The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an interesting issue with pi-hole in the docker, working with unbound. I can't get into the admin page anymore. When I try, the Docker resets.

In unbound, I noticed with the status command that the log file /var/log/unbound/unbound.log didn't exist. I created it the log file, gave others write to the file and that part seems to work. It seems that all is working but I don't know what to make of the pi-hole console page.

Edit: The problem occurs only when accessing the Pi-hole/admin page from this client. Maybe the browser cache? Weird....

Anything new on the R-PI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes I noticed the difference between your dns test and mine, could that be a Pi restriction? I don't know.

I never noticed the error re the unbound log, have done the same created the file and given others write access, seems to be working.

I thought I would leave my workstation with the Pi dns for a few days before moving over the rest of the network, I have therefore reduced the lease time for dhcp on the main omv. This should help transition from one pi hole to the other, particularly with the satellite stuff.

That pi hole/admin error 'might be' related to browser cache, to be sure I now use at least another two browsers, just to confirm.

As for the Pi seems Ok, but I'm hardly stressing it out and I've not noticed any page load improvement -> and piholes whitelist from the gui still doesn't work!

Wow just checked my b'band connection uptime, since removing the modem and using the router it's been up nine days, that's a first, but it's still early. The router has a 'bug' and the router will re start with the syslog giving OpenRG is going for reboot by IPC command, it's been around since the HH4 not sure if it's still there in the HH6.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the log file and access, after checking the user list, it seems unbound adds a user - if you want to tighten access. (Not much point in it - it's a single log file.)

You were right about the browser and pi-holes strange behavior. I used IE for the admin page, on this client, no problem. In any case, I'm not clearing Firefox's cache unless it's absolutely necessary - there's too many settings in it for sites I use.

I don't know if your DHCP servers on-line at the same time thing will work (well). The can't have overlapping ranges. (They probably don't. Pi-hole's default range is odd when compared to routers, it starts high up there). In any case, if two DHCP servers can live together, the lease will come from the first server to respond and there may be two responses set at the same time which might cause some strange behavior.

I'm actually looking forward to building a pi-hole / R-PI, but it's going into the "things to do" queue. If it proves to be reliable, Docker(s) can be used for other things that are not as critical to network op's.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry looking back at that post it sounds confusing, I've only got one dhcp running (on the main omv) lease time is one day and this uses the current Docker pi-hole. But due to the satellite stuff, I'll need to reduce the lease time so that when/if I switch dns to DietPi they should behave, if there so much as a twitch in network, internet connection they throw a wobble and I have to reset them as they all talk to each other -> so I'll be going up and down stairs to get them all to re connect. PITA!

This was interesting but as it's back from Apr-Aug I assume it's been resolved, also discovered that Pi-Hole was hosted in their software db.

Having read that thread I've just checked DietPi for service dnsmasq status -> returned could not be found, so dnsmasq is not running which is interesting as on OMV with the plugin and Pi-Hole in Docker dnsmasq is running. Reading that thread since Pi-Hole's official implementation of FTLDNS the DietPi dev's have already made changes, could be why the current set up is working Ok.

The only thing we don't know instead of using Docker to install Pi-Hole from the cli on OMV, but my real problem is I can't use the Pi-Hole's dhcp due to the satellite stuff, my only option would be to use the router for dhcp and configure dns on each machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thomas Crapper's... I was looking forward to being able to do a simple Pi-hole update in the admin page, retaining settings, etc., versus the Docker route where container setup most be spot perfect.

I hope they've resolved this and odds are they have. That's a benefit of using Diet-PI; Pi-hole is offered as a package in their software installer so they'd almost have to work through version upgrade issues. In any case, I'll be sure to backup the SD-card before trying a Pi-hole update.

To take a break from the house, I might try to build the B model R-PI this evening.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, I meant to add in the previous post, can you keep the sleet over there, forecast for tomorrow is sleet! that means everything could grind to a halt, an 1" of snow and the UK can be in chaos :D

Pi-hole is offered as a package in their software installer so they'd almost have to work through version upgrade issues

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing: then why did I install from the cli!!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing: then why did I install from the cli!!!!

Really! :) Didn't you see their installer when you logged in? (Admittedly, a text based menu installer doesn't grab one's attention.)
    _____________________________________________________________________________

I don't know... You might want to uninstall Pi-hole on the command line and reinstall it, using the Diet-Pi installer. I'm thinking they may have made the changes and adjustments, need to fix those issues you linked to above, and those required changes may be triggered when you use their installer. (Also, given the Pi-hole port 80 requirement, I'd avoid installing anything that's web based until you know, for a fact, it doesn't use port 80 on the local host.

I haven't install unbound yet (I'm still looking over Diet-Pi with Pi-hole installed). Holy smokes,, an R-PI B+ is dog slow. I think my Diet-Pi image was a bit out of date (9 months or so old). It took it somewhere around 15 - 25 minutes to come up-to-date. (At least the process was fully automated.) Even installing Pi-hole and the requisite Web server was glacial. I'm going to come up with a way to hammer it, while monitoring VIA SSH with HTOP.

My Intel server arrived today. I'm getting ready to unbox it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been testing Pi-hole/Unbound on an R-PI B. The only way I could drive the R-PI CPU to 100% was to update "Gravity" in the Pi-hole admin page, and that was momentary, toward the end of the update. Switching pages, in Pi-hole hit the CPU for something between 14 and 20%.

New lookups, for domains and sites not in the cache, come out at about 1 to 2% for Pi-hole and 1 to 2% for unbound. Running htop actually takes a bit more than Pi-hole or unbound. If this scales, the R-Pi B could handle at least 20 new lookups without being swamped. For home use, I think it's a "GO". I'm going to test this with one of my clients for awhile and, if all goes well, I'll consider making it permanent.

The new server is big, as tall as a full tower case and a bit wider, and it's also in decent cosmetic shape. (None of that will matter, in a corner of a walk-in closet.) For drive additions, the only way to do better would be one of those rack/drive cases designed for a server farm. (And with 3' cables, I'm not beyond using an external drive cage if I have to. :) It came with two plugable 600W supplies. I think one will be more than enough. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In all honesty I never thought to check the software db for an installer, well you live and learn. Anyway who does RTFM :?:

Pi-hole uninstall -> well that didn't work! it hung and I left for 30 mins and pulled the plug, (if in doubt use the big red switch), so seeing as how you've got his running I'll start again :)

Secretly I had hoped you would install it because I guessed you would test the hell out of it just to ensure it's robust enough :thumbup:

2x600w power supplies what was it designed to run? That is definitely bigger than the one I have, but I must admit I like the build quality of those Intel servers, the last school server was Intel as well had the capacity for two banks of ram and two cpu's. If I ever had to restart it it sounded like a jet powering up it's engines ready for take off :D Well have fun playing with your new 'toy' I'm sure you will -> does that mean the wife will get a new Aga :D:D

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Anyway who does RTM :?:

2. Secretly I had hoped you would install it because I guessed you would test the hell out of it just to ensure it's robust enough :thumbup:

3. 2x600w power supplies what was it designed to run?

1. I do, when I'm in unknown territory. As a direct result, I've learned a few things about this server that I find simply amazing.

For example, it has a "memory mirror" option. You install 128GB, for example, and use 64GB of it. The other half of it is for backup. That seems to be a bit extreme for availability - talking about mission critical support.... Also, the MOBO does "memory scrubs" with options for the same in BIOS, searching for the odd "flipped bit". Man, I wasn't a server jockey back in the day, so this level of extreme "data conservatism" surprises me.

2. I would have (installed and tested), but I couldn't lay my hands on the hardware and a spare SD-card etc. (I have a good part of my "stuff" now. ) I can't test concurrent requests from multiple clients but, given what I found in, I don't think it's necessary. Cached entries are real time and don't even move the CPU needle, as far as I can tell. Uncached name requests will be an infrequent event, overall, so I can't see how 10 or 20 devices could overwhelm the R-PI. While reliability of the SD-card is always a wild card, this setup should be fine for home use.

3. That's a redundancy option - they're side-by-side in the same form factor as a full sized power supply. I booted it with one 600 watt PS unplugged and I suspect the actual requirement would be satisfied with 400 watts, even with 2 CPU's, 6 drives, and a ton of memory.

A couple questions for you:
    - I was going through BIOS options and when I got the to the adaptec controller's BIOS (which does JBOD - thankfully), I noted a "low level" drive formatter. It claimed to mark off bad sectors on a drive, before use, much like what Spinrite does. Have you ever used it?
    While I have a faster (6GB) drive controller coming, I'm giving thought to leaving this (3GB per sec) adaptec controller in place. I'd have to look up the numbers but in a JBOD set up, with drives spinning at 7200 and below, and with no plans to set up RAID5 or similar, I don't think I'll hit the throughput ceiling.

- The Air Duct over the CPU - you said yours didn't have that?

I'm really happy with the server so far and you were right about the doc's - plenty available. It's clean as a whistle, and all of the hardware is well thought out, high quality, and server grade throughout.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well reinstalled dietpi and this time installed Pi-hole from the software menu, added unbound and seems to be working Ok will leave this for a change over tomorrow. Will also have to get another SD card purely for backup purposes.
    I've got other issues regarding docker, watchtower cannot perform update requests, I found a reference to it on github but that was from last year, since then there has been an update to watchtower so I assume the specific error was resolved with the update.

Never used the low level format option on the server, last time I used that option was in the days of scsi drives, spoke to the vendor I got the kit from and he suggested to run a low level format on them and that solved the problem. I remember when you could run that option from the bios to low level format an ide drive.

No the server I had didn't have the 'air duct' had a cpu fan and a case fan, tbh the n54l is enough for my needs, if I ever needed to move on then I would look at a mini itx system.

Mentioning Spinrite, I tried to run this on my laptop yesterday to check the drive, but it wouldn't run not sure if this is related to the fact that uefi is enabled in the bios -> just searched as my brain kicked in, you have to turn that off in the bios for it run!
    Still not convinced I have an issue with that laptop, mine runs 64 bit W10 the wife's runs 32 bit, hers never causes a problem, updates always deploy, never seems to run slow and she has multiple windows open (usually file explorer).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well reinstalled dietpi and this time installed Pi-hole from the software menu, added unbound and seems to be working Ok will leave this for a change over tomorrow. Will also have to get another SD card purely for backup purposes.

You don't really need another SD-card for backup, for this purpose. (I'm thinking of it as a DNS appliance.) If you read the SD-card to an *.img file and verify it, the file itself is backup if you store it.

Lately, before I do an update rotation, I'm saving the *.img file with the host name and date in the name. After verifying it, I then do an MD5 hash on the image, compress the image with 7-zip, and store the image with its hash. I still believe in at least 2 physical boot drives for a backup server (3 for the main server). But since I have plenty of space in the data store, maintaining a dated image archive may have benefits.

For the R-PI, with Pihole and unbound, the boot SD-card and an image file for backup is good enough for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have added the dietpi dns to the dhcp on omv, set that as the first dns once all the leases have been renewed I shall remove the current pi-hole from docker, although I can't see a problem having both. No sure how effective this will be or if there will be any issues, but so far on my workstation it's working fine.
    I've also set the Use Conditional Forwarding on dietpi's pi-hole this then displays hostnames rather than ip addresses.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

New induction hob arrived today, but I'm also contemplating replacing the cooker for a pyrolytic, but the oven cupboard will require altering, we have a double oven, the new one is a large single. There's less than 20cm's in the height differnce, 2 batons either side, new shelf, then something to fill in the gap at the front, will have to see what the wife says.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So far, so good with the Diet-Pi. It's a bare board sitting there, next to my router. I need to get a case for it :) , then stick it in a closet when the wiring is done - maybe velcro it to my server. In the interim, I'm going to leave Pi-hole in Docker and just disable the Docker plugin until I use it for something else.

I was fiddling around with Open-WRT and found that configuring a router (a TP-link W940N) as a wireless bridge (an extension of the same network) is either impossible or, well, I just haven't figured out how to configure it yet. Moreover, getting my existing DD-WRT router to actually "route", to another network behind a client IP address, seems to be yet another problem. While I suspected as much, these cheap consumer routers seem to be nothing more than a switch, with a single static route. I.E. if the destination is not here (lan interfaces), it goes there (wan interface). I must be missing something(s) :) .

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat with you. Our phones, entertainment and other come over the net so my wife frowns on extended outages for "re-configuration".

Your hob sounds like it could be a PITA. Man, retrofitting something like that into an existing space.... Nothing is ever truly square! And it's damxed hard to make it "look square", when it's not. Trim work can be a tricky thing, especially if your wife has an eye for detail. While I'm loosening up with age, when it comes to fit and finish, I'm still my own worst critic.

I've got to get back to my reno work soon - I've been taking a break for the last few days.... I have just a week or so of work to do to be finished. Well, when it comes to any house, "finished" is a relative term but it will be nice when my "to-do" list is converted to the standard "Honey-Do" list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your hob sounds like it could be a PITA. Man, retrofitting something like that into an existing space

Are you communicating with the wife :D funny she said the same, the idea of taking out a double oven installing a single then trying to fill the gap did not appeal! Funny I do all the cooking so it's me that cleans the oven :) the thought of having a self clean oven was appealing.

I was fiddling around with Open-WRT and found that configuring a router (a TP-link W940N) as a wireless bridge (an extension of the same network)

I did this at the last place house because the wireless wasn't brilliant upstairs, I had two BT Home Hubs (in the early models their wifi was pants!) If I remember all I did on the second hub was to disable dhcp and the firewall changed it's ip address (that much you can do) set the wifi ssid the same as the one downstairs with the same password etc then used ethernet powerplugs to connect to the downstairs hub thereby extending the range of the wifi.
    With the HH's being locked down there isn't much you can change, the neighbour over the road had to do something similar to get wifi into the loft bedrooms.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did this at the last place house because the wireless wasn't brilliant upstairs, I had two BT Home Hubs (in the early models their wifi was pants!) If I remember all I did on the second hub was to disable dhcp and the firewall changed it's ip address (that much you can do) set the wifi ssid the same as the one downstairs with the same password etc then used ethernet powerplugs to connect to the downstairs hub thereby extending the range of the wifi.

(OK, it's my turn.) I tried all that, "teacher". :)

SSID+password, join wirelessly with router 1 (success), static address on the wireless interface within the network joined - in client mode, kill DHCP on router 2, bridge the wireless interface to the lan ports (switch), and other tweaks and adjustments. (All, in a short outage window.) No-worky..
    Similarly, when changing DD-WRT from "gateway" mode to "router" (where two routers and sub-nets are involved - actual routing), one simple change and traffic stopped immediately. Again, with no time to look under the hood.. I need to look at this again for my curiosity alone. Given this little debacle, I can see the appeal of easy to set up mesh

Man, I had a weird exchange in a ZFS thread:
    Sometime back, a NOOB posts in a ZFS thread and says (basically) "ZFS sucks", and drops an external link. Out of curiosity, I read the external blog, which was rant (there's no other way to describe it) complete with crass, insulting, over the top language. ((For anyone with any sense of decor, it would make the eyes glaze over.))

In the ZFS thread - my take on that was; "if given a choice between the vetted work of Sun Corp's computer scientists or an unsubstantiated opinion piece, I'll go with the scientists."

Well, the author of the blog decided to chime in, on my opinion, in this forum. The vast majority of that post seemed to be a moral authority piece about my "attack" on his blog, which was long on his opinion about how screwed up I am and short on actual substance. He even provided a study that supports his position. What a surprise. :) ((The thing about the study is, so much as been written about ZFS over the years, it's possible to cherry one that would loosely support just about any position.))

In actual substance, the exchange distilled down to the following:

- Scientists can be wrong.
    (me) Yes, but sometimes they're right and they document the details.

- ZFS doesn't protect from data corruption.
    True, in some cases, but implementation is key. If implemented correctly it does.

- What proof do you have (that it works)?
    I tested it - it works. (With a brief description of how I tested.)

- ZFS shouldn't be recommend to NOOB's - it's too complex.
    I didn't include a response to that, but I don't recommended ZFS to beginners - I recommend BACKUP.
    For NOOB's, in my opinion, EXT4 makes the most sense.

In wrapping it up, I asked a question:
    - For corruption protection, do you know of anything that's better (than ZFS) for corruption protection?
    "No. But I don't use it. I do something else." (I think it was XFS over mdadm RAID5.)

Umm, :?::?:

If this guy would really look at it, really sift through it, he might be able see his own bias.

Myself, I've said it before, I'm not a fan of ZFS. While it's much lighter than I thought it was, originally, it's still resource intensive. Bitrot/corruption protection comes with a stiff premium, at 2x the drive real-estate. The lack of Linux kernel integration makes keeping ZFS, and a server up-to-date, more of a PITA than it needs to be. It's way too complex for casual home use which, I'm guessing, is at least half of the OMV user base. But, in it's defense, it works, it's mature, it's thoroughly tested and it has features that work very well (like snapshots). Again, not a fan, but for what I want to do it seems to be the only thing out there.

I haven't had a chance to test corruption recovery yet but, I'm seriously looking at Uniofs+SNAPRAID. It's bitrot requirements are lighter and, in some respects, it's more flexible than ZFS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

(OK, it's my turn.) I tried all that, "teacher".

I thought you might have, but it was the way I resolved it at our last house, fortunately due to the hardware updates in the HH, wifi is no longer an issue. The satellite equipment incorporates it's own mesh, if I used that supplier for my broadband then their router creates a home mesh network, tbh where we are now it would be overkill.

I saw that ZFS thread, obviously someone on here thought it prudent to inform him regarding the posts after the link was posted. I've looked at his blog and he references the thread on OMV, I have no problem people defending their opinion if they do it in their own backyard. I failed to understand why he needed to do that here, then actually posted in his own blog that he'd done it.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

You mentioned UnionFS and Snapraid before and I had decided that would be a better option than continuing with my raid5 now I've got some extra drives in the mircroserver. I'm seriously contemplating a totally clean install, but that might me a step too far.

But with the 4 drives I have to move to UnionFs and Snapraid one would use 3 drives for UnionFS keeping one back for parity on Snapraid.
    _________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't expect you to be around today with it being thanksgiving.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Our usual Thanksgiving guests, the brother-in-law, had to work today and the sister-in-law ( 8o ) had other plans. (Someone up there loves me. :) ) So we're staying here, at the new place. No traffic to deal with and we'll have a quiet dinner.

On your HOB, I'm with you. If you're the one that uses it AND you're installing it, the wifes input doesn't weigh as heavy. (Provided that the end result is not an eye sore, of course.)

I saw that ZFS thread, obviously someone on here thought it prudent to inform him regarding the posts after the link was posted. I've looked at his blog and he references the thread on OMV, I have no problem people defending their opinion if they do it in their own backyard. I failed to understand why he needed to do that here, then actually posted in his own blog that he'd done it.

I'm still trying to figure out what he's actually defending. Was it ZFS sucks, or is it that XFS on mdadm RAID5 is better? First it was, ZFS doesn't protect data. Then it's acknowledged that it does, in some modes. But, when asked a direct question - if he knew of something that was better than ZFS for corruption protection - the answer was "No"... (In the second to the last para of his second post.)

Other than "ZFS is complex", given, and that "it's not for NOOB's", obvious, well,, I must have missed the actual point if there was one mixed in with all of the tangents and hyperbole.
    ((I mean, a lecture on "irresponsible advocacy" for ZFS? Really? It smacked of an ethic's in computing admin class - something we all need. :rolleyes: ))

These characters that feel the need to be right all the time, even with righteous indignation; maybe it's age related, but I actually find their notions to be entertaining. When it comes to technical applications and approaches, there is very little that's right or wrong in an absolute sense. So, why make superfluous arguments in the first place? (Because,,, we have to be right all the time... :) )

It's about use cases and trying to, but never truly achieving, an optimum result. That's largely due to the goal be an ever moving target, with factors that are on a sliding scale, old tech versus new tech, cost, complexity, learning curves and human nature itself.
    I believe in an old axiom of "tech", that I used this to brief management, when a budget was in question:
    Low cost, High performance, Easy to use. (Pick any two. :) )

I might be touched by his sentiments regarding NOOB's, if I though he actually meant it. Noting the link the to Users Guide below (where there's no mention of ZFS) what has he actually done to help NOOB's out? Pontificate in a blog? (Does that remind you of someone we both know? ) He'd probably be the last to extend a NOOB a helping hand because such would be beneath him. That's a guess, to be fair, but probably true.

Ok, I'll get of the soap box now. :D It's getting close to supper time!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah but your good at soap box :D tbh I get enough of the sister in law opinion being right I now have a tendency to switch off, I've done enough searching on the net to find differing opinions and views and in some cases one will invariably contradict the other so for the average end user (like me) it's very difficult to formulate a decision.

The real problem I have is understanding the techno babble and for that reason I'm happy to stay with the tried and tested method and just back up, for the average user why change the shape of the wheel only for the user to ask for help should something go wrong as most don't search for a possible solution.
    You look on here at the number using a Pi, there's nothing wrong with that but they have failed themselves by not researching what they want to use it for, then wonder why something doesn't work. Worst still they will set up -> somehow, a raid config, use external drives without a power source.
    On the other hand you look at it from a user point of view and try and simplify it i.e. for and against based upon what you want to use it for. For me personally I whilst I used to backup important files, things like Movies, Music etc have not been an issue, we don't have a huge amount of digital pictures as most of ours are in photo albums -> the old way :) But since being on here I now backup everything, the only thing I don't do is create backups of working laptops -> why, it just as easy to reinstall an o/s and all the software I use is online -> length of time to redeploy/install a laptop less than a day, and we're currently looking at moving to M/S Office 365 for home use.
    Your own setup is way more than what I need let alone justify, but if I could go back 30+ years with the tech of today I probably would because I would have so much more personal stuff I would not want to lose. I appreciate your input, and your soap box mode I usually have to read twice and even scratch my head and say yyeeaahh Ok 'I think I understand that' :) but that doesn't matter. :thumbup:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

The ovens never gonna happen -> oven cabinet is a generic size whether you in put a double or single oven, if you put in a single oven you put in a shelf which then leaves a gap between the shelf and the base of the unit. You are then supplied with a 'filler panel' which is the same in all respects to cupboard doors and drawer fronts -> it's that that would be the problem to match, hence the wife's reluctance in doing it. The fact I would save £200 on the oven is irrelevant it's the aesthetics :) so SWMBO has the last word :rolleyes:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now got everything backed up, so I can start looking at what I'm going to do to get away from the raid 5.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ovens never gonna happen -> oven cabinet is a generic size whether you in put a double or single oven, if you put in a single oven you put in a shelf which then leaves a gap between the shelf and the base of the unit. You are then supplied with a 'filler panel' which is the same in all respects to cupboard doors and drawer fronts -> it's that that would be the problem to match, hence the wife's reluctance in doing it. The fact I would save £200 on the oven is irrelevant it's the aesthetics :) so SWMBO has the last word :rolleyes:

That is hysterical -> SWMBO - both my wife and I laughed about that one.

Matching the filler panel might still be possible. Take something with the color she wants (maybe a cabinet door?) to a place that sells paint, with one of those optical camera/scanners, and have them match the color. In my experience, the match may not be absolutely perfect but it will be close enough where, if there's a border around the panel, one couldn't tell the difference. They might force you to buy a whole gallon to mix it, so it that might set you back 20 to 30 pounds. (Just a thought.)

While you probably do it because you enjoy it, if you made a fresh loaf in the morning, I'd do the shopping for you (that's just fair IMO). But I'm glad you don't live here. With fresh warm bread everyday, I'd be as big as a house.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah but your good at soap box :D tbh I get enough of the sister in law opinion being right I now have a tendency to switch off, I've done enough searching on the net to find differing opinions and views and in some cases one will invariably contradict the other so for the average end user (like me) it's very difficult to formulate a decision.

Yeah, my eyes glaze over as well. A bit of bias, sure. We're not omnipotent so our personal experiences form what must called "personal bias". That's to be expected. It's when someone believes that their personal knowledge and experiences should apply to "all" - is when the trouble starts.

In retrospect, I handled that exchange badly. I let myself get drawn into his little bubble. I should have done something like:

Wow, that's a big post. I guess you really showed me, uh? Good for you!
    And look, you liked your own post. Isn't that special?
    Opinions are what they are. You have yours and I have mine. There's no need for either of us to defend them, so...
    We already have a forum pontiff. There's no vacancy here, so run along back to your blog.

RE the forum pontiff:
    You know, the opportunity missed in that exchange was hooking our forum buddy up with this guy. Can you imagine! :D I'm thinking, "anachronistic storage methods in modern times" - mdadm RAID, etc., etc.. And it would have been so easy to trigger!
    If you're looking for an informed option, let me refer you to "name", one our forum storage experts....
    It would have been epic! :thumbup: One could sit on the side lines, with a bag of virtual popcorn, and jump in now and then to stir the pot! Crappers, I'm virtually kicking my own bum for not thinking of that. Oh well, should'a, could'a, would'a.

It's good that you have solid backup. I really like the UnionFS+SNAPRAID combo but, again, I have yet to test recovering slightly corrupted files. (And the outcome of a SNAPRAID scrub event, pointed to the slightly corrupted file.) It's disturbing how many of these solutions don't actually work, largely because users don't test their individual use cases and give the developer feedback.
    Again, if it works as advertised, less hard drive real-estate is involved for bitrot protection and one has a type of local backup. ZFS SNAPSHOT's are far better and here are a ton of restoration options that go back in time but, restoration with SNAPRAID appears to be both simple and effective. Overall, if it tests OK, I think SNAPRAID is good for casual home use.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!