The Class E Network

• New

geaves wrote:

To have that amount of hardware would not be worth the grief from you know who
      Yeah, I know who you're talking about - SHMBO.
      On my end, the situation is a bit different. She's Irish and since my heritage (way back) is traceable to England, it's almost a genetic imperative - I must "oppress". :) (And if you believe that...)

flmaxey wrote:

I'm going to rerun the test, with the case assembled this time, to see what happens.
      I reran the the full mem-test and this time it was error free, row hammer tests and all. But, this time, I had the case fully assembled... (That sounds like voodoo BS, uh?) In the bottom line, there's no "there", there, so I'm a happy camper. I'll run it one more time with the X5660's installed to make sure their cache is OK.

ryecoaaron wrote:

You could use snapshots for this too. Set a snapshot, try your test, rollback to the snapshot. This is supported in the free version.
      Sure, but one of the things I did with OMV in Virtualbox was, do the basic build, set up a bunch of virtual 5GB drives and clone it a few times. One clone was configured for mdadm RAID, the 2nd ZFS, the 3rd EXT4 and MergerFS+SNAPRAID, etc. Cloning is useful for branching a basic build into different directions and keeping them for testing. It certainly saves time.

Proxmox seems interesting enough and there's more than a bit of reading to be done on :!: Ceph :!: . (As if ZFS wasn't enough.)

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit ().

• New

flmaxey wrote:

Yeah, I know who you're talking about
      :D :D I could get away with it if it was hidden away i.e in the loft, but due to the odds of 2 to 1 the loft and the best part of the garage is "storage" for their needs, I mean why/how is it that a female has a summer and winter wardrobe which, if one was not packed away would require copious amounts of storage in a bedroom. That's without the necessary shoe storage, that's a don't go there subject, so I have to think small and hope that it returns big, if not, live with what you've got.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • New

There's a LOT to absorb on the Ceph topic but, with the barest of overviews, it seems to be interesting. I'm not sure I could do much with a cluster configuration (who knows what could be done in VM's?) so I'll be looking at what can be done at the host level with 5 or 6 physical drives. That's the limiting factor and the the real expense - storage media.

I'm taking a first look at OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster). It's loading it into a VM. We'll see if there are any (BTRFS) surprises.

Edit:
      Well that didn't work out very well. While going through the script process.....

root@OMV5-BETA:/# apt-get update
      Get:1 ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster InRelease [154 kB]
      Hit:2 security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
      Get:3 packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease [12.7 kB]

Err:3 packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease
      The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
      Reading package lists... Done
      W: GPG error: packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
      E: The repository 'http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul InRelease' is not signed.

N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
      N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

root@OMV5-BETA:/#

Video Guides :!: New User Guide :!: Docker Guides :!: Pi-hole in Docker
      Good backup takes the "drama" out of computing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by flmaxey: edit. ().

• Users Online 1

1 Guest