormant now, which is a shame. They had a nice user interface.) Open-WRT is still developing images but their interface is very utilitarian. On the other hand, Open-Wrt removes the abstraction found in most router interfaces, revealing the underlying OS where power and flexibility resides.
    Using either of the two, one can take older (Ebay items - low cost) but still usable, MIMO, dual band routers, and flash them with a new image that gives them excellent capabilities.

(I found an article for Open-WRT compatible cheap routers, in their forum/community, but I can't seem to find the link again.)

Re-flashed routers and home made yagi's are how I plan to connect my small barn and the cabin. I probably wouldn't need them (the yagi's), but on the knife edge (vertical polarization) they'd stay connected even with obstacles and heavy weather in the path.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've looked at using another router, or even the Huawei HG612 the modem previously used to connect FTTC as it has a dhcp option, but this is the part I can't get my head around.
    DHCP will issue a client with an ip, subnet, dns, and gateway -> which is how the plugin works, and how I've set up dhcp within schools.
    With isp router's and bought router's with dhcp options their ip address is the gateway so there is no option in the dhcp settings for a gateway ip. If I place something behind the Home Hub I would need to 'bridge' the WAN connection to the second router, but with the HH there is no option to do that.

The option that seems the most viable is to leave the dns plugin on the main omv box, remove pi-hole docker, set up my Pi with a static ip and install pi-hole directly on the pi without docker that should allow me to set up pi-hole to use unbound. The alternative option and the one I am less enthusiastic about is to set the HH as dhcp and configure each client (except the satellite stuff) with pi-hole's dns.

I found that Open WRT hack for the HH5 sometime time ago and spent time reading through the set up pdf -> 185 pages 8o I would have to acquire another HH5 to 'play with' but I felt it was something I would not be comfortable doing....and I could end up a door stop :)

Your 15mbs ADSL is good considering the distance, our last house was only 4.5 estimated, for some reason we were on direct connection to the exchange, no ATM box therefore no potential for FTTC. But with some tweaking indoors I managed to squeeze more download speed, but the connection was prone to going down if we have had heavy rain.

Yesterday I went to help a friend with a problem on his computer, they live in what was once a medieval hall, even had it's moat most of which has been filled in. Anyway their b'band is linked to the two houses further up the lane (otherwise they would get nothing), the first house is the main link and then they have some sort of wireless/satellite connection between all three, but he gets 8mbs. Better that than nothing at all which is what he would get if left to BT.

• Offizieller Beitrag

RE Hacking the home hub - I like the idea!
    Buy one E-bay, flash it to unlock it and,,, it wouldn't work.... || ISP's are on to that. You'd have to spoof it's MAC address, other potential and unknown hardware identifiers (a key signature?) AND replicate the current configuration. If you failed in the most minor detail, your ISP might cut you off.

Setting up pi-hole on an R-PI works, this is a given. **And I just verified that unbound is available for Armbian.**
    I'm giving thought to going this route, but I need to get more of my "stuff" over here, at the new place.

The new (old) server is due in on Monday! Again, I gotta get more of my stuff over here.

A moat and they filled it in? Why? A barrier like that would keep the barbarians out, and would be far better than a lousy home security system. (Imagine the daughter trying to sneak out...) :)
    If they set up yagi's, which are high gain and highly directional, between the main house and the others, the houses farther out would have wireless Ethernet bandwidth.(300meg and up, depending on the AP's used.) With yagi's in place of those little pieces of wire, the line of site range, even for a consumer router, is around 1 to 1.5 miles.

We have sleet outside now,, a couple inches of it and nightly temperatures in the 20's F. Since daily highs are only getting into the 40's, it might be awhile before this melts off.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I like the idea of hacking a HH, the documentation is very good and there are steps of what to do if it goes wrong, the experimentation is a challenge, but I know I would get frustrated if I spent time on it and got nowhere.

Glad I mentioned the Pi and setting up Pi-Hole on it, I just assumed that Pi-Hole's main target was the Pi that there would be an unbound option.
    BTW who's moving your "stuff" yourselves, or do you get a removal company to do it.

Re the Pi, brings me to something else, I want to replace our gas hob with an induction (replaced a solid electric hob with an induction at the last house) anyway found what I want but I thought I would ask the neighbour. Anyway he came to look, turns out this is not going to be as easy as I thought! The current setup, gas hob and double oven is on 32 amp RCB, which is fine, oven 18 amp rating gas hob no more than 4 amp. A new induction hob is rated at 32 amp!! This will mean a slight rewire of the kitchen, putting the washing machine and dishwasher on there own 13 amp circuit, the cooker connect to the 32 amp kitchen ring main but on it's own 20 amp switched circuit and a new induction hob on the 32 amp cooker circuit. I'm glad I asked because I would have just disconnected the gas and connected a new induction hob, then wondered why the RCB kept tripping.
    The analogy here was always ask someone who knows!

Wow you have sleet and low temperatures, we're still in the high 50's during the day and around 10-15 at night and the wife thinks that's cold :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since your Home Hub appears to use a MIMO mesh setup, if you want to take control at some point, the same thing can be done with ASUS AiMesh. Some of the routers that are AiMesh capable, are reasonably priced in the used market, but you'd need 1 each to replace each of the BT hub boxes. And I also noted that the RT-AC86U is supported by Open-Wrt which would extend it's usable life. For mulit-band, MIMO routers, Open-Wrt supports a version of Mesh topology, but it doesn't look like a simple set up.

We're moving ourselves. I have an 18' car carrier, with a solid bed, and I added stake sides to it. Since we own both houses outright, we can take our time with moving and selling. We'd like to get the other house on the market in late spring of next year, when the market is best for selling.

Anything related to heat, that is electric, and amperage is going to be up there. Our electric stove, a 4 burner cook top with an integrated oven, has a dedicated 40amp circuit.

As part of the renovation, the very first thing on the schedule was swapping out the power panel. The existing panel was too small and, while still serviceable, something of an antique. (Mainly, I wanted to provision for 2 each 100 amp circuits for the barn and the cabin, on the house panel).

I took the kitchen area down to the wall studs to remove a side door, rearrange the windows (and change the size of the sink window), and expand a utility closet. I used most of the existing wiring, but added a dedicated microwave oven circuit (20 amps), a dedicated refrigerator circuit (20 amps), outlets (20 amps) and switched under cabinet lights on the south counter, and updated the north counter with GFI outlets (they're close to the sink). While the plaster board is off, that's the time to do it the right way.

While it's cold outside, it's certainly not cold inside. The wood stove we have keeps the interior well over 70F, easily. After I load it up, If I don't choke it down, well ,, it has been up to 80F inside. My wife loves it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those Asus "things" are seriously ugly, TBH the HH has brilliant WIFI coverage + I'm watching ebay and facebook marketplace for a HH6. The HH6 is the best ISP provided router for WIFI and considering I only have a handful of Ethernet the WIFI is very good, it has to be otherwise I would be facing grief from "her indoors" and the daughter. :)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

Just tried installing Pi-Hole on the Pi running OMV, so far it's not playing ball, have searched and found solutions but none are working, so I'm going to install Raspbian Lite, found a guide which includes installing Pi-Hole. Just completed the download, but have go to set up my laptop, no card reader on this workstation, will update if and when I get it working :)
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

I wouldn't have anywhere to put an 18' trailer let alone something to tow it :D
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

Was a bit disappointed re the electrical work, but I'm glad I asked the neighbour, but Joe said he would do it for us (I get to be a "sparkys" mate). When I told him what I had done at the previous house he thinks they were on a 40 amp circuit, whilst technically that would still not be enough, I must have been using both in such a way that they never reached capacity on the RCD..lucky me :D
    Tried to explain to the wife what had to be done her reply was, "Do any tiles, cabinets, walls, have to be removed" No I say, to which she replied "Then I don't need to know" I give up, if I don't say anything I'm in trouble, if I do say something and it's too technical we don't want to know. So working on a "need to know basis" is fine provided it's not technical :)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

Re your wood stove do you not having anything like this in the US, these things can do the cooking, heating, hot water and they are or can be multi fuel.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh well, back to Pi, and I've got dinner to cook yet, already made a loaf this morning. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

My wife would love to have something like that. (So I won't show it to her.... :) ) Man, at this point I'm tired of building or, maybe I should say, "customizing". New construction is easy. Retrofitting old construction is a royal (Harry) PITA. Everything is a freaking custom measurement were, a bit of trimming is required here or an adjustment is needed there, to install nearly anything. While I can do it, I'm worn out with all that.

This is what we have: Englander
    It's a great catalytic stove that doesn't have a ceramic catalyst to wear out! Catalytic stoves have a secondary burn that burns off wood gas. This stove was designed to set up the re-burn, again, without a catalytic element. (Awesome) In addition to being really efficient, catalytic stoves burn cleaner, without all the soot that accumulates in a chimney. For the most part, after it gets going, all that goes up the chimney is steam. While I do it more frequently (every 2 or 3 years), one could get away with chimney cleaning intervals of 4 to 5 years.

This was yet another "customization" required item. Since I don't trust even insulated double wall stainless pipe (passing through flammable materials on the way to the roof) , I got my brother-in-law to help me build a masonry chimney. After that was done, I reinforced the sub-floor, for the weight, and put in my first tile job on the floor. I pulled the plaster board from the surrounding walls and installed cement board in its place, then I put faux stone (a cement product) over that. So all is nicely fire-proof. A lot of time and effort went into it, but when it comes to fire, safety is the way to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Aga's are used a lot in the UK particularly where you can't get mains gas, as the alternative is Calor, but most would use oil, probably the only downside to them is that have to be running especially if you're running hot water from them...but they're 'bomb proof' :)
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

In other words you have a 'posh' wood burner ;) we have a gas fire in the lounge, looks like an open basket wood fire but is gas, could be replaced with a wood burner but we have to install a stainless steel liner which in turn would have to be covered in some sort of heat resistant material> The chimney is not designed is not designed for an 'open fire'. Sister in Law has 2 wood burners, and they have installed them in the holiday lets as well.
    I like them, I've always liked an open fire, I grew up with coal fires, you can warm your bum on a cold night, toast crumpets, and if you really wanna push the boat out, bake potatoes :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well so far pi hole running on Raspbian Lite is a PITA!! the pihole-FTL keeps coming up with dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use having searched for a solution most appear to be related to Ubuntu. The web gui gives Lost Connection to API.

I've spent hours on this gonna pull the plug!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install something with a desktop? I think, in this case and with weak hardware, I'd go with a minimal install.

Hum,,, I just noticed that R-PI's are not supported by Armbian. (Which might explain why our good buddy doesn't want to support R-PI's anymore. There would be some work involved in building a usable image, requiring the creation of a truly "preinstalled" image, the way it was done with OMV2 and 3. No semi-automated builds as it is with Armbian.)

Given your experience with Raspbian - I see two possibilities:

1. I think I'll try Diet-PI, which is just an extremely light version of Debian that's optimized for the R-PI. (They claim it's 3X lighter than Raspbian light.) Pi-hole installs on it, natively. An SSH server would be needed (I'd go with OpenSSH so WinSCP is supported). Then the last question to ask would be, will unbound install on the command line?

(If the above doesn't work>)

2. I might start with a OMV3.0.99 build for the R-PI, again Debian, and uninstall openmediavault 3.0.99.
    That would free up port 80 for pi-holes purposes and it should provide a base that unbound would install to.

I'll be giving it a try soon - when I collect some more of my "stuff" and get my room in shape.

I didn't consider the new "Englander" stove to be "posh". (Is it the name? :) ) After combing through the reviews, everyone seemed to like it and now I have a good idea why. It's fairly easy to get started and it puts out - it's very good for "warming the bum". :)

I grew up with wood heat and learned a few things in the process. Other than a mesmerizing mood enhancer, if one wants actual "heat", fireplaces are a waste of wood. The old stoves (even the good ones) worked, but they were brute force heating for houses with little to no insulation. One had to practically hug them to get warm,, on one side. Being truly warm was a flipping operation, not unlike flipping a hamburger. Still, thinking about those times, the best sleep I've ever had was in an old cold farmhouse, with 3 quilts and soft blanket. It made one hate getting out of bed in the morning.

My old stove (Energy King 2000c) was designed to either be a fireplace insert or free standing with a pipe adapter. I've been using it for just under 30 years. (At least, during the times when I wasn't overseas which were significant chunks of that period.) It had more of a posh look to it. Unlike the picture in the link, the bay window/door frame in my stove is cast brass. It looks good but it's a PITA to keep it polished and looking good. That one, with a catalyst element that must be replaced every 5 to 10 years, is going to convey with the house.

While it's not as efficient as the new one, it's a double wall stove that draws air in at the bottom and sides, and blows it out of the overhanging lip at the top (You can't actually see the slots in the photo). It has a serious blower in it and the focused heat stream, up close, is awesome. During really cold days in winters past, we used to spread a blanket in front of it and take a nap in the stream of hot air.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was using Raspbian Lite....but this morning looks as if I have an sd card problem as the W10 laptop doesn't see it!! so perhaps that was part of the problem...new sd card then. :)
    The Diet-Pi option looks a good alternative but reading through the guide looks like I shall have to connect to a TV rather an ssh option..not a problem.
    That first link to the Pi Images works fine, the second detects the ad blocker :) and won't let me view the screen.

UPDATE:
    May not be the card! Have managed to get this sorted on the wife's 32 bit W10, back to my 64 bit used Etcher to write the image, booted :thumbup: however, it still goes pear shaped, have searched around and it seems that dnsmasq is baulked in Debian...info hereand here on pihole The problem I find (and it may be just me) if you open a .conf file using sudo nano it's blank even though it isn't, because it will open as root, and it will open on W10 with Ext2Read and Notepad ++ installed.

FURTHER UPDATE:
    Using the second link I checked /etc/init.d/dnsmasq on W10...I don't have a dnsmasq conf file no wonder it was blank!!

So back to the drawing board and download DietPi that at least will allow a root user login and hopefully dnsmasq is functioning
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

TBH never heard of 'Catalytic' wood burners this site explains the functionality which by reading it improves the stoves efficiency, but the price on that site is a bit eye popping :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Pi-Hole does work with DietPi :thumbup:

However, this will help you;

Install OpenSSH from the dietpi-software menu by selecting the installed SSH, not the usual apt-get

DietPi will boot using dhcp, but change this to static using dietpi-config -> do this before you install Pi-Hole that way during Pi-Hole's installation you tell it to use the existing ip address. I didn't, I assumed, wrongly that by setting the ip during the install of Pi-Hole it would change. Thinking about it that was somewhat naive on my part!

In WinSCP I have set show hidden files and folders, this displays a hidden pihole directory in /etc

The mac address to add to my main omv information I had to search on how to find it, because ifconfig came back with command not found ?(

The last option is copy that FTL for ipv6, then check to see if unbound will work -> well unbound is not in the dietpi-software db

UPDATE:

Unbound will install, apt-get install unbound from the cli

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well,, I simply looked at a map, but you followed the route! :) I know exactly what to do now - thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

Since we're talking about a near zero resources setup, I have an older B+ model I think I'll use for this. (The pi-hole folks say an R-PI zero would do the job for this function.) Of course since I only have the one B+, I'll test the resultant install on the 2B+ to see if it works. I believe in backup.

My only concern would be a folder-to-ram option (the flash-mem plugin, in OMV) to slow down writes to SD-card for longer life. However, given that Diet-Pi is supposedly optimized for platforms that use SD-cards, one would think this has been taken into account.

If that's a non-issue, this is a great use for an R-PI or other SBC. A sort of firmware (solid state), low power, DNS Proxy, ad-blocking appliance, with a local recursive DNS server. I might even use Pi-hole's DHCP server. It's a safe as well, because all if it can be undone in a minute or two, with a couple changes at the router.

My new/old Intel server arrives on Wednesday. (Estimated) I'm at the old house right now collecting some "stuff", my fast client, and my main OMV server. (I think I'll bring the spare - the Acer RC111, I was using at the new place, back over here.) The drives in the EX470 are going into the Intel Box when it arrives.

I'm giving thought to returning the EX470's BIOS to stock settings and selling it on E-bay. Amazingly, HP EX boxes are selling for $50 and up. One has to wonder what people are doing with them. (A replacement server or parts, for businesses on closed networks?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well,, I simply looked at a map, but you followed the route! I know exactly what to do now - thanks for the tips.

I was just pleased to get it sorted, there is one quirky thing which I can't get my head around you get an information screen displayed before the login prompt on ssh, one thing it displays is the ip of eth0, it still shows the original dhcp address.

TBH the menu driven functionality rather than a web gui is helpful rather than having a true headless version. As I've got unbound installed and at present pi hole is not being referenced on my network it would be a good opportunity to test, to see if this works well at least for me.

Re the folder-to-ram option, I did find something in a howto relating to Raspbian Lite and pihole's installation, I'll see if I can find it again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH never heard of 'Catalytic' wood burners this site explains the functionality which by reading it improves the stoves efficiency, but the price on that site is a bit eye popping :)

That's the genius behind the Englander design - a catalytic reaction without a ceramic platinum based catalytic element. They have stainless tubes in the top (4 each) with small holes drilled at diameters and angles that vary with each tube. On top of them, there's ceramic fiber boards. The stainless tubes with holes, even without an apparent fuel source, seem to burn wood gas like a burner on a natural gas stove. This link shows the interior view, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

It's the cleanest burning stove on the market and since that includes catalytic stoves, that's remarkable.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

RE Pi-Hole:

Well,, I simply looked at a map, but you followed the route! :) I now know exactly what to do now - thanks for the tips. :thumbup:

Since we're talking about a near zero resources setup, I have an older B+ model I think I'll use for this. (The pi-hole folks say an R-PI zero can do the job.) Of course, since I only have the one B+, I'll test the resultant install on a 2B+ to see if it works for backup purposes.

My only concern would be a folder-to-ram option (the flash-mem plugin, in OMV) to slow down writes to SD-card, for longer life. However, given that Diet-Pi is supposedly optimized for platforms that use SD-cards, one would think this has already been taken into account.

If that's a non-issue, this is a great use for an R-PI or other SBC. A sort of firmware (solid state), low power, DNS Proxy, ad-blocking appliance with a local recursive DNS server. I might even use Pi-hole's DHCP server. It's a safe option as well, because backing out if it can be done in a minute or two, with a couple changes at the router.

My new/old Intel server arrives on Wednesday. (Estimated.) I'm at the old house right now collecting some "stuff", my fast client, and my main OMV server. (I think I'll bring the OMV spare - the Acer RC111, I was using at the new place, back over here.) The drives in the EX470 are going into the Intel Box when it arrives. I'm thinking about getting an SSD and installing ESXi or Proxmox on the Intel server- maybe as winter project, as I'm sure we're going to get snowed in.

I'm also giving thought to returning the EX470's BIOS to stock settings, reinstalling Windows Homeserver, and selling it on E-bay. Amazingly, HP EX boxes are selling for $50 and up. One has to wonder what people are doing with them. (A replacement server, parts, for businesses on closed networks?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well unbound works and this is the output from the benckmark

I've managed to test this because when I was testing previously my workstation has a static ip, with cloudflare as the dns, so changing the dns server to pihole on dietpi was straight forward.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cached entries are a bit slower, but that's to be expected as the unbound DNS cache is filled. Still, they're not much slower than up-line DNS servers. (Curious - I got no cached results in my test.) Uncached name requests, which is the purpose of unbound, are smokin' fast. What do you think? Are you going to use the setup or test it for awhile?

I have my fast client at the new place. Wireless - good for laptops but that's about it. I have 130mbs on a wireless adapter to a single band N router. Not bad for internet stuff, but I have some Cat5 wiring to do for the server and fixed client connections.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!